Post-Game Talk: Leafs Shutout 2-0

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Who thinks Babcock listens to Dubas' advice?
No one is going to listen to Dubas' advice.

Look at the last two games. The opponents, two big teams, gave the smaller Leafs forwards no room, and shut them down for long stretches at a time.

What's Dubas' advice? The players need to play like they're bigger?

If Dubas' advice is to get the defense involved more with the offense, that could work.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Mike Babcock is like a jockey that doesn’t know his horse’s strength/style. Instead of adjusting to his horse’s strength he’s trying to get it to ride to his style.

Edit - and sometimes you have a bad horse and it won’t perform well anyways, but make no mistakes the leafs are a good horse with their talent. f*** Babcock.

Reactions: ThewThew

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'm watched the Minny broadcast. An observation they've made: that Babs is trying hard this season to coach the Leafs, especially the young Leafs, to be two way players. That it's difficult to get the offensively gifted youngsters to commit to being as hard on the puck in the D zone as they have tended to be (especially last year) in the O zone. That it's not an easy transition, most of them having been O zone stars in their formative years and they're accustomed to focusing on scoring, not defending. They've been generally positive in their praise of Bab's intent, and while noticing some of the breakdowns, they also compared the Leafs to the Oilers and have suggested that the Leafs are doing a much better job of learning how to play a complete game than is Edmonton.

The best defense is a good offense. A good offense is having possession of the puck. Dump and chase is purposefully giving up possession to try and get it back

Reactions: Crispy Crust

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Watching the Leafs is like watching paint dry the last few weeks. Horrible hockey to watch.

Nylander and Marner have been huge disappointments this year.

Reactions: ThewThew

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The offense has really dried up, in a bid to solve our defensive deficiencies we've completely neutered any offensive flair we may have had

I think Babcock needs to loosen up the reigns a bit and let our creative guys have a bit more rope to try things
the scariest thing is to look at our advanced stats in close games. we're 2nd last in the league in unblocked shot attempts in close games for instance. For a team with our talent, there's literally no excuse for that. The only worse team is Carlyle's Ducks

Reactions: 6ix

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'm quite happy about the result.

The result verifies what I saw leading up to these 2 loses.

Of course I'd prefer a win, but that would indicate what I saw progressing was in error, but the results verifies what I've been seeing.

Unfortunately, this looks like a team that just isn't very good right now, and suggests more mirage than substance without 34 in the lineup.

I have a lot of qualms but my major one is seeing Komarov, Polak, Moore (who never, ever won the #4C role definitively over Fehr- in fact, quite the opposite based on what I saw), Hyman (on the 1st line), Martin (poor hockey player but this is one I can at least live with) getting major minutes every night when I feel we have better guys internally. Icing the best lineup, or at least trying to every night will win my sympathy points.

There's little leash for guys like Marner, Nylander (and sometimes, deservedly so)- so why not treat everyone else fairly as well?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Its amazing watching this team from the first two periods and the third. They activated the defense and started skating. It's still laughable that Hyman is on the first line and getting the 2nd most minutes among forwards. The guy could kill a puppy and still get minutes. Marner was also awful tonight. I think its time to put him in the press box and bring in Kapanen. Love Marner but he looks like he's still playing junior hockey.

Hyman had the 6'th ATOI among the forwads 5-vs-5, sorry to mess with your narrative :)

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Who thinks Babcock listens to Dubas' advice?
Too much ego to listen to a punk kid, so I'd say no chance.

Have you seen him dismiss the media when lineup changes are suggested to him? I bet Dubas making a suggestion would be given just a tad more thought than when the media scrum suggested playing Marleau with Matthews and Nylander

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I'm watched the Minny broadcast. An observation they've made: that Babs is trying hard this season to coach the Leafs, especially the young Leafs, to be two way players. That it's difficult to get the offensively gifted youngsters to commit to being as hard on the puck in the D zone as they have tended to be (especially last year) in the O zone. That it's not an easy transition, most of them having been O zone stars in their formative years and they're accustomed to focusing on scoring, not defending. They've been generally positive in their praise of Bab's intent, and while noticing some of the breakdowns, they also compared the Leafs to the Oilers and have suggested that the Leafs are doing a much better job of learning how to play a complete game than is Edmonton.
Four out of top 6 Leafs forwards cannot play Minny's style. That is the wrong style.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I suppose it's Babcock's fault as well that the players kept missing the net with their shots?

They aren't playing well and he's going to have to take some of the blame

We're so defense first minded the offensive confidence is just draining out of the guys

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I thought that Marner was crap -way too lackadaisical with his passes and the second goal was on him skating by his man twice to leave him wide open.We need speed and until we have some role reversals and player changes we will look slow.Komorov needs to be placed on the fourth line and Kapanen put in his place.Hyman, well he should be on the third or fourth - basic plug. Moore needs to be benched he is useless.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Too much ego to listen to a punk kid, so I'd say no chance.

Have you seen him dismiss the media when lineup changes are suggested to him? I bet Dubas making a suggestion would be given just a tad more thought than when the media scrum suggested playing Marleau with Matthews and Nylander

Why would he give any shred of seriousness to the Toronto media when it comes to line up suggestions?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Ugly game to watch, no offense, no plays being made, 0-4 on a PP that looked barely alive out there.. Play like this tomorrow against Detriot and we will probably end up losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad