Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Sabres - Time to goon it up.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
if the leafs lose this game be concerned

Win or lose, we should be concerned with our Leafs this season. They have not played a full 60 minute game yet.

Our record can be attributed to good goaltending and timely scoring.

Competent, consistent defense or puck possession, apparently, are NOT our forte or strength.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
-most minors taken in the league...check.. undisciplined group
-most shots against and allowed in the league...check
-perhaps fewest shots attempted in the league.
-coach unwilling to change things...check
- lousy PK...check

I don't see how things getting can get better until large systematic changes are made to our system. We can't win playing how we have. I saw this tweet from Ferraro and it was the biggest thing that annoys me with this group. The D zone system they have is stupid, and uneffective.

Can't cure stupid. Either fire the stupid coach or get rid of the stupid players.

We can't have both.

The PK isn't lousy though...our PK is still damn good, these 5 games are just a blip because we have taken far too many penalties. I don't have a problem with the PK unit, they will figure it out.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
Can't cure stupid. Either fire the stupid coach or get rid of the stupid players.

We can't have both.

The PK isn't lousy though...our PK is still damn good, these 5 games are just a blip because we have taken far too many penalties. I don't have a problem with the PK unit, they will figure it out.

the difference between this year's PK and last year's is that we're allowing way too many shots. And the only thing that kept the PK% that high in the beginning was the insane goaltending we've had, and now our goalies aren't making as many saves as they did at the start.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
We need to learn that with our Leafs no game is an easy win. They have played down to lesser teams and have lost games more often than not.

The other 29 NHL teams seem to get up to play our Leafs and beat them while playing way over their heads.
no, the Leafs need to learn that

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We need to learn that with our Leafs no game is an easy win. They have played down to lesser teams and have lost games more often than not.

The other 29 NHL teams seem to get up to play our Leafs and beat them while playing way over their heads.

Why do we need to learn that? What will change once we have?

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I wish there was a Proline or Vegas thing you can bet on for who is going to have more shots

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We better. If not, I think I might stay away from this board for a few days. Things might get nuclear here.

I may join you. All this doom and gloom is seriously sad. I mean - I know that we're not playing well and there really needs to be changes done - but I'd rather Nonis wait for the right trade that benefits this team long term, rather than doing a gut-check move to appease people.

I also - firmly believe - that it needs to be taken into consideration that this team is still in essence in the second stage of rebuilding (that playoff bubble - can be really good - but can also fall flat) stage. though we're not the 2nd youngest team in the league anymore (14th) - I do feel that aspects from the Boston game is still hanging around the team (in a negative way. I had hoped it would be the opposite, but clearly not).

At most times - the team is playing not to lose. (why people feel this is Carlyle's style, when every night he sounds frustrated that the team is hanging back is beyond me). and when you have games like what happened in Pittsburgh when you're up, and everything is looking great and all of a sudden all your momentum is being sucked away by some bad penalties (on your end), and some horrendous calls (on the refs end) - I could see how the team can seize up. (I always knew my major in sports sociology would FINALLY kick in :D )

but I truly believe to the very fiber of my core - in this team. So yes - I believe tomorrow (and Saturday) are very winnable, and I think though it might be tough/ugly - we'll be back on the right track.

3 game losing streak is like the apocalypse here.

lol i know. it's so sad.
I would rather take a slump now - (and hopefully continue to pick up points) than slump in March/April.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
If we were to go 0-2 this weekend, then we would need a trade.

I have a taste of the playoffs in me, I NEED the playoffs now.

Trade for who?

Just a trade to say, let's shake this up, HF needs something to talk about.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
3 game losing streak is like the apocalypse here.

lol i know. it's so sad.
I would rather take a slump now - (and hopefully continue to pick up points) than slump in March/April.

Nah, that's too generous. A loss is like an apocalypse here, two losses is like an ultra apocalypse where we find Jimmy Hoffa, and three losses is a super uber ultra mega apocalypse, where a girl gives me her phone num-- oh crap, that actually happened. Well in that case, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!! MAN THE TORPEDOS, ARM THE LIFEBOATS, BURN EVERYTHING!!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!! :scared:

:sarcasm:

In all seriousness, Miller does own us in net big time.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
douglas murray landed two hard shots to scotts face before scott opened him up.

if scott takes two punches like that from orr or mclaren he is out.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I may join you. All this doom and gloom is seriously sad. I mean - I know that we're not playing well and there really needs to be changes done - but I'd rather Nonis wait for the right trade that benefits this team long term, rather than doing a gut-check move to appease people.

I also - firmly believe - that it needs to be taken into consideration that this team is still in essence in the second stage of rebuilding (that playoff bubble - can be really good - but can also fall flat) stage. though we're not the 2nd youngest team in the league anymore (14th) - I do feel that aspects from the Boston game is still hanging around the team (in a negative way. I had hoped it would be the opposite, but clearly not).

At most times - the team is playing not to lose. (why people feel this is Carlyle's style, when every night he sounds frustrated that the team is hanging back is beyond me). and when you have games like what happened in Pittsburgh when you're up, and everything is looking great and all of a sudden all your momentum is being sucked away by some bad penalties (on your end), and some horrendous calls (on the refs end) - I could see how the team can seize up. (I always knew my major in sports sociology would FINALLY kick in :D )

but I truly believe to the very fiber of my core - in this team. So yes - I believe tomorrow (and Saturday) are very winnable, and I think though it might be tough/ugly - we'll be back on the right track.

lol i know. it's so sad.
They might be winnable games, but doesn't mean they'll win the way they are playing right now. I don't think they are playing to lose, I just don't think they are playing at all. A lot of times lately they just don't seem to give a damn out there and just let whatever happens happens. Teams like Columbus who actually want to work out there just run over them.

I don't see a problem with doom and gloom when things are....gloomy :laugh:. This team hasn't yet earned the kind of faith that some want to give them. They are a year out from constantly missing the playoffs. Until their playoff streak comes close to half of their streak of missing out, being worried and upset when the team is playing horribly is valid and acceptable in my view. Panic moves aren't going to help, but hoping for well timed and necessary moves is fine.

As to this game, it's against the Sabres in Buffalo...the odds were stacked against them when they were playing well. Crossing fingers for a miracle going into this one.

Mr Scarface*

They have only one win since Nolan took over. The coaching change had no impact whatsoever.
Even though Ted looks the part and bees hot they don't have it. Buffalo just doesn't have it. They are a weak team. But in the NHL any team can win at any time if the motivation/energy/wanting to win level is not at its fullest. Interesting game for certainly.

You already know we are the hardest out there. Carlyle might lose a tire and one of his temples if Ted Nolan gets the best of him in this one.... I want to see Carlyle's temples bubbling up big time. Maple Leafs should hide seek and destroy here. Fight some hard.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Trade for who?

Just a trade to say, let's shake this up, HF needs something to talk about.

No idea, I leave that to Nonis. But it's clear we would need a shake up of some sort

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Leafs need to dominate this game from start to finish. If they can't do this after the last two games vs the weakest team in the league we are in for a bad season. It's not about getting two points at this stage it's about building a group of players confident in their system so there is something to build on through the year.

If I'm Carlyle I put out the most physical line of Clarkson-Mcclement-Orr, put those guys out there and let them go after Buffalo with some hard hits or fights. Bottom line right off the draw we need to make a statement were for real and ain't gonna take any sh-t from nobody, trust me put that line out there and it'll fire up the troops.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
:laugh:

Also try to dish the puck a bit more, you don't have to take every shot.

I called out Kadri for being a little rat against Minny but the Pens goalie was out of his crease playing the puck he deserved to be run over and why that was a penalty is beyond me.

Anywho, Kadri you better run Miller when hes out of his crease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad