Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Hyman to a 4 year @ $9 mil ($2.25 AAV) contract.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Hyman is not an AHLer.

Andrew Cogliano, plays with Kesler/Silf, prime PKer.
3 million/year, 16 goals, 19 assists

Hyman 2.25 million/year 10 goals, 18 assists.
There is absolutely no reason Hyman can't score 5-6 more goals if that's what you need to feel better + prime PKer.

My grandma could score 10 goals and 18 assists playing with Matthews and Nylander. And my grandma is 97 years old! Should the Leafs sign my grandma to a 4 year, $2.25 AAV contract?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hyman is not an AHLer.

Andrew Cogliano, plays with Kesler/Silf, prime PKer.
3 million/year, 16 goals, 19 assists

Hyman 2.25 million/year 10 goals, 18 assists.
There is absolutely no reason Hyman can't score 5-6 more goals if that's what you need to feel better + prime PKer.

He had the 3rd most high danger scoring opportunities in the league. I think there is a reason hyman can't score 5-6 more goals it's stonehanditis. He is what he is, and that's fine ive repeatedly said he has spot in my lineup anyday just no where near matthews

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
My grandma could score 10 goals and 18 assists playing with Matthews and Nylander. And my grandma is 97 years old! Should the Leafs sign my grandma to a 4 year, $2.25 AAV contract?

If she's a RHD yes.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He had the 3rd most high danger scoring opportunities in the league. I think there is a reason hyman can't score 5-6 more goals it's stonehanditis. He is what he is, and that's fine ive repeatedly said he has spot in my lineup anyday just no where near matthews

There's a difference between what you said and AHLer.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Kadri went from 17 goals and 6.5 SH% in 2015-16 to 32 goals and 13.6 SH% in 2016-17.

Did Kadri go from stonehanditis to nifty mittens from 1 year to the next?

Hyman had the Kadri 6.4 SH% in 2017 (his rookie NHL season), so is there also more potential to increase this SH% and score more goals?

People might not know but in 2015 Hyman was a finalist for the Hobey Baker ( NCAA Top Collegiate Player (Hobey Baker Award) Finalist) as one of the NCAA players scoring 22 goals and 54 points in 37 games. That put him #1 in goals and points in Big-10 2014-15 League Leaders.

As a tier II player playing in OJHL in 2011 he recorded 43 games 42 goals 60 points 102 points and named (CJHL Player of the Year) & ( RBC Canadian Junior Hockey League Player Of The Year 10/11).

So the potential for more offense is there, and Leafs management might be banking on it even by giving him a 4 year deal now as opposed to taking a wait and see approach and then having his stats and contract go up.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Again I think Hyman is a useful support piece, but at the same time I don't understand how anyone can claim he won't ever be traded or even that he shouldn't even be considered for one.

1) take a glance st what the Leafs roster was like in 2013 - teams can change their lineups pretty thoroughly in just 4 years time.

2) look at how many winger prospects the aleafs have in their system.

Hyman is far from an untouchable piece.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kadri went from 17 goals and 6.5 SH% in 2015-16 to 32 goals and 13.6 SH% in 2016-17.

Did Kadri go from stonehanditis to nifty mittens from 1 year to the next?

Hyman had the Kadri 6.4 SH% in 2017 (his rookie NHL season), so is there also more potential to increase this SH% and score more goals?

People might not know but in 2015 Hyman was a finalist for the Hobey Baker ( NCAA Top Collegiate Player (Hobey Baker Award) Finalist) as one of the NCAA players scoring 22 goals and 54 points in 37 games. That put him #1 in goals and points in Big-10 2014-15 League Leaders.

As a tier II player playing in OJHL in 2011 he recorded 43 games 42 goals 60 points 102 points and named (CJHL Player of the Year) & ( RBC Canadian Junior Hockey League Player Of The Year 10/11).

So the potential for more offense is there, and Leafs management might be banking on it even by giving him a 4 year deal now as opposed to taking a wait and see approach and then having his stats and contract go up.

Problem with the Kadri comparison is that he had previous NHL seasons where he was generating offense at a better rate than he did in 15/16.

While there is a chance Hyman might be able to improve his sh% and increase his even strength offense, I'm not necessarily going to be that happens. I think he's probably going to be a 25-30ish point guy for most of his career

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It will be interesting to see how he plays off of the first line
They paid him without even trying him anywhere else in the lineup

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Again I think Hyman is a usefulnsupport piece, but at the same time I don't understand hownanyone can claim he won't ever be traded or even that he shouldn't even be considered for one.

1) take a glance st what the Leafs roster was like in 2013 - teams can change their lineups pretty thoroughly in just 4 years time.

2) look at how many winger prospects the aleafs have in their system.

Hyman is far from an untouchable piece.

The problem you have with this theory is that because of size and style of play of Hyman many of Leafs little waterbug prospects Bracco, Johnson, Timashov etc and even why Leipsic was exposed in the expansion draft as Leafs prospect pool is littered with small skilled forwards types but are not in direct competition for Hyman's job.

Heck you could even take wingers Marner, Nylander, Brown and Kapanen off the roster and not expect any of the them to do what Hyman does without the puck, battle and win lose pucks via aggressive forecheck, play physical, or stand in the crease occupy the defense and screen the goal while creating havoc and taking physical abuse to do so. None of those players play Hyman's style.

At minimum you need to find similar style players Rychel, down the road Grundstrom or Korshkov if they develop and become NHLers in time. Even then nothing prevent Leafs from continue using Hyman in a defensive role/checker and top PK player and useful player on any successful team.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Problem with the Kadri comparison is that he had previous NHL seasons where he was generating offense at a better rate than he did in 15/16.

While there is a chance Hyman might be able to improve his sh% and increase his even strength offense, I'm not necessarily going to be that happens. I think he's probably going to be a 25-30ish point guy for most of his career

okay. but i think again something I feel every one forgets is that he IS a rookie.
so regardless that he's 25 or he's "supposed" to be in his prime (which bugs me because i figure. people develop differently. i'm not about to say he'll be a beast among men later but it's the abject dismal from a lot of people that is driving me nuts)

for all we know - he just had a bad year. even with playing with Nylander and Matthews.
Which - I think everyone can agree for the most part, that he should NOT have been playing with Matthews and Nylander but like does it matter? Matthews obviously didn't suffer offensively for it (he of 40 goals, and 69 points)) - or are we upset that he could have won the rocket or something if he had another capable winger?

I personally believe that Hyman was a player that ran right into the rookie wall last season - on top of playing higher than he should have. but I do think he gives our penalty killing an interesting dimension with his speed - and the capability of being a short-handed threat which is a good thing. I think a few things like his angles, his wrap-around stuff will die out once he settles into more of his role on the team.

he's making less than Leo is right now, and he'll probably settle into the 3rd line - and i'll say this - as i've said it all year - that's even suggesting that he (and Brown) will even BE on the team 2-3 years from now.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
It will be interesting to see how he plays off of the first line
They paid him without even trying him anywhere else in the lineup

That's the most bizarre thing about this. There are not many players in the league who could play with a talent like Matthews all year and not put up more points.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The problem you have with this theory is that because of size and style of play of Hyman many of Leafs little waterbug prospects Bracco, Johnson, Timashov etc and even why Leipsic was exposed in the expansion draft as Leafs prospect pool is littered with small skilled forwards types but are not in direct competition for Hyman's job.

At minimum you need to find similar style players Rychel, down the road Grundstrom or Korshkov if they develop and become NHLers in time. Even then nothing prevent Leafs from continue using Hyman in a defensive role/checker and top PK player and useful player on any successful team.

You realize Hyman is more or less the size of an average NHLer right? He's hardly a unique physical stature.

He's a useful player but his skill set is hardly unique. As Babcock gets access to younger, better and cheaper players ready for an NHL job we'll see how long he holds his job.

I mean with the signing of one of Babcock's favourite guys with Marleau, he may already find himself pushed down the lineup.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You realize Hyman is more or less the size of an average NHLer right? He's hardly a unique physical stature.

He's a useful player but his skill set is hardly unique. As Babcock gets access to younger, better and cheaper players ready for an NHL job we'll see how long he holds his job.

I mean with the signing of one of Babcock's favourite guys with Marleau, he may already find himself pushed down the lineup.

Babcock has access to younger, better and cheaper players now, as you could even take wingers Marner, Nylander, Brown and Kapanen off the roster and not expect any of the them to do what Hyman does without the puck, battle and win lose pucks via aggressive forecheck, play physical, or stand in the crease occupy the defense and screen the goal while creating havoc and taking physical abuse to do so. None of those players play Hyman's style.

The reason Hyman is seen as valuable to the Leafs is exactly for the reasons mentioned above and role players that a coach loves and needs and uses to effectively manage a game.

I don't think anyone has a problem with Hyman being pushed down the line-up and at his price point $2.25 mil playing on a 3rd checking line it would still be inline with NHL salary structures for 3rd line players.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Similar to Babs?

• Patric Hornqvist scored 11 even strength goals as Crosby/Sheary winger last season.
  • Chris Kunitz scored 9 goals as Malkin/Kessel winger last season.

These coaches should really start taking HFB advice on coaching :sarcasm:

First (primary) Assists, 5 on 5 2016-17 season

• 18~Tyler Bozak
  • 13~Mitch Marner
  • 12~Nazem Kadri
  • 12~Zach Hyman
  • 9 ~William Nylander
  • 9 ~JVR
  • 8 ~Auston Matthews
  • 7 ~Connor Brown
  • 5 ~Leo

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
i dont see anywhere i said AHLer? in fact i said he would 100% be in my lineup

Lost in translation.
I didn't mean "you" in that sense, I meant there is a difference between what you said (I'd take him on the team) and what the other poster said borderline AHLer.
He's not an AHLer IMO. He is a pro.
Sorry for the unclear response.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Lost in translation.
I didn't mean "you" in that sense, I meant there is a difference between what you said (I'd take him on the team) and what the other poster said borderline AHLer.
He's not an AHLer IMO. He is a pro.
Sorry for the unclear response.

ah, my bad. Agreed

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You guys forget that Matthews/Hyman line started the season as a sheltered #3 line and worked its way to the #1 line...

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Hyman might score more than Frattin. When Frattin fails to play well, do we always use the same excuse "he didnt get enough chances"
Hyman>Frattin

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Let's get her a try-out. Ah shoot we only have 1 contract left open...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad