Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Woll for 3 years

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Should stand to receive more opportunities next season in anticipation of hopefully claiming the backup role once the contract transfers to a one-way deal for the following two seasons. Can't rule out that it (full time backup role) might not happen until the final season of the contract though.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Seems to be happening a lot with goalies in that age range these days, but I think this effectively confirms they hope that he can become our backup after next year.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Perfect. He's had a bit of a rollercoaster in his development but he's got a lot of interesting potential. Goaltenders being voodoo and with a wild development curve makes this very interesting.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Should stand to receive more opportunities next season in anticipation of hopefully claiming the backup role once the contract transfers to a one-way deal for the following two seasons.

Seems like Woll has already stolen Hutch's job as the #3 (when Woll is healthy anyways) and the Marlies are going to have a solid stable of goalies to work with next year.

We can finally move on from Hutchinson for good and look towards goalies with legitimate upside and promise for the first time since Sparks.

Reactions: vpasla1 and Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Seems like Woll has already stolen Hutch's job as the #3 (when Woll is healthy anyways) and the Marlies are going to have a solid stable of goalies to work with next year.

We can finally move on from Hutchinson for good and look towards goalies with legitimate upside and promise for the first time since Sparks.

I'd say Woll is definitely the #3 moving forward. He will of course need to play in a lot more than four games though in order to be considered as anything above that.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I’m shocked the first year is a 2 way unless it’s a contractual stipulation due to age/gp I happily would’ve given him a 1 way all three years to get this locked in at league min.
Good work locking in a prospective back up with upside for that. Solid 3G as is imo

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Joseph Woll signs three-year extension with Leafs, has 'future as an NHL goaltender' | Toronto Sun

The 23-year-old netminder signed a three-year contract extension on Friday, one that is a two-way deal in the first year (2022-23) and a one-way pact in the following two seasons.

The average annual value of the contract is $766,666 US. Woll, a third-round pick by the Leafs in 2016, should have a strong opportunity to move up the organizational depth chart and land a greater role with the Leafs.

In four games with the Leafs when the club had injury trouble, Woll was 3-1-0 and recorded a .911 save percentage, as well as his first NHL shutout. With the Toronto Marlies, Woll is 5-2-0 with a similar .911 save percentage.

“I think it’s great for him,” Leafs coach Sheldon Keefe said. “He impressed with his time here. He did a really good job in helping us win games and showed very well that he’s got a future as an NHL goaltender. He’s got to continue to work at it."

“Right now, he’s working hard to get healthy and get back playing (from a leg injury), but he gave us a taste of what he’s capable of and it gives us further reason to continue to invest in his development."

“He can focus on continuing to get better and work himself to being a full-time NHL goaltender.”

The signing is important in that it gives the Leafs a potentially solid piece with a goaltending picture that could be unsettled once the 2021-22 season ends.

No one can say now, with certainty, where Jack Campbell will play next season as he heads into unrestricted free agency this summer.

Already, there has been speculation that the Leafs could try to move Petr Mrazek and his $3.8-million US cap hit for the next two seasons in order to try to free up more money to sign Campbell.

Dealing with those issues will come soon enough. On Friday, the Leafs were happy for Woll and his new deal.

“Joe is great,” Morgan Rielly said. “He played good hockey for us when he was in the net. He has a great attitude and he works hard. You want guys like that around. There’s lots of work left to do, but I’m sure he knows that.”

Said Mitch Marner: “It’s well-deserved. We’re pretty lucky to have him for another three years.”

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Has shown some promise in his NHL debut, happy to see a 3 year deal at league min. I like the patient approach with him.

Successful goalies are often so slow to develop. Binnington was drafted in 2011 and became an overnight sensation in 2019. His current replacement was drafted in 2014, scheduled for NHL time in 2019 and now breaking through in 2022.

It's almost like goalies need 6 year ELC's to incubate, and that's exactly what Woll has now...

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
This is an interesting contract. I thought he was more on the bubble than he was. I figured they would give him a one year 2 way deal at the end of his current contract.

They have always liked him. They kept him with the team after he left college and they showed some faith in him calling him up after his rookie and sophmore years weren't too pretty. This just proves their faith in him yet again. It looks like they think at worst he'll be an important depth piece.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
This is an interesting contract. I thought he was more on the bubble than he was. I figured they would give him a one year 2 way deal at the end of his current contract.

They have always liked him. They kept him with the team after he left college and they showed some faith in him calling him up after his rookie and sophmore years weren't too pretty. This just proves their faith in him yet again. It looks like they think at worst he'll be an important depth piece.

It would only be somewhat "expensive" for the team in real money if he's an AHLer for the second and third year of the contract; he still wouldn't count against the cap due to the small AAV. He'd be quite the bargain though if he were able to assume a full-time backup role. Not much risk here at all for the Leafs.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad