Prospect Info: Leafs Prospect Camp: July 7-11

JMcLeaf

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Wednesday that the team’s prospect camp, held from July 7 to 11, will feature 29 players. The group will consist of three goaltenders, 18 forwards and eight defencemen. All six of the Maple Leafs’ 2014 draft choices will be in attendance, including Toronto’s first-round selection, William Nylander.

See the camp roster here: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725185

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I see that the Bob Carpenter listed on that roster is longtime NHLer Bobby Carpenter's son.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
The Leafs depth chart is thin in goal. I saw Matt Mancina of the Guelph Storm play a couple of games when I was following Matt Finn on TV. His stats, which are very good, probably reflect the strength of the team in front of him. But he has good size and he did look good to me in the games I saw. Disclaimer: I have no confidence in my ability to evaluate goalie prospects! Still, I wonder if a stellar camp might lead to a contract offer.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
What is this, Matt Rupert's third camp with us? Wonder if we'll get him signed, management seems to like him.

edit: pretty sure Mancina will get drafted next season if hes not signed by us

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
The Leafs depth chart is thin in goal. I saw Matt Mancina of the Guelph Storm play a couple of games when I was following Matt Finn on TV. His stats, which are very good, probably reflect the strength of the team in front of him. But he has good size and he did look good to me in the games I saw. Disclaimer: I have no confidence in my ability to evaluate goalie prospects! Still, I wonder if a stellar camp might lead to a contract offer.

He still has to be passed over in two more drafts before we can just sign him.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I'm pretty sure we could sign him over the summer. That's how we got Crescenzi.

It just doesn't happen often because you're taking a huge risk by giving a contract to a guy nobody would even draft.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005

Unless the recent CBA has changed the rules, which is possible, I don't think that is actually correct. IIRC Andrew Crescenzi is an example of an undrafted underaged player signed as a free agent before his junior eligibility was up. (Sorry for repeating Joey Hoser's point. I was typing before he posted.)

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Unless the recent CBA has changed the rules, which is possible, I don't think that is actually correct. IIRC Andrew Crescenzi is an example of an undrafted underaged player signed as a free agent before his junior eligibility was up. (Sorry for repeating Joey Hoser's point. I was typing before he posted.)

I'm pretty sure we could sign him over the summer. That's how we got Crescenzi.

It just doesn't happen often because you're taking a huge risk by giving a contract to a guy nobody would even draft.

Hmm, you guys may be right. I'd just always assumed you had to go through your draft eligibility before you were free to sign with whomever, but I couldn't find anything online that backed me up.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Hmm, you guys may be right. I'd just always assumed you had to go through your draft eligibility before you were free to sign with whomever, but I couldn't find anything online that backed me up.

Thanks, I appreciate that! As a relatively new poster you may not know how rarely anybody here admits they may be mistaken. Your honesty is refreshing! And if the new CBA changed the rules, you may be right after all.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Thanks, I appreciate that! As a relatively new poster you may not know how rarely anybody here admits they may be mistaken. Your honesty is refreshing! And if the new CBA changed the rules, you may be right after all.

It sort of makes me wonder about a guy like Tanner Pearson though, who goes from being undrafted in his first two years of eligibility to being a guy ranked in the first round. Surely it would be worth the risk to offer him and ELC before the draft and not have to use a draft pick on him.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
It sort of makes me wonder about a guy like Tanner Pearson though, who goes from being undrafted in his first two years of eligibility to being a guy ranked in the first round. Surely it would be worth the risk to offer him and ELC before the draft and not have to use a draft pick on him.

Yes, or spent a 7th round choice on him one of the two previous drafts. There are probably a lot of scouting directors saying, "If only..."

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Cody Donaghey needs to be signed, can't believe he wasn't drafted. This is how we need to make up for trading away so many draft picks.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

You can't sign him whenever you want. I think there's only a few weeks in the summer when you can. After that window you can only get them via the draft.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
You can't sign him whenever you want. I think there's only a few weeks in the summer when you can. After that window you can only get them via the draft.

Right. The reason players are not signed like this more often is the reserve list limit of contracted players (50 per team). Leafs have utilized Marlie contracts when they are at the limit to keep tabs on prospects, but these players are still UFA from an NHL perspective. eg. Paul Ranger's first year as a Marlie.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hey, just wondering if anyone will be recording the prospect camp this year. I'd love to get a first glimpse at Nylander in the blue and white scrimmage.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wouldn't shock me to see Matt Rupert given at the very least a Marlies contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad