Proposal: Leafs & Rangers

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Kapanen for Georgiev at least would make you go hmmm. Johnsson/4th off 6 month serious knee surgery easy pass for NYR.

good

leafs arent trading kap for a 3rd goalie (and one with worse career numbers than their top 2 guys)

Jack Campbell is signed for 2 more seasons @ 1.65. leafs arent in the backup market anymore especially for a cost of kap.

lock this thread up mods

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
THIS^

also Geo makes sense in that any other aspect aside, he makes Andersson, who costs more, not essential in net. Saves $, cap.

Andersen costs more becuase he is really good. Georgiev isnt. pawns your 3rd G somewhere else the leafs are set in goal

Reactions: Ciao

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The Leafs have no need for Gorgiev anymore. Andersen / Campbell is the duo, going forward.

Also, there's no reason for NYR to trade Gorgiev for so little. They should be holding onto him unless they get a real offer. A 3rd liner who just had a disaster season isn't going to cut it.

This is bad for both teams. But it's even bad value for NYR.

21pts in 43 games while getting minimal PP time is a disaster?

Also LOL at Johnsson being considered a 3rd liner. When he put up 43pts in 73 games these are the rangers forwards who outscored him

Zibanejad
Kreider

short list

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
21pts in 43 games while getting minimal PP time is a disaster?

Also LOL at Johnsson being considered a 3rd liner. When he put up 43pts in 73 games these are the rangers forwards who outscored him

Zibanejad
Kreider

short list

And here's a list of Rangers who outscored Johnsson this year:

Panarin
Zibanejad
R. Strome
DeAngelo
Buchnevich
Kreider
Fox
Fast
Trouba
Chytil
Kakko
Skjei

Cherry picking is fun isn't it?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Make you go hmm??? Toronto wouldn't offer Kapanen for a goalie.
See all above posts. I said Toronto shouldn't do this. But from NYR side 3rd liners coming off major knee surgery and off ehh year when healthy is not getting Georgiev.

And in a world against the cap IF YOU TRUSTED GEORGIEV Leafs could help cap issues by trading for Georgiev, trading Anderson for cheaper D/forward depth, and you solve your long term goalie situation after 2021. 64000 question is do you trust Georgiev to be a 1?

Reactions: bernmeister

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... LOL at Johnsson being considered a 3rd liner ...

of course he is in that ballpark.
The difference between a 2d line Wing and a a 3rd line wing is pretty thin at NHL level,
the difference between your #4 wing and #7 wing is pretty thin.

He had a strong season the year before, it earned him a not insignificant Cap Hit.
He may again provide "secondary scoring" down the road.
But I am not seeing how he has established himself as a bona fide top 3 Wing, ie a full-time, all-the-time 2d liner -
do some Leafs fans prefer him ahead of any of Marner, Nylander, Kap or Hyman?
Is he really much different than a few dozen other maybe available middle 6 wings with some scoring touch?

Anyway this thread has run out of ideas,
Johnsson doesn't meet NYR's needs
(btw he's older, smaller and less productive than Buch... )
NYR needs younger guys, SDA or Abramov might be more tempting
and TML have 2 goalies signed going forward.

Johnsson could be a valuable asset, especially to a team closer to contending, needing that insurance and secondary scoring,
but to NYR, AJ would not be worth Georgie, or >$3M Cap, at this point in NYR rebuild.

2 years from now, NYR will have clearer view of what they have, and what they need, as they begin to seriously (we hope) contend, and if that is wing depth, at that point, a guy with this profile could be a fit.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
And here's a list of Rangers who outscored Johnsson this year:

Panarin
Zibanejad
R. Strome
DeAngelo
Buchnevich
Kreider
Fox
Fast
Trouba
Chytil
Kakko
Skjei

Cherry picking is fun isn't it?
Ahahahha had to.....and how many of those played more games than AJ? I could care less not a fan of either team really especially the rangers but if your gonna cherry pick
..cherry pick right!

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Ahahahha had to.....and how many of those played more games than AJ? I could care less not a fan of either team really especially the rangers but if your gonna cherry pick
..cherry pick right!
How many of those guys would AJ really slot-in ahead of? Maybe 1 (if we're just talking about wingers).

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
..cherry pick right!

Johnsson’s points per game percentage (.49) paces him to 40 points over a full 82 games. Here’s the list of players that outscored him regardless of that hypothetical scenario...

Panarin
Zibanejad
Strome
DeAngelo
Buchnevich
Kreider
Fox

However, since hypotheticals are just that, the reality is that while a useful player, he wouldn’t put up his 2019 numbers in NY unless playing with Panarin or Zibanejad and there’s no guarantee he’d be doing so.

With that said, I thought the Campbell trade would have spelled the end of the Georgiev to Toronto rumors.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
..cherry pick right!

And how many of those players AJ outscored last year played less games than him? It's cherry picking from both sides and that's the point.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Make you go hmm??? Toronto wouldn't offer Kapanen for a goalie.

Well coming from a habs fan I completely disagree. I would choose kapanen over georgiev any day of the week. Kapanen brings way ways more to a game than just points he is a hard worker with elite speed and great at pk I seriously think he is a real game changer. No ofc he isn't elite but there's more to his game than meets the eye.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
See all above posts. I said Toronto shouldn't do this. But from NYR side 3rd liners coming off major knee surgery and off ehh year when healthy is not getting Georgiev.

And in a world against the cap IF YOU TRUSTED GEORGIEV Leafs could help cap issues by trading for Georgiev, trading Anderson for cheaper D/forward depth, and you solve your long term goalie situation after 2021. 64000 question is do you trust Georgiev to be a 1?

Which is a pretty easy "no" as an answer at this point. Hes still quite unproven and isnt even coming off a particularly strong small sample size either.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Rangers hang up the phone laughing. Get this thru you heads people. This is not a reclamation project like Raanta or Talbot. You are going to pay to get Georgiev. Get with it. Johnsson is completely useless for the Rangers. They have Kravtsov and Barron on the way. I'm not giving up on Andersson either. They added a very talented forward prospect with size in Gauthier. They have two first rounders this season.

I get whay Johnsson isn't a good fit for the Rangers, but, some of this is pretty funny... I mean, a "Very talented" forward prospect with size in Gauthier... He's a guy I wanted in a trade with Carolina, and I think one day he might make a decent third liner, or a very good fourth liner... but a "very talented"... That's just a monstrous stretch.

Look, you've got Panarin and Kreider playing LW, and Buchnevich can play there too... you have zero need for another LW... so it's pretty much done there... no need to go crazy on propects (who mostly play a different position anyway).

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Georgiev is underrated and I’m not even that high on him. A 24 year old with his stats so far has a very good chance at being a starter later on considering goalies peak around 30. He’s inconsistent but he’s unreal when he’s on and Leafs fans know that best

The Rangers GM apparently won’t take anything less than a first for him. Two guys that are NHL starters, Talbot and Raanta, both went for less than that. He’s definitely not underrated.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
of course he is in that ballpark.
The difference between a 2d line Wing and a a 3rd line wing is pretty thin at NHL level,
the difference between your #4 wing and #7 wing is pretty thin.

He had a strong season the year before, it earned him a not insignificant Cap Hit.
He may again provide "secondary scoring" down the road.
But I am not seeing how he has established himself as a bona fide top 3 Wing, ie a full-time, all-the-time 2d liner -
do some Leafs fans prefer him ahead of any of Marner, Nylander, Kap or Hyman?
Is he really much different than a few dozen other maybe available middle 6 wings with some scoring touch?

Anyway this thread has run out of ideas,
Johnsson doesn't meet NYR's needs
(btw he's older, smaller and less productive than Buch... )
NYR needs younger guys, SDA or Abramov might be more tempting
and TML have 2 goalies signed going forward.

Johnsson could be a valuable asset, especially to a team closer to contending, needing that insurance and secondary scoring,
but to NYR, AJ would not be worth Georgie, or >$3M Cap, at this point in NYR rebuild.

2 years from now, NYR will have clearer view of what they have, and what they need, as they begin to seriously (we hope) contend, and if that is wing depth, at that point, a guy with this profile could be a fit.

Think of this as a Georgiyev cap dump for a mid round pick to not pay his 4M+ contract that’s coming in the summer, like we did with Vesey and Namestnikov and then Johnsson replacing Fast. I’d much rather pay Johnsson 3.4 for the next three seasons than pay at least that to Fast for the next three seasons. I don’t know that Johnsson will be a good second liner on our team, but the Leafs have better winger depth than we do. He very well might be. There’s little risk in this trade for us.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
The reason i made this thread , was i just don't like the idea of paying goalies 32+ massive contract and freddy will be turning 32 NEXT season after his contract is up. I think his time is done as a leaf , after his contract is up. Campbell has looked really good for us I'm not gonna lie, I'm just not sure he's the long term solution.

If the rangers didn't have a Igor Shensterkin , there's no way that Georgiev would ever be considered on the trade block. both goalie on the rangers are under 25 and are ready to be NHL starters. Our best goalie prospect Ian Scott was out for a full year due to a major surgery. I wish the leafs had some more certainty with our goalie depth , but unfortunately we don't. After scott , we have woll who had a lack luster year which is fine at 21 in the AHL playing on a mediocre team. But after scott & woll our golie depth is literally, Zachary Bouthillier, Yeah who?

after next year who's in between the pipes Campbell for 1 year? Okay cool than what hope our prospects pan out and are ready by 23, Very rare for goalies . Trade a boat load for a proven NHL starter? OR buy on Georgiev get us a really good young starting goalie who we can have for the next 7+ Years. It just makes sense for the leafs future. If scott & or woll do well they can backup Georgiev and earn his spot eventually but that's too far in the future. We have some forwards who the leafs can afford. Rangers are looking for a top 6 . I think there is a deal that can be done to fill both teams needs.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I get whay Johnsson isn't a good fit for the Rangers, but, some of this is pretty funny... I mean, a "Very talented" forward prospect with size in Gauthier... He's a guy I wanted in a trade with Carolina, and I think one day he might make a decent third liner, or a very good fourth liner... but a "very talented"... That's just a monstrous stretch.

Look, you've got Panarin and Kreider playing LW, and Buchnevich can play there too... you have zero need for another LW... so it's pretty much done there... no need to go crazy on propects (who mostly play a different position anyway).

It’s not that Johnsson wouldn’t be a fit, it’s that Johnsson would be a sell-low type of return for Georgiev, considering that Lundqvist is either going to retire or have a compliance buyout used on him and the Rangers should hold onto Georgiev and build him up like the Canucks did with Schneider. He’s a very good backup and if given more of a chance to put up good numbers behind a better team defensively, his value could increase with time. It makes sense for the Rangers to hold onto him right now unless blown away with an offer, in this case, Kapanen, which I don’t think would be smart for Toronto after trading for Campbell.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It’s not that Johnsson wouldn’t be a fit, it’s that Johnsson would be a sell-low type of return for Georgiev, considering that Lundqvist is either going to retire or have a compliance buyout used on him and the Rangers should hold onto Georgiev and build him up like the Canucks did with Schneider. He’s a very good backup and if given more of a chance to put up good numbers behind a better team defensively, his value could increase with time. It makes sense for the Rangers to hold onto him right now unless blown away with an offer, in this case, Kapanen, which I don’t think would be smart for Toronto after trading for Campbell.

Generally full concur.
I don't hesitate to deal Geo if the return is enuf.
Whether or not something around Kap is the right currency we want, value in terms of production aside, is another story.

1 thing to remember:
if we don't get sufficient return to warrant a deal, we keep Geo and cover him with the one slot in the exp draft. Fits like a glove. Shesty exempt, Hank ufa.
Kap, on the other hand, is an addition we have to protect.
We should already be trying to consolidate our vets to deal with that.

Something like Geo + Buch + Deangelo for Nylander
not a lesser target

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Johnsson’s points per game percentage (.49) paces him to 40 points over a full 82 games. Here’s the list of players that outscored him regardless of that hypothetical scenario...

Panarin
Zibanejad
Strome
DeAngelo
Buchnevich
Kreider
Fox

However, since hypotheticals are just that, the reality is that while a useful player, he wouldn’t put up his 2019 numbers in NY unless playing with Panarin or Zibanejad and there’s no guarantee he’d be doing so.

With that said, I thought the Campbell trade would have spelled the end of the Georgiev to Toronto rumors.
Much smaller list!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad