Pre-Game Talk: Leafs/Sens - Game Cancelled in Light of Ottawa Tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
You and the others posting similar comments need to relax and gain some perspective. Don't get so caught up in the media circus. Yes, it's a tragic situation but you have no right pretending somebody can't be annoyed or inconvenienced, people are capable of experiencing more than one feeling at a time.

Thank you for clarifying! Clearly I was one that needed perspective.

All I said was it was a "First World Problem" an attack on our soil costs us a hockey game. People live in other areas of the world fearing blue skies because at any moment a drone could drop a missile on their village. This is not a knock on the guy but an observation of the way of the world

I will retain my own perspective!

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Are you guys seriously attacking Matt? For god sakes.

He obviously feels bad about the shooting and everything that happened and understand why it was cancelled, but if someone is broke and spent a bunch of money to go for nothing they aren't allowed to be upset? Of course he is. I'd be pissed too that I blew 500+ bucks for nothing.

Stop acting like you have to be completely torn up by this. It's a tragedy, but you can still be upset that something you were looking forward too and spent your limited resources on is for nothing.

And be thankful that is all you have to be upset about!

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Then you shouldn't be complaining. Your hotel and ticket will be covered, the gas and time can now be more spent on your brother.

He is in the middle of midterms, the only time he has free is tonight for the few hours during the game but I guess we can go out for dinner or something.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
No, not really!

The only thing you will be out is the time and gas money. No hotel will not refund the money or cancel the booking. Your ticket to the game will be good when the game is rescheduled.

He has the right to be upset because he just wasted his money for nothing. Not every here can afford hotel and ticket prices on a daily basis.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Man the overreactions in this thread are almost as bad as CBC and CNN. Mass ignorance and hysteria all around.

- Identity of shooters unknown
- Motives of shooters unknown
- Details of manhunt unknown
- A total of one fatality (minus the piece of **** shooter who doesn't count)

And yet I've read comments blaming this on religion, freaking out at a guy who lost hundreds of dollars and has the right to be pissed, and had to hear the media literally say "this is Canada's 9/11" or that this is comparable to the October crisis of 1970. Give me a ****ing break, this is tragic and all but everyone needs to take a deep breath and stop overreacting.

Murphy Blue

Live blue
Nov 12, 2008
Newfoundland
Well can't say I'm not disappointed that there will be no game tonight.

But the right call was made here, no one would be comfortable at the game tonight.

Best wishes to all those in Ottawa today

Also to the student who spent the money to drive to Ottawa and see the game: I feel for you man, that sucks the big one.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
And be thankful that is all you have to be upset about!

Of course. Obviously he should first be thankful him and his family are safe, and he has already stated he feels bad for the victims. However after all that it doesn't make him a bad person to have spent the time and money for nothing.

However some people on here are acting like if he isn't crying hysterically and praising the lord he is alive then he is a bad person.

There is a middle ground to not caring and being devastated.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
He is in the middle of midterms, the only time he has free is tonight for the few hours during the game but I guess we can go out for dinner or something.

Didn't really mean to attack, just pointing out that you are not really out that money as both the ticket (definite) and hotel room (very likely) will be honoured.

Yes it sucks to have spent the money and have something cancelled on you like this, but at the same time the right call as made in postponing the game.

As far as not being able to make it due to school, what different right now that has made it so you could attend the game tonight? What would stop you from going to game if it was rescheduled for next Wednesday?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I Hope everyone is OK. It's an awful situation and I guess we're lucky more people weren't injured. I was looking forward to Kadri and Reimer dominating as always but obviously some things take precedence over hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
If anyone is planning on using TTC or GOtransit today, be prepared for slow times. Security measures downtown have been ramped up. Take your time and go early.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
He does have a point. It's not like you either have to be fully focused on the gravity of the tragic events today with sympathy or just completely care about yourself only. There is some middle ground. Maybe Matt didn't deliver or word his message in the correct manner, I agree with that sentiment, but that doesn't excuse you guys from just jumping all over him. He's evidently just as upset and distressed at these events that have transpired today as you, me, and everyone else posting here are, just he also in addition, is upset because of the circumstances regarding his own financial situation and inconvenience. No need to be tunnel visioned and be on either one extreme or another as to where your mind is, you can have multiple perspectives.

PS. This isn't directed at you specifically or solely to you, just to everyone ripping him apart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Official release from the team

B0kckPjIUAAUTF0.jpg

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Definitely the right decision, how can one play a game tonight with more important things going on is beyond me.

But make no mistake, Canada will not be intimidated. Never.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
It is the illusion of our safety that has been crushed today. Many people go on their daily lives thinking it only happens in other parts of the world and not here in peaceful Canada because we are loved. Not only has an innocent person/people died today but so has a sense of security for many people.

Again, we don't know that yet. And even if it is radical terrorism, a couple radicalized thugs with guns should not be enough to destroy people's sense of safety. This could be just as much of an isolated incident as the RCMP shooting spree from a couple months ago in Atlantic Canada. That turned out to be one lunatic (non-muslim I might add), and didn't turn into a trend of cops all over Canada being killed on shooting sprees.

Again, not to demean anything that has gone on today, but overreacting and giving credit to evil people who will only feel pride in taking such credit gets us no where. I'm of the opinion that you remain strong and not all of a sudden publicly cause hysteria and overreaction.

The vast majority of the world still loves Canada, let's not forget that.

unstuck

Dec 23, 2010
Toronto
We all know that "in lieu" means "instead of" right? Thread title should be something like "in view" or "in light" of, perhaps?

I know, I know. Not important.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
We know what you were trying to say, you're mad you spent money on a ticket, gas, and a hotel room that you can't get back. And won't get to see your brother who you haven't seen since August. Even though you can still go use that hotel room right now, see your brother, and use up that gas. Then sell the ticket when the game is rescheduled.

I understand and that's why I admitted to overreacting.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
The two teams probably play it out tomorrow already. 2.00 like it would have been tonight.
It suits both organizations since there's going to be a next game saturday for both of us.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Well this sure went off the rails quickly.

We all acknowledge that this was/is a terrible tragedy and send our condolences to the families/friends of those impacted.

With that being said, this is not a political forum and political/religious commentary is off-limits.

If you wish to discuss the incident please head over to our political forum where you can discuss it to your hearts content.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1757419

Please note that this forum is generally unmoderated and strictly on-topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad