Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Woll for 3 years

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hopefully his positioning and angle play will improve with more games played .. what makes him special is his natural athletic ability and compete level .. very smart investment which will pay off for team .. much easier to teach a guy angles and positioning .. much much harder to teach a guy how to stop every 1 on 1 he faces .. just ask Mitch he can't beat him

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nice, now get something with Petruzzelli done.

No need right now. Like with Douglas, let them play out the second year of their AHL deals a bit and we can reevaluate around this time next year if they still look good.

That is more or less what happened with Marchment.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Woll surprised me with his NHL performances and the team seemed to really rally around him.
HOWEVER
With me not being anything close to a goalie expert I had/have Woll behind Keith Petruzzelli, Ian Scott and Källgren on my radar for a future NHL tender.

Lets hope that I am wrong.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Woll surprised me with his NHL performances and the team seemed to really rally around him.
HOWEVER
With me not being anything close to a goalie expert I had/have Woll behind Keith Petruzzelli, Ian Scott and Källgren on my radar for a future NHL tender.

Lets hope that I am wrong.
All of those guys are more positional and angles tenders .. Woll has something special he has stopped Matty and McJesus straight up with pure athletics and compete on 1on1s many times in their pasts .. does not mean he will make it but one of those kids who you throw equipment on him and throw him to wolves and he makes 60 saves and comes up with a 1-0 win and he does not look like your typical tender at all.. it was innate to him .. kinda like da guy with a live arm who can throw 100mph .. does not mean he can pitch in majors but he will get his chance because of that innate skill

Captain34

Sep 18, 2019
I feel for the guy. He appears to be hurt more often than not. At what point does the organization cut ties with him? Even if he turns into a back up, he is just super undependable.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
These pre-camp injuries are starting to add up. I wonder if he or the team has been putting off a surgery for this problem. Or has he already had surgery and is in recovery?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
People will find a way to dislike it. Just wait.
What is not to like Dubas is turning back to a Lou Lam draft pick to save him in the future potentially,. :wg:

When Woll gets healthy he might even play a part in this seasons outcome.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
These pre-camp injuries are starting to add up. I wonder if he or the team has been putting off a surgery for this problem. Or has he already had surgery and is in recovery?
He had the surgery once last season ended and is recovering on time and fairly well apparently.

Reactions: LeafSteel

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

This one wasn't a surprise. It was known in the Spring that he'd miss some time, but not a significant amount of time.

In the meantime, it will be Kallgren and Petruzzelli (likely; but I guess it could also be McKay if he really impresses) splitting the Marlies net and then all three will likely share reps since there will almost certainly be enough injuries for all three to play regularly in the AHL next year.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
This one wasn't a surprise. It was known in the Spring that he'd miss some time, but not a significant amount of time.

In the meantime, it will be Kallgren and Petruzzelli (likely; but I guess it could also be McKay if he really impresses) splitting the Marlies net and then all three will likely share reps since there will almost certainly be enough injuries for all three to play regularly in the AHL next year.
Who backs up Samsonov when Murray goes down? Not a fan of Kallgren. The Leafs need another goalie under contract it seems. Not sure who that'll be. Might be an opportunity after the waiver flood at the break of camps to pick up an experienced pro who has passed through waivers.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Who backs up Samsonov when Murray goes down? Not a fan of Kallgren. The Leafs need another goalie under contract it seems. Not sure who that'll be. Might be an opportunity after the waiver flood at the break of camps to pick up an experienced pro who has passed through waivers.

Kallgren is about the only current option, NHL signed goalie. Petruzzelli is on an AHL contract only for now, so unless he signs a NHL contract he isn't an option. Dryden McKay is also on an AHL only contract. We also have Dylan Ferguson at the camp, who is young, and zero NHL games.

Garet Sparks is still a UFA!!!

WE worry about who backs up, if Murray goes down. Woll might just be back by then, so we wait and see.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Kallgren is about the only current option, NHL signed goalie. Petruzzelli is on an AHL contract only for now, so unless he signs a NHL contract he isn't an option. Dryden McKay is also on an AHL only contract. We also have Dylan Ferguson at the camp, who is young, and zero NHL games.

WE worry about who backs up, if Murray goes down. Woll might just be back by then, so we wait and see.
Dylan Ferguson has loads of NHL experience...a sliver of a game for Vegas.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

If Murray or Samsonov go down, we will use Kallgren or Woll. Both are better than the vast majority of #3's who would clear waivers.

So we don't need another goalie.

It will likely be Kallgren or Woll, which are better options than most teams have as #3's.

Reactions: Menzinger

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Murray played only 20 games last year and missed 38 games due to injury and illness on 6 different occasions.

Leafs will need a contingency plan when ones incorporates a players injury history.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Murray played only 20 games last year and missed 38 games due to injury and illness on 6 different occasions.

Leafs will need a contingency plan when ones incorporates a players injury history.

Surely you aren't suggesting that the Leafs haven't thought of this yet are you?

• Haha
Reactions: kb

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
If Murray or Samsonov go down, we will use Kallgren or Woll. Both are better than the vast majority of #3's who would clear waivers.

So we don't need another goalie.

It will likely be Kallgren or Woll, which are better options than most teams have as #3's.
Woll is still injured. And being that he hasn't played since mid January that should be a big red flag that no one can count on him in the 2022-23. Kallgren doesn't seem to be NHL calibre unfortunately so yes the Leafs definitely need another goalie, probably two. They carried 6 goalie contracts last season (7 after the trade deadline), no reason to believe they'll run with 4 goalies under contract this season (Hildeby isn't in NA). Maybe Dubas can snap up a goalie either off the waiver wire or a waived goalie through trade to shore things up.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Woll is still injured. And being that he hasn't played since mid January that should be a big red flag that no one can count on him in the 2022-23.
This is false. Woll last played in mid March, he injured the shoulder on March 17th. He isn't still injured, he is recovering from surgery to fix that injury. It isn't the type of surgery, or injury that should see him out the whole year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad