Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Kadri 6 year extension ($4.5 mill annually)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
But since you're using it as an argument to prove he took a discount you must belive what he's saying if he actually meant it that way

Imo he took the security of a long term deal as opposed to rolling the dice and going for a bigger deal down the road . Maybe in his mind that means he left money on the table because I don't believe he refused a higher offer from the leafs.

Yes he did take security, that is what he said.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Perceived. Fine. But he didn't hit the open market. All we know is what the Leafs were willing to pay.

Actually we don't know what the Leafs were willing to pay. It's impossible to know. Perhaps the Leafs and Kadri met in the middle before Leafs went to their absolute max.

Yes because in theory your house never hit the market so you don't know what it would have sold for.

House down the street is a prime example. They went to market at what we all thought was a fair price. It's been on for over a month and just took a $40k price drop. Buyers just weren't responding.

What you place on the listing =/= market value. Otherwise you're negotiating against yourself as buyers expect to negotiate down from your ask price.

It seems we keep going in circles with your position on RFA or UFA players unable to be perceived as taking discounts unless there is a firm offer with more money. This means that plenty of players like Hamhuis or Sedins, etc have never signed discount deals because they never went to UFA. I cannot imagine a credible argument for the above position so I am going to remove myself from this discussion.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Forecasting and projection are big part of decision making. Kadri's camp believed there would be more money going the UFA route. He valued being a Leaf more than that extra money. Leafs got a "fair" deal rather than the "overpayment" often caused by UFA status. Bottomline.

To deny that Kadri's camp would be considering the value of going to arbitration for a 1 year deal (where he would almost certainly win more than his current salary) and then go UFA (again making more than the new contract) weighing the financial implications of that 6 year plan against the results of his rfa negotiations with the leafs is being willfully ignorant.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Actually we don't know what the Leafs were willing to pay. It's impossible to know. Perhaps the Leafs and Kadri met in the middle before Leafs went to their absolute max.

Again. One team. Only team. If Kadri says he took a discount it's only applicable to the team that is bidding.

No offer sheets. No tampering. No else is allowed to bid. Open market is years and a fluctuating Canadian dollar away.

One team.

So if we can't know what the Leafs were prepared to pay, he can't know what the Leafs were willing to pay.

No one believes he crossed out $36m and out 27m and initialled it.

And therefore it's all smoke.

What you place on the listing =/= market value. Otherwise you're negotiating against yourself as buyers expect to negotiate down from your ask price.

It seems we keep going in circles with your position on RFA or UFA players unable to be perceived as taking discounts unless there is a firm offer with more money. This means that plenty of players like Hamhuis or Sedins, etc have never signed discount deals because they never went to UFA. I cannot imagine a credible argument for the above position so I am going to remove myself from this discussion.

Your house example is flawed though in that there are multiple buyers. RFAs without offer sheets don't have that.

If you had only only one qualified buyer, it might work.

You could want $10m for your house. The buyer says no, $500k.

You go back and forth. Maybe include the appliances. You wiggle the buyer up a little but ultimately they have leverage since they are the only qualified buyer out there.

You settle on a price and it looks a lot like the $500k since you need to sell and there are no other qualified buyers out there.

You can't then go to your friends and say, yeah I really liked that guy. I gave him a 95% discount off what my house was worth.

It's was never worth 10m. It's only worth what someone was willing to pay.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Seriously?

The Leafs were willing to pay more?

Have you ever been in a negotiation of any sort? What is settled on does not equal what one was willing to pay. If you are going to try to argue this, it is as obtuse as the other argument you are trying to put forward.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You're doing a fine job of trying to skirt around the fact you are being intentionally obtuse.

OK. John Tavares signs 8 years at $2M per. Thoughts?

geesuz eyeball

that fish hook ain't hurting you yet?

save the grey matter:laugh:

your being played by nonsense and i suspect the other has experience on it's side ;)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Again. One team. Only team. If Kadri says he took a discount it's only applicable to the team that is bidding.

No offer sheets. No tampering. No else is allowed to bid. Open market is years and a fluctuating Canadian dollar away.

One team.

So if we can't know what the Leafs were prepared to pay, he can't know what the Leafs were willing to pay.

No one believes he crossed out $36m and out 27m and initialled it.

And therefore it's all smoke.

Again completely untrue. He COULD in fact know what dollars they were offering to pay and what term. They COULD have offered several different scenarios.

Willing and offering are also two different things.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Here's a fact Kadri felt he could have been paid more.

The way the spin Dr's are interpreting that an opinion is a fact.

The world was flat, that was an opinion.

Ghosts are real, that is an opinion.

I guess if you believe something to be true its is a fact.

When did it become true that a fact = an opinion?

No spin doctors, it just doesn't line up with your agenda, what ever that is. We all get it you hate him.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
geesuz eyeball

that fish hook ain't hurting you yet?

save the grey matter:laugh:

your being played by nonsense and i suspect the other has experience on it's side ;)

I believe that much is obvious to most everyone. It's a completely silly position largely devoid of logic.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
As a Leaf fan, all that matters is that the Leafs got a great deal and Kadri said he's happy to be here. That's it.

Pretending you know what was on the table, players feelings, GMs feelings, market value and all that other bs is a an excercise in futility.

That bottom line is, the only facts you have are the actually deal. Everything else is made up crap to feed your own narrative. I get it, you people have feelings and will keeping talking **** until the time comes that you feel validated. Well guess what. I don't care about your feelings. Go take a self defence course, practice yoga or see a therapist to get your fragile little egos in check.

Kadri is here for a while and despite what many people thought, he did sign a long term extension and he isn't getting traded. Deal with it. If you can't, take the advice given above or do some deep breath excercises for some temporary relief.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Have you ever been in a negotiation of any sort? What is settled on does not equal what one was willing to pay. If you are going to try to argue this, it is as obtuse as the other argument you are trying to put forward.

What your missing is that the "proof" on offer here is that Kadri says he turned down more money. His words right? Hit previous and you'll see.

Which means that this upper limit of what the Leafs may have been willing to pay must be known... TO HIM.

Is this even remotely plausible?

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
As a Leaf fan, all that matters is that the Leafs got a great deal and Kadri said he's happy to be here. That's it.

Pretending you know what was on the table, players feelings, GMs feelings, market value and all that other bs is a an excercise in futility.

That bottom line is, the only facts you have are the actually deal. Everything else is made up crap to feed your own narrative. I get it, you people have feelings and will keeping talking **** until the time comes that you feel validated. Well guess what. I don't care about your feelings. Go take a self defence course, practice yoga or see a therapist to get your fragile little egos in check.

Kadri is here for a while and despite what many people thought, he did sign a long term extension and he isn't getting traded. Deal with it. If you can't, take the advice given above or do some deep breath excercises for some temporary relief.

:laugh::handclap::laugh::handclap::laugh:

:popcorn:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Well there is some good news in all of this totts

i had Rielly and kadri as a projected combined cap hit of 10/10.5m next year

a little bit more wiggle room to fit in stamkos:nod:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Amen.

Good deal for player and team.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
This is getting silly. Just watch the interview, if I knew how to load it here I would. All I thought when I saw the announcement of the contract was wow, are we ever going to have a awesome team in the near future. I sure as fuch didn't think the haters would turn it into this dog and pony show. Just march on over to the Eating Crow thread and admit you were wrong just as I would be expected to and leave it at that.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What your missing is that the "proof" on offer here is that Kadri says he turned down more money. His words right? Hit previous and you'll see.

What you're missing is that there is no need for "proof" of an offer. If Kadri thought he would make more money over the next 6 years than what is contained in this contract than that was an element of his decision to sign/not sign.

It is his belief that left money on the table to sign with the Leafs longterm. Whether or not he would have gotten that money is irrelevant to looking at his motivations. He want to be a Leaf, the Leafs wanted him to be a Leaf. End of story

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
A whiles back Daisey I told you about smart money is to pay for potential and that's what this is about... Same with Kadri who's being groomed to be our version of a Kessler type player. When you wait for them to establish themselves first that's how you end up with a Subban contract eating a significant amount of cap. It comes down to believing in a player and acting on it that's the first hurtle... Indecision cost go's up.

yup, that you did.

again, I don't have an issue with the deal. it's less than 5 which sits well with me, and while I don't know if I would have offered him 6 - like i wrote the 6 makes sense. the only issues i have are that both he + Morgan have limited no trades. but if that's the only thing i have to live with then that's okay with me.

in regards to your second comment - Jake got five years, so that's okay right? like not 6, but five is no slouch... or was it four?)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Kadri is being groomed to be the Leafs version of a Kessler type player that's why he was given a 6 year deal and considerd a huge part of the future.

A top 6 skilled guy who plays an aggressive type of game, competes and even dirty at times that get's sent out with his linemates to play against the oppositions top point producers and forces them to play at the area of ice that no star caliber player likes to play, in the defensive zone. Puck possession hockey 101 mixed in with offensive capabilities for production and a menace to play against the Leafs have just opened the door for the so called better players we're waiting for to supplement him on the depth chart in being in the position to not worry about these types of assignments and just concentrate on being the best they can be. He'll be on the PK next season Babcock already said as much.

Yep - he's going to be Babcock's go to guy to fill holes throughout the lineup - need a shutdown centre in the top line? Kadri is there - spread scoring down the line up? He's your man.

What separates good management from bad is the ability to identify core players and then do their best to lock them into a workable cap hit.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
What you're missing is that there is no need for "proof" of an offer. If Kadri thought he would make more money over the next 6 years than what is contained in this contract than that was an element of his decision to sign/not sign.

It is his belief that left money on the table to sign with the Leafs longterm. Whether or not he would have gotten that money is irrelevant to looking at his motivations. He want to be a Leaf, the Leafs wanted him to be a Leaf. End of story

I'm not singling you out or anything but just quoting you. I really don't understand this mindset. Why are people so concerned on whether or not he is leaving money on the table or not. Are they getting a percentage on his contract? I don't get it.

I'm assuming people who are worried about this are those who are trying to justify how they could be so wrong about him signing an extension/getting traded. I just can't see any other reason for it. Some people can't deal with being wrong, I guess. Need to salvage that fragile ego. Don't worry, there is always hope and I believe you are a great people!:)

I've heard that this excercises works:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad