Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Hyman to a 4 year @ $9 mil ($2.25 AAV) contract.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
1. Hyman isn't a slug
2. Babcock wasn't negotiating Hyman's contract for him
3. Hyman will at worst, be on our third line

1- he's a nothing borderline NHLer

2- Babcock did better than negotiate his sons contract for him , he was on the other side making sure he got more $ and term than he deserved . He even got him a ntc , as if that was even needed considering no one's going to touch him with that contract .

3- where Hymans dad chooses to play him has little bearing on where he deserves to be played

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

2- Babcock did better than negotiate his sons contract for him , he was on the other side making sure he got more $ and term than he deserved . He even got him a ntc , as if that was even needed considering no one's going to touch him with that contract .

3- where Hymans dad chooses to play him has little bearing on where he deserves to be played

You're ridiculous :laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
- On a good team Hyman would be a 3rd liner on talent and abilities.

- On the Leafs his value and contribution to the team is much higher and he plays higher up the line-up with more TOI/g due to team composition of current player personnel.

- On salary and contract Hyman at $2.25 mil is paid like a bottom 6 forward.

So his contract is seen as good value to the Leafs management because as they get better players that can replace his role in the top 6, and he is bumped down the depth chart into his more ideal role, his contract price point will still suit his spot on the depth chart appropriately.. Nobody would complain of a 3rd liner making $2.25 mil in today's NHL, and as long as he remains with Matthews on a top line his contract is a discount.

This is a Win -- Win situation for the Leafs

Don't hate the playa', hate the game, as its not Hyman's fault they don't have anybody that can replace him at present and fill his shoes effectively.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

So your issue is with Babcock not Hymen then?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
NMC's and NTC's are a lot more common today than they used to be, so I think you can ease up a little bit on them. Every star or core player has them now (Hyman's not a star of course but he's arguably a core player). Also, I'm certain if the Leafs were to ever ask Hyman to waive so we could move him to a team out of his 10-team list, he would oblige. He seems like a good guy.

oh i know. it's just like I said - I need to be consistent. ;) I can't say for one person, ugh i hate it. then in the other thread be like "Oh. that's fine." and really - for the most part, I know and agree with what you are saying. more often than not, it's just a way to exercise a touch of control, and I don't think it ever really becomes an issue , unless it IS an issue (and as you said - Hyman doesn't seem like the type of person to throw up the Clause and go nauhnaww." IF it gets there, and I doubt it would).

Just don't like 'em :)

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

that joke - is seriously tired.

Hyman provides something to the team that not a lot of players provide. and I think - quite frankly, a lot of people tend to forget that he was too, in fact a rookie. And just because he was an older one - doesn't mean that he's going to be worse, (or better), but he did struggle near the end of the year. But that doesn't equate that he is a nothing borderline NHL player.

honestly.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
- On a good team Hyman would be a 3rd liner on talent and abilities.

- On the Leafs his value and contribution to the team is much higher and he plays higher up the line-up with more TOI/g due to team composition of current player personnel.

- On salary and contract Hyman at $2.25 mil is paid like a bottom 6 forward.

So his contract is seen as good value to the Leafs management because as they get better players that can replace his role in the top 6, and he is bumped down the depth chart into his more ideal role, his contract price point will still suit his spot on the depth chart appropriately.. Nobody would complain of a 3rd liner making $2.25 mil in today's NHL, and as long as he remains with Matthews on a top line his contract is a discount.

This is a Win -- Win situation for the Leafs

Don't hate the playa', hate the game, as its not Hyman's fault they don't have anybody that can replace him at present and fill his shoes effectively.

We are a good team.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think the Hyman signing spells bad news for Komarov's future as a Leaf.

I like Leo, but there's young guys knocking at the door. Someone has to go.
I like the sandpaper Leo brings, but can he be replaced with Hyman, or someone else younger and cheaper? I think so

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We are a good team.

Right now across Leaf nation there are a million Leaf fans stunned and perplexed by that post....

We are a good team?:confused:

We are a good team.

HOLY CRAP WE ARE A GOOD TEAM!!!! :yo:

TBH until you posted that I didn't think of us in that fashion, you just changed my perspective on this team.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I like the sandpaper Leo brings, but can he be replaced with Hyman, or someone else younger and cheaper? I think so

Yeah, it's possible at some point we will have career Leafs, but I don't think Uncle Leo is going to be one of them. He's just too easily replaceable.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think the Hyman signing spells bad news for Komarov's future as a Leaf.

Leafs need more players like Hyman and Komarov and not less.

Both Hyman and Komarov get more TOI/g then most Leafs forwards. Only Matthews gets more than Leo and both of them and Marner get more than Hyman.

Babcock loves a player on each line that does the heavy lifting for the line, hits, forechecks, crashes the crease and screens the goalie types.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Right now across Leaf nation there are a million Leaf fans stunned and perplexed by that post....

We are a good team?:confused:

We are a good team.

HOLY CRAP WE ARE A GOOD TEAM!!!! :yo:

TBH until you posted that I didn't think of us in that fashion, you just changed my perspective on this team.

Cool beans and welcome to Shannyco's Leafs Nation!

GO LEAFS GO!!!

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Leafs need more players like Hyman and Komarov and not less.

Both Hyman and Komarov get more TOI/g then most Leafs forwards. Only Matthews gets more than Leo and both of them and Marner get more than Hyman.

Babcock loves a player on each line that does the heavy lifting for the line, hits, forechecks, crashes the crease and screens the goalie types.

Great. Cue Rychel.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
that joke - is seriously tired.

Hyman provides something to the team that not a lot of players provide. and I think - quite frankly, a lot of people tend to forget that he was too, in fact a rookie. And just because he was an older one - doesn't mean that he's going to be worse, (or better), but he did struggle near the end of the year. But that doesn't equate that he is a nothing borderline NHL player.

honestly.

what does he provide that isn't easily replaceable ?

pk - he was the worst of the 4 guys we mainly used and our pk was poor the last roughly 40% of the season plus playoffs

physicality - nope

offense ability - stone hands , zero vision , the guy can't even lift his head to make a simple pass when he's moving

5 on 5 defense - he usually the first out of our zone (the endless soft dumps to himself after blowing the zone early and getting head manned the puck) and the last one back (usually glued to the front of the net until the puck leaves the offensive zone)

he can skate and tries hard , too bad he accomplishes very little even though he's glued to AM's side as well as playing with another exceptional in Nylander

I'll put it this way , if Babcock didn't love completely unskilled players like Hyman and used him in a position that his skill set dictated there wouldn't be one person saying he should be playing with AM or he's nothing more than a borderline NHLer (outside of family members on this board) .

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

I have a komarov jersey and been a big Leo supporter. However he is definitely the type of player top teams decide to let go or pay cheap.

If he wants 4th line money (doubt it) and sees/wants a cup chance here. I would be happy to have him as a cheap utility man. I wouldn't be pissed if he takes a contract somewhere else, paying him more before heading back home.

We will see a few "good" guys go over the years, it's part of having a good team.....

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I have a komarov jersey and been a big Leo supporter. However he is definitely the type of player top teams decide to let go or pay cheap.

If he wants 4th line money (doubt it) and sees/wants a cup chance here. I would be happy to have him as a cheap utility man. I wouldn't be pissed if he takes a contract somewhere else, paying him more before heading back home.

We will see a few "good" guys go over the years, it's part of having a good team.....

Yeah, we've built that overflowing stable of good prospects for a reason.

We got a good deal older and more experienced with some signings.

Now it's time to get younger within.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
1- he's a nothing borderline AHLer

Fixed your post

Apollo Leaf

Apr 8, 2010
I'm a few days late, but I like this signing. I'm not crazy about the term but Hyman is an excellent bottom 6 player so it's fine.

Leafs scouts knew what they were doing when they acquired him from Florida for a 6th rounder a few years ago.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
what does he provide that isn't easily replaceable ?

pk - he was the worst of the 4 guys we mainly used and our pk was poor the last roughly 40% of the season plus playoffs

physicality - nope

offense ability - stone hands , zero vision , the guy can't even lift his head to make a simple pass when he's moving

5 on 5 defense - he usually the first out of our zone (the endless soft dumps to himself after blowing the zone early and getting head manned the puck) and the last one back (usually glued to the front of the net until the puck leaves the offensive zone)

he can skate and tries hard , too bad he accomplishes very little even though he's glued to AM's side as well as playing with another exceptional in Nylander

I'll put it this way , if Babcock didn't love completely unskilled players like Hyman and used him in a position that his skill set dictated there wouldn't be one person saying he should be playing with AM or he's nothing more than a borderline NHLer (outside of family members on this board) .

and most people saiid he shouldn't be playing with Matthews. so what is your point? Most people said he should be moved down the lineup. that has nothing to do with how Babcock sees him or not.

however i really am not going to get into it. it's clear that you think he's a borderline NHLer and as you are quite convinced in that argument, including throwing out the "family member" barbs there's no point in discussing it. We'll simply have to agree to disagree.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Based on $78M cap (best guesstimate of average cap over the next 4 years) - Hyman will make 2.9 % of the Leafs cap.

$78M / 23 = %3.4

Hyman's average usage over the term will be a third liner and top PKer. Also he will be a role model for less skilled role players and will motivate them and show them max effort and sheer will and determination can secure a roster spot.

I like the deal for Hyman now. I like it for the Leafs in years 3 and 4.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Fixed your post

Hyman is not an AHLer.

Andrew Cogliano, plays with Kesler/Silf, prime PKer.
3 million/year, 16 goals, 19 assists

Hyman 2.25 million/year 10 goals, 18 assists.
There is absolutely no reason Hyman can't score 5-6 more goals if that's what you need to feel better + prime PKer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad