Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Hyman to a 4 year @ $9 mil ($2.25 AAV) contract.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
okay. but i think again something I feel every one forgets is that he IS a rookie.
so regardless that he's 25 or he's "supposed" to be in his prime (which bugs me because i figure. people develop differently. i'm not about to say he'll be a beast among men later but it's the abject dismal from a lot of people that is driving me nuts)

for all we know - he just had a bad year. even with playing with Nylander and Matthews.
Which - I think everyone can agree for the most part, that he should NOT have been playing with Matthews and Nylander but like does it matter? Matthews obviously didn't suffer offensively for it (he of 40 goals, and 69 points)) - or are we upset that he could have won the rocket or something if he had another capable winger?

I personally believe that Hyman was a player that ran right into the rookie wall last season - on top of playing higher than he should have. but I do think he gives our penalty killing an interesting dimension with his speed - and the capability of being a short-handed threat which is a good thing. I think a few things like his angles, his wrap-around stuff will die out once he settles into more of his role on the team.

he's making less than Leo is right now, and he'll probably settle into the 3rd line - and i'll say this - as i've said it all year - that's even suggesting that he (and Brown) will even BE on the team 2-3 years from now.

Yeah he's a rookie, but I've never really bought claims that guys who enter the league later than average will have later primes. Perhaps he may improve (hope he does) but I'd feel less strongly about his chances vs the other rookies improving their offense likensay Brown. Either way we'all have a better idea of what he's capable of after a second full season.

And I do agree once the team gets more talent he'll moved down eh lineup into a role better suited for his skill set and at 2.25 it won't be a major hinderance for the team.

Funny enough my dislike of the contract isn't driven by a dislike of Hyman at all (happy he's on the team), I just don't think it's a good deal for the team.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Yeah he's a rookie, but I've never really bought claims that guys who enter the league later than average will have later primes. Perhaps he may improve (hope he does) but I'd feel less strongly about his chances vs the other rookies improving their offense likensay Brown. Either way we'all have a better idea of what he's capable of after a second full season.

And I do agree once the team gets more talent he'll moved down eh lineup into a role better suited for his skill set and at 2.25 it won't be a major hinderance for the team.

Funny enough my dislike of the contract isn't driven by a dislike of Hyman at all (happy he's on the team), I just don't think it's a good deal for the team.

Offensively he's probably closer to his prime with only some improvement but I think defensively he could definitely use the experience that comes with defending the best players in the league. He needs to learn how to cheat and get away with as much as he can. He already gets in the tough spots to frustrate the opponents but I think he can be smarter when it comes to finding and opening up space.

I can see Hyman being a great vet on this team in the future.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
That's not exactly a compelling argument seeing as Hyman only scored 5 points in the final 30 games of the season.

From what I remember, Mathews, Nylander line carried the team down the stretch, Nylander won rookie of the month for the 2nd time, I think? This was a very successful line, 3 rookies of the month awards and a rookie of the year award.

Here is something to argue about...2016-17 season

• Patric Hornqvist scored 11 even strength goals as Crosby/Sheary winger last season.
  • Chris Kunitz scored 9 goals as Malkin/Kessel winger last season.
  • Zach Hyman scored 10 goals as Matthews winger last season.

First (primary) Assists, 5 on 5 2016-17 season

• 12~Zach Hyman
  • 10~Patric Hornqvist
  • 7~Chris Kunitz

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
From what I remember, Mathews, Nylander line carried the team down the stretch, Nylander won rookie of the month for the 2nd time, I think? This was a very successful line, 3 rookies of the month awards and a rookie of the year award.

Here is something to argue about...2016-17 season

• Patric Hornqvist scored 11 even strength goals as Crosby/Sheary winger last season.
  • Chris Kunitz scored 9 goals as Malkin/Kessel winger last season.
  • Zach Hyman scored 10 goals as Matthews winger last season.

First (primary) Assists, 5 on 5 2016-17 season

• 12~Zach Hyman
  • 10~Patric Hornqvist
  • 7~Chris Kunitz

Like I keep saying, there's only one puck on the ice. Hyman's job is to get it to the skilled guys and he does a good job of that. Putting all of your scorers on one line only works in EA games.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Oh man, this poor guy is going to be the new Tyler Bozak. He's always going to be the reason some star doesn't perform as well, he's always going to be over paid, he's going to be included in every crap trade offer we make over the next 4 years, he's going to be responsible for all of our losses and none of our wins, he's going to be savaged in every half wit post. The sad thing to me is that this guy used to be the sort of guy who would be idolized around here, prior to the salary cap. Now we all think we're backseat capologists who can't justify the numbers, and it's lame. I like this guy, he's worth whatever he's paid and so is Matt Martin. Go be a fan of some other team if you want to see crusty little euro-wimps with good cap hits on the 4th line.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Oh man, this poor guy is going to be the new Tyler Bozak. He's always going to be the reason some star doesn't perform as well, he's always going to be over paid, he's going to be included in every crap trade offer we make over the next 4 years, he's going to be responsible for all of our losses and none of our wins, he's going to be savaged in every half wit post. The sad thing to me is that this guy used to be the sort of guy who would be idolized around here, prior to the salary cap. Now we all think we're backseat capologists who can't justify the numbers, and it's lame. I like this guy, he's worth whatever he's paid and so is Matt Martin. Go be a fan of some other team if you want to see crusty little euro-wimps with good cap hits on the 4th line.

I find the majority of the dislike are just by a few posters on this board.... Another board I read doesn't dislike him nearly as much, nor do my friends...

Hurin

Jun 29, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
I find the majority of the dislike are just by a few posters on this board.... Another board I read doesn't dislike him nearly as much, nor do my friends...

As has been said many, many, many times, people don't dislike Hyman as a player. What they dislike is that he is being used in a role 5 on 5 which, by almost every statistical measure available, he has not shown he is suited for. He should absolutely be in our lineup on the 3rd or 4th line and on the first pk unit. But where he should not be is riding shot-gun with Matthews and Nylander.

Hyman's stick is where offense goes to die and his oft-cited ability to get the puck to Nylander/Matthews is vastly overestimated. He rarely comes out of puck battles with the puck and when he does, he throws it away far more often than he does something useful with it. Hyman's speed generates turnovers, sure. But Kapanen is faster, just as physical, and has much, much better shooting and play-making ability.

Second issue: the contract. The issue some of us have is that they committed what seems like a bit too much money and term to a guy with only one up-and-down season at the NHL level, who doesn't play a premium position, and had zero leverage in negotiations, then threw in a limited NTC for good measure. I don't really think he is that overpaid, but the term and the NTC seem a bit much at this point given that Brown (a much better player with more upside) has yet to be signed and will now have reason to ask for more money by comparing himself to Hyman.

Short version? Criticism of Hyman's usage by the coach and/or his contract =/= dislike of the player, nor does it mean people don't want him on the team.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't like to comment but...

Grundstrom is going to bury this guy. A year too long, you will have to trade him one day, not with that term.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
As has been said many, many, many times, people don't dislike Hyman as a player. What they dislike is that he is being used in a role 5 on 5 which, by almost every statistical measure available, he has not shown he is suited for. He should absolutely be in our lineup on the 3rd or 4th line and on the first pk unit. But where he should not be is riding shot-gun with Matthews and Nylander.

Hyman's stick is where offense goes to die and his oft-cited ability to get the puck to Nylander/Matthews is vastly overestimated. He rarely comes out of puck battles with the puck and when he does, he throws it away far more often than he does something useful with it. Hyman's speed generates turnovers, sure. But Kapanen is faster, just as physical, and has much, much better shooting and play-making ability.

Second issue: the contract. The issue some of us have is that they committed what seems like a bit too much money and term to a guy with only one up-and-down season at the NHL level, who doesn't play a premium position, and had zero leverage in negotiations, then threw in a limited NTC for good measure. I don't really think he is that overpaid, but the term and the NTC seem a bit much at this point given that Brown (a much better player with more upside) has yet to be signed and will now have reason to ask for more money by comparing himself to Hyman.

Short version? Criticism of Hyman's usage by the coach and/or his contract =/= dislike of the player, nor does it mean people don't want him on the team.

Sure, there are people that say this, but there are certainly a few Hyman haters here... just look through the thread...

I'm not convinced Kapanen will fill Hyman's role better TBH... Remember when people we complaining that Soshnikov should be with Matthews? :laugh:...

Matthews line was fine for the most part last season... if it ain't broke, why fix it?

And whats wrong with the contract? He's being paid like a 3rd liner which he at the very least is... The length is great IMO, because this guy has a good chance of getting > 3mil on his next contract...

Brown's season is starting to get overrated, and I like him just about as much as anyone here... I mean, Brown only had 5 more EVEN STRENGTH points than Hyman and doesn't play as big of a 'boards game' as Hyman does. Sure, Brown is better... but not by much AND he has even less leverage than Hyman did as Brown isn't elligible for arbitration IIRC...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i didnt' say that though either. like. he'll be a serviceable NHL player like a good chunk of his ilk tends to be . I do think there'll be some sort of "prime" but that prime doesn't have to equal AMAZING just - really really good. vs. good.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

toronto — those with a pencil who chart the maple leafs’ top forward lines for this season likely flip to the eraser when they get to zach hyman.

Let-winger and new arrival patrick marleau is seen as the more preferable choice to flank auston matthews, hyman’s regular centre all of last year, the team’s top scorer and calder trophy winner, with william nylander remaining on the right side.

Hyman, 25, would likely keep tumbling down the depth chart past james van riemsdyk, who appears set to again play alongside centre tyler bozak and right winger mitch marner.

That would leave feisty two-way forward hyman to find a match with nazem kadri and connor brown — unless coach mike babcock has other plans for fourth-line left winger leo komarov.

But hyman, whose forechecking made him as valuable as a second locomotive on the matthews all-rookie train, is not fretting possible re-assignment. Average ice time with the main three lines last year did not fluctuate much around 16 to 18 minutes.

“wherever you play, there is enough ice time for everybody,†hyman insisted this week at the leafs’ summer workouts. “it’s good to have this problem, because it means you have a lot of good guys and a lot of depth.â€
“my role, that’s for the coaches to decide. They send you out there, but when they do, that’s what you can control, doing the right things, helping our team win.â€

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Sure, there are people that say this, but there are certainly a few Hyman haters here... just look through the thread...

I'm not convinced Kapanen will fill Hyman's role better TBH... Remember when people we complaining that Soshnikov should be with Matthews? :laugh:...

Matthews line was fine for the most part last season... if it ain't broke, why fix it?

And whats wrong with the contract? He's being paid like a 3rd liner which he at the very least is... The length is great IMO, because this guy has a good chance of getting > 3mil on his next contract...

Brown's season is starting to get overrated, and I like him just about as much as anyone here... I mean, Brown only had 5 more EVEN STRENGTH points than Hyman and doesn't play as big of a 'boards game' as Hyman does. Sure, Brown is better... but not by much AND he has even less leverage than Hyman did as Brown isn't elligible for arbitration IIRC...

And he did that mostly on the third line. Brown actually is much better. Hyman is more likely to skate harder and hit, but how many gifts did he get from Matthews, and failed to capitalize on?

I'm not against the contract. But if Brown is not re-signed due to cap limitations, I'm going to be very pissed.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Dont bet against this kid. He has character in spades.

No ones doubting his character. What most people are saying is that he has hands made of bricks and his career as Matthews' Caddy is done.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
And he did that mostly on the third line. Brown actually is much better. Hyman is more likely to skate harder and hit, but how many gifts did he get from Matthews, and failed to capitalize on?

I'm not against the contract. But if Brown is not re-signed due to cap limitations, I'm going to be very pissed.

He will be resigned. Otherwise Lou will pull off a contract dump situation to some dummy team like he did with the Isles.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

The team winning is what matters.
People get to wrapped up in Marner must play with Matthews and Nylander + Kapanen etc.
Who cares. We have a 23 man roster. It's up to them and Babcock in an 82 game season to get us to the playoffs. Then beyond.
I don't care if it's Moore-Matthews-Brown if we are a winning team.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I like him and is pleased we signed him long term. Money is ok, but would of course have preferred a little less. But even so, not a bad contract and it will not give us cap problems.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I like him and is pleased we signed him long term. Money is ok, but would of course have preferred a little less. But even so, not a bad contract and it will not give us cap problems.

All I care about is that he learns to finish a little better. He needs to put up about 30-35pts to be a cost effective contract. Defensively he is fine but some situations he gets exposed.

Last thing I want is the Leafs to be known as the place where grinders and grits go to make it rich.

Martin, Hyman, Komarov

That's more than enough stone hands for 8-9m

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If he could have some finishing ability and decent hands he would be great. Unfortunately his hands are made of stone

He was just a rookie last year.. I think we will see a improvement in finishing ability this season like he did in NCAA improve with time to be a Hobey Baker finalist.

However that said I expect he will eventually move down the depth chart/lines and with less quality of linemates it will also impact his output.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad