Proposal: Leafs & Rangers

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
In this scenario, a team at the top of the cap with players to sign, takes more cap space back. That's derailing any trade. If NYR lost Fast, and weren't a cap team, maybe something around Johnsson works, but right now I don't see a deal like this making sense until we sign players and figure out where our money is going.

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Leafs acquire Alexandar Georgiev
Rangers acquire Andreas Johnsson + Vegas golden knights 4th round pick

yeah kinda looks 'fair' on paper,
but i expect NYR would want more youth and upside to go along with, or instead of, a decent middle 6 W,
AJ is a good depth guy, potential secondary scoring with 1 very good season on his record, but similar guys are usually available
SDA or Abramov in a package could get more consideration from NYR; next season isn't when NYR intend to seriously contend, upside youth would be more compelling

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019

Rangers hang up the phone laughing. Get this thru you heads people. This is not a reclamation project like Raanta or Talbot. You are going to pay to get Georgiev. Get with it. Johnsson is completely useless for the Rangers. They have Kravtsov and Barron on the way. I'm not giving up on Andersson either. They added a very talented forward prospect with size in Gauthier. They have two first rounders this season.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
The Leafs have no need for Gorgiev anymore. Andersen / Campbell is the duo, going forward.

Also, there's no reason for NYR to trade Gorgiev for so little. They should be holding onto him unless they get a real offer. A 3rd liner who just had a disaster season isn't going to cut it.

This is bad for both teams. But it's even bad value for NYR.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
The Leafs have no need for Gorgiev anymore. Andersen / Campbell is the duo, going forward.

Also, there's no reason for NYR to trade Gorgiev for so little. They should be holding onto him unless they get a real offer. A 3rd liner who just had a disaster season isn't going to cut it.

This exactly. Why in God's name does anyone think we need another Georgiev to Toronto thread? We spent all year drowning in these discussions and he no longer fills a need.

Ishtabeat

Mar 19, 2020
I’d do it for Engvall. Not that big a fan of Johnsson but I think values fair and I’d probably do that too

Cost for Zach Hyman? Not sure if Leafs can afford him next year

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
This would already have happened in Jan/Feb if it made sense for both .
NYR say no .

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
mixed feelings about this one. georgiev is incredibility overrated and if we trade for him, we'd unnecessarily have 3 nhl goalies at once. i'd be pissed if acquiring him meant andersen is getting moved because georgiev hasn't proven he can be a number 1 for a long period of time, like andersen has.

otoh, clearing johnsson's cap hit would be great and getting goergiev gives us another decent option in net beyond 2021.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
A mediocre back-up who can’t pass through waivers does not have that value. Rags have to buy out or trade Lundqvist or carry three goalies while dealing with cap issue or trade Georgiev for a 3rd.

The Leafs have no need for three goalies and having the same three goalie mess that the Rags are facing.

Ledge And Dairy

A mediocre back-up who can’t pass through waivers does not have that value. Rags have to buy out or trade Lundqvist or carry three goalies while dealing with cap issue or trade Georgiev for a 3rd.

The Leafs have no need for three goalies and having the same three goalie mess that the Rags are facing.
Although I do agree this thread is pointless now that Campbell is a Leaf, calling a promising 24 year old goalie who's worst SV% in the majors is .910 a mediocre back up is just incredibly inaccurate and ignorant.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Nope.
We do not want another F we have to protect in exp dr when we are trying to reduce roster to get to our core.

Also if there is a choice I don't want Geo to EC,. send him outside conference.

exception is something around
Geo
Buch
Deangelo

for

Nylander
possible small cap dump

that is what IMO we do.
No Kap, no Johnsson, etc

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

THIS^

also Geo makes sense in that any other aspect aside, he makes Andersson, who costs more, not essential in net. Saves $, cap.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kapanen for Georgiev at least would make you go hmmm. Johnsson/4th off 6 month serious knee surgery easy pass for NYR.

You are overvaluing Georgiyev. The Rangers have done really well to prop up the value of an average hockey player. His value shouldn’t be more than a 2nd with a small +, which I think this trade probably is.

Reactions: Ciao

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
You are overvaluing Georgiyev. The Rangers have done really well to prop up the value of an average hockey player. His value shouldn’t be more than a 2nd with a small +, which I think this trade probably is.

1)Assuming Hank bought out Rangers don't have to move Georgiev. This is crucial. This summer might not be best one to move but next one is after the ED and teams will need 1a goalies. Pens goalies could lose value out of need to trade. Not Rangers.

2) Georgiev has always had .910-.918 sv percentage on a team that was bottom 3 Defensively on expected goals allowed this past year. Of course he isn't Shesterkin. But he is 18-25ish in league. That is worth more than 2 and spare part. I don't think Leafs should trade Kap for Georgiev. But acquiring Johnnson off a major knee surgery is easy pass.

3) Unless leafs are trading Anderson the whole post is null and void.

Reactions: bernmeister

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1)Assuming Hank bought out Rangers don't have to move Georgiev. This is crucial. This summer might not be best one to move but next one is after the ED and teams will need 1a goalies. Pens goalies could lose value out of need to trade. Not Rangers.

2) Georgiev has always had .910-.918 sv percentage on a team that was bottom 3 Defensively on expected goals allowed this past year. Of course he isn't Shesterkin. But he is 18-25ish in league. That is worth more than 2 and spare part. I don't think Leafs should trade Kap for Georgiev. But acquiring Johnnson off a major knee surgery is easy pass.

3) Unless leafs are trading Anderson the whole post is null and void.

Georgiyev’s value will only go down once he’s making 4M per year. No ones going to trade for a non-1A goalie that’s making that kind of money, especially with the upcoming salary cap issues for almost every team.

Georgiyev is exactly the type of player no team wants to pay once he’s due a raise because his real value is in being a dirt cheap back up that is better than nearly every back up in the league. No team is going to pay a 1st round pick for this guy and then have to pay him more than he’s paid now. You need useful players making nothing. Once these middle of the league players are due a raise, you trade them, if you are up against the cap. You won’t be able to trade them for anything of value once they have a big salary.

Besides, he’s worse than the prior two back ups we traded, Talbot and Raanta, neither of which went for anywhere near a 1st round pick. And there’s no need to buy out Lundqvist. The Rangers have leverage at the draft to trade Georgiyev, but they also shouldn’t be stupid. Once they have to pay him, they have no leverage. And if they ever want to trade him past this offseason, his value will be nothing, like it was with Vesey and Namestnikov, two other recent Ranger cap dumps because Gorton was stupid enough to be stuck with paying their RFA salary based on declining performance.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Georgiev is a talented young keeper. But, the Leafs have no need for him in the short term. Jack Campbell looks to be exactly what the team needed in the backup role and Andersen has another year before they reassess. They have greater use for Johnsson at least in the short term.

Ishtabeat

Mar 19, 2020
Georgiev is underrated and I’m not even that high on him. A 24 year old with his stats so far has a very good chance at being a starter later on considering goalies peak around 30. He’s inconsistent but he’s unreal when he’s on and Leafs fans know that best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad