Prospect Info: Leafs Prospect Camp: July 7-11

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Cody Donaghey needs to be signed, can't believe he wasn't drafted. This is how we need to make up for trading away so many draft picks.

Agreed.

Also very happy to see Samuel VIgneault on our camp list, he's a guy I really wanted at the Drat.

He's a very tall center with great vision and playmking abilities, great hockey IQ, very good speed, hands, and pretty decent two-way game. Once he adds pound to his frame, he'll be a force.

Really hope we follow his developement at Clarkson University.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Agreed.

Also very happy to see Samuel VIgneault on our camp list, he's a guy I really wanted at the Drat.

He's a very tall center with great vision and playmking abilities, great hockey IQ, very good speed, hands, and pretty decent two-way game. Once he adds pound to his frame, he'll be a force.

Really hope we follow his developement at Clarkson University.

With the new rules allowing teams to retain Euro's for 4 years has probably impacted the draft.

So there might have been players the Leafs wanted but took 4 years of Euro and NCAA prospects with the hope a longer development time results in fewer busts.

I would not be surprised to see the Leafs use these camps to land a few more prospects from the CHL where there is only a 2 year window.

Leafs are realistically at about 45 contracts before signing Nylander. Ranger, Bodie and Abbot are not signed but whatever.

William Nylander*

The prospects must be so hyped for today, good luck to them!

Hoping to see Nylander and Johnson on the same line

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
Somebody film this and throw it on Youtube again PLEASE

I second this. The last few years have been great thanks to those members who are able to do this. As I am banned from you tube at work I would really appreciate if it was put up as a torrent or download???

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With the new rules allowing teams to retain Euro's for 4 years has probably impacted the draft.

So there might have been players the Leafs wanted but took 4 years of Euro and NCAA prospects with the hope a longer development time results in fewer busts.

I would not be surprised to see the Leafs use these camps to land a few more prospects from the CHL where there is only a 2 year window.

Leafs are realistically at about 45 contracts before signing Nylander. Ranger, Bodie and Abbot are not signed but whatever.

Bodie is signed.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
More details...

"Much of the on-ice portion at the Mastercard Centre will be for Leaf eyes only with limited scrimmage action in favour of individual work."

Attending...
Goalie instructors Rick St. Croix and Piero Greco, strength coach Tony Belza and skating coach Barb Underhill. New club president Brendan Shanahan, general manager Dave Nonis, advisor Steve Staios and other execs will also have a presence, while former captain Wendel Clark will address the group later in the week.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/06/maple-leafs-shrink-size-of-prospects-camp

Last edited:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
What is this, Matt Rupert's third camp with us? Wonder if we'll get him signed, management seems to like him.

I think the Leafs need to give the Rupert Bros a long look at the AHL level - would like to see them on a checking line with a guy like Gauthier this year to get their feet wet at the pro level - Gauthier is fast, strong, smart with touch. Ruperts bring grit with the intangible of extreme on-ice awareness chemistry. Finding the right line-mate to maximize the bash brothers will be fun to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
What is this, Matt Rupert's third camp with us? Wonder if we'll get him signed, management seems to like him.

I think the Leafs need to give the Rupert Bros a long look at the AHL level - would like to see them on a checking line with a guy like Gauthier this year to get their feet wet at the pro level - Gauthier is fast, strong, smart with touch. Ruperts bring grit with the intangible of extreme on-ice awareness chemistry. Finding the right line-mate to maximize the bash brothers will be fun to watch.

Frederik Gauthier isn't eligible for the AHL this season, he's 19 and drafted from a CHL organization. This makes him invalid to play in the AHL until he is atleast 20 years old.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario

I think you're probably right about this

CalgaryLeaf*

I have a feeling,a hunch, that one of the Rupert Bros will turn into the type of player that Brad Ross was supposed to be...Originally I didn't think they had the size to be NHL players but they may very well prove me wrong...I'm definitely rooting for the Rupert brothers...Having both make the Marlies or Leafs seems like a longshot but stranger things have happened.

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
I have a feeling,a hunch, that one of the Rupert Bros will turn into the type of player that Brad Ross was supposed to be...Originally I didn't think they had the size to be NHL players but they may very well prove me wrong...I'm definitely rooting for the Rupert brothers...Having both make the Marlies or Leafs seems like a longshot but stranger things have happened.

I loved them last training camp and was rooting for them to be on the leafs. They remind me of Tucker/Corson.. Love the compete and passion in those boys.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I can go film this tomorrow if i can get confirmation that i will be let in and permitted to film. I have a Rebel Cannon t3i so it will be better than cellphone quality.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Does this also include players who are drafted out of European leagues but come over to play in the CHL?

ex. Nylander was drafted out of SHL/Allsvenskan, but if he were to play in OHL for next 2 years, would the Leafs need to sign him to an ELC by 2016? Or would they still own his rights for 2 more years?

MetalJamesK

Jun 27, 2011
Caledon, Ont
Just got back from the first day of prospect camp. Was not allowed in the rink but watched from the window at ice level. Nylander was a stand out to the point of parents of kids at a hockey school going on the same time had pointed out "that 62 looks really good". That he was. He was very quick in and out of corners and his effortless shot was a rocket. He looked relaxed and was a stand out.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just got back from the first day of prospect camp. Was not allowed in the rink but watched from the window at ice level. Nylander was a stand out to the point of parents of kids at a hockey school going on the same time had pointed out "that 62 looks really good". That he was. He was very quick in and out of corners and his effortless shot was a rocket. He looked relaxed and was a stand out.

Wanted that guy, so happy we got him. I think he is going to be a top end 2c and potential for bottom 10 1c.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Thanks for the update, anything else from him and other prospects that looked good or bad or invitees that stood out?

MetalJamesK

Jun 27, 2011
Caledon, Ont
"Thanks for the update, anything else from him and other prospects that looked good or bad or invitees that stood out?"

It was only my first time watching him in person but from what I saw he looked legit. Stick handling looked great and not just his top end speed but the way he was able to weave in and out of corners super quick I found enjoyable to watch. He and Conner Brown where the stand outs for me. Both scored in almost every drill, seemed like they hated not scoring even in small drills. The scary thing is Nylander looked effortless and smooth while still being the standout.

MetalJamesK

Jun 27, 2011
Caledon, Ont
Thanks for the update, anything else from him and other prospects that looked good or bad or invitees that stood out?

Dakota Joshua for me didnt look to good. Im not familiar with his game style but he was a little slower and his shot was not up to par with the other players. He does have good size, would like to see him in contact situations.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wanted that guy, so happy we got him. I think he is going to be a top end 2c and potential for bottom 10 1c.

The kid projects as the most talented Swedish forward since Nicklas Backstrom, so I think he's a home run swing you hope will turn into a top ten center if all goes well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad