Line Combos: Leafs Practice Lines Today

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Not sure that solves things though. That line needs Bozak off for a center who can actually help the transition, or they need Nylander on the wing. I don't think Brown solves the zone exit issue, so I fear this will just make us take a step back.

Maybe the message is intended for Marner.

TOI is the reward and Marner's would presumably be cut if this went forward.

Maybe the Bozak-JVR scapegoat that is viewed by some "fans" isn't necessarily viewed by Babcock.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Maybe the Bozak-JVR scapegoat that is viewed by some "fans" isn't necessarily viewed by Babcock.
Maybe the message is intended for the team.
Like if 3 kids are talking in class and you move one to the other side. Who is guilty? Teacher needs to settle things down so he can teach the rest.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Opened it hoping to find Komorov benched for Leivo Marleau on the top line brown playing with Kadri and Leivo and Hyman in his rightful spot...4th line

Leaving disappointed

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I think this is a blessing for Mitch. He is more suited to play with guys like Martin, Moore and Fehr as crazy as that sounds. All three of these guys like to hunt the puck and will get it for Marner. He can then thread passes towards the net which could equate to "garbage goals" in front of the net.
Tend to agree.

Marner gets to play with his buddy Martin. Put Gardiner and Zaitsev on the ice, and suddenly this 4th line looks like it can score with 400 lbs of line mates heading to the front of the net.

Reactions: Hagstrom

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Babcock said today that that line wasn't going "the tie goes to vet" so in other words, he could have taken any of those three and put them down on the 4th line. It certainly is a shot. Mitch will respond, I wonder what happens if and when JVR and Bozak don't?

So if you were to pick another guy to get demoted who would it be??? You going to demote Bozak to the 4th line and promote Fehr or Moore to the 3rd line? You're not moving Matthews or Kadri. You're making this far too hard. I have already said it a couple times and I will say it again. Marner can still evolve his game at the age of 19-20. Guys like Bozak-JVR at their age can't evolve their game. They are still really darn good at what they do, they have blemishes just like most 3rd line guys. Those blemishes won't be fixed by demoting them to the 4th line.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I don't see this change (if it's more than a few games) having much effect on JVR/Bozak. They don't play 200 feet and replace Marner with Brown won't change that - unless something happens to change their dynamic that hasn't happened in the past, under every coach they've played under since JVR arrived in 2011 (or whatever year it was).

I actually think that the line won't look much different.

And Marner with Martin and Moore/Fehr could be better offensively with Marner and they won't suffer defensively either.

I know it's the 4 th line, but, I think it's a win win for Marner - he needs a break from carrying JVR/Bozak frankly.

Who knows, maybe the 4th line will outproduce Bozak/JVR/Brown in terms of NET production and perhaps that would embarrass JVR and Bozak into playing 200 feet - but I doubt it.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I personally would like Marner to watch for a couple games and let Leivo have a go at the 4th line. I think Marner is benefiting from such a talented team with lots of shiny objects to watch. When Kadri was going through his funks early on they had no problem sending him down to develop or sit some.

This organization was so hard on Kadri. I guess it worked out but I felt bad for him and I think other young players in that situation would try to play elsewhere.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Babcock said today that that line wasn't going "the tie goes to vet" so in other words, he could have taken any of those three and put them down on the 4th line. It certainly is a shot. Mitch will respond, I wonder what happens if and when JVR and Bozak don't?

Its a shot at the whole line. From my perspective Mitch is the last one that should be blamed for this. He is going to have alot of jump Tuesday night. JVR needs to be moved out of town , same with Bozak. The effort they give along the wall or sacrificing themselves is embarrassing and out of place on this team which is comprised of high compete players.

Reactions: Rogie

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
True. That's an issue for next year, but I don't think we need to look for another Bozak necessarily. We'll have skill on the wings, so if we can get a more traditional third center who can help the two-way game and the transition, our wingers can drive offense on that line.
Kadri will never be effective as a 2nd line center; hasn't anyone noticed he's most effective as the center of a more defensive line? If Bozak goes, it'll be for a more offensive threat that can support Matthews, not to bump Kadri up.
People blamed Kessel before and gave bozak+jvr free pass now its Marner?

I am so sick of the free pass those two get
Wait, wait, wait, TYLER BOZAK has gotten free passes in Toronto? The go-to guy for everything wrong with the Leafs for 3/4th of the fanbase pretty much since he got here? He gets a free pass?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Maybe the message is intended for the team.
Like if 3 kids are talking in class and you move one to the other side. Who is guilty? Teacher needs to settle things down so he can teach the rest.

You don't think Marner will read a message into having his ice time reduced?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Will he still get PP time?
Babcock said don't read into it but yet we are 12 pages later reading into it. That line needed to be changed, no secret to anyone here. It was bleeding goals against. They aren't going with Matthews/Kadri so that leaves one place. Moore/Fehr aren't centering the 3rd line and tie goes to the vet. A tie, not clearly 1 player outperforming another away from the puck.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

nylander had some 4th line duty last year didn't hurt him
if jvr /bozak don't play the right way .look for marner to bump jvr by the second period .
him and bozy know they are gone if they want a raise .bozak is a 3 million dollar guy on the leafs going forward ,jvr is second /third line in the nhl .

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
nylander had some 4th line duty last year didn't hurt him
if jvr /bozak don't play the right way .look for marner to bump jvr by the second period .
him and bozy know they are gone if they want a raise .bozak is a 3 million dollar guy on the leafs going forward ,jvr is second /third line in the nhl .

I don't think it will hurt at all. He's young and 2 years ago was on the Marlies.

What's interesting is that it's clearly a message to the line but also specifically to Marner who would have his ice time reduced if this happened.

Seems that Marner hasn't been the mob focus so far and the desire to pin his performance on Bozak and/or JVR is growing comical

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You don't think Marner will read a message into having his ice time reduced?

Hasn’t Connor Brown been getting more ice time than Marner already, even playing 4th line? Don’t have easy access to stat aggregations right now but that’s my impression.

That said, I wonder if Babcock is gearing up a Rielly-esque project of starving Marner of certain minutes (5v5, PP?) in favour of giving him more defensive minutes. Not to indirectly “send him a message”, but to actively coach him into improving his defensive game.

Leafs fans talk about “sending messages” often and to me it seems a little too unprofessional. Carlyle and Wilson, I think I read that communication wasn’t great, but Babcock and the coaching staff in place I’m under the impression has great and frequent communication. I doubt there are indirect messages being sent with ice time, but I’d expect more of an active “training” coming for Marner to go along with this change in ice time. Especially for a player so new.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Hasn’t Connor Brown been getting more ice time than Marner already, even playing 4th line? Don’t have easy access to stat aggregations right now but that’s my impression.

That said, I wonder if Babcock is gearing up a Rielly-esque project of starving Marner of certain minutes (5v5, PP?) in favour of giving him more defensive minutes. Not to indirectly “send him a message”, but to actively coach him into improving his defensive game.

Leafs fans talk about “sending messages” often and to me it seems a little too unprofessional. Carlyle and Wilson, I think I read that communication wasn’t great, but Babcock and the coaching staff in place I’m under the impression has great and frequent communication. I doubt there are indirect messages being sent with ice time, but I’d expect more of an active “training” coming for Marner to go along with this change in ice time. Especially for a player so new.

Brown trails Marner in ice time.

Anyways, it's all speculation and a lot of "ifs". Don't know if these practice lines will stick. For how long or how the new combos would be utilized.

Generally speaking, playing with Matt Martin won't help someone with 5v5 ES TOI or points.

But I hear your point on active training.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This organization was so hard on Kadri. I guess it worked out but I felt bad for him and I think other young players in that situation would try to play elsewhere.

I wouldn't compare these two situations at all. I agree Kadri was handled badly, if the organization was in the shape it's in now when he was drafted he would likely have become a star a few years earlier. Mitch on the 4th line for a bit is nothing and as many have said, it's a shot at his line mates just as much as it is a shot at him.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Maybe what's actually happened is Martin and Fehr/Moore have been moved up to the 2nd or 3rd line - lol.
Marner is our future and this may be a good thing for him. If you want to be a core player (and I know Marner does) how you handle the tough times is more important than how you handle the good times. Anyone can smile and be told they are great. Now it's time to show why that is. It's not about points so don't worry about Moore/Martin. Babcock isn't a guy that says you must score 3 goals. It's about how you play. Who you are. We want Mitch to be a key piece for a Cup contending team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
@Mess Other teams clobbered Mitch in around Jan/Feb when he supposedly got Mono (which usually means you take time off)
I was referring to the playoff series against the Caps where Marner got hit in open ice with a big body check (Game #2 IIRC) and then it seemed to take him out of the series after that.

I don't have a clip of it, but I'm sure others might, or remember the hit I'm talking about. Marner was carrying the puck into the zone and then got run over in his tracks.

Caps have Wilson and others that might want to again play Marner physically and playing on a line with Martin might protect Mitch from unnecessary abuse tonight. Perhaps this is part of Babcocks thinking to shelter Marner by giving him a bodyguard for tonight in Martin.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't think it will hurt at all. He's young and 2 years ago was on the Marlies.

What's interesting is that it's clearly a message to the line but also specifically to Marner who would have his ice time reduced if this happened.

Seems that Marner hasn't been the mob focus so far and the desire to pin his performance on Bozak and/or JVR is growing comical

Obviously, van Riemsdyk and Bozak need a strong defensive player on their line.
Brown is a better 200 foot player than Marner. Not a shot at all, Gretzky wasn't a good 200 foot player either and was one of the best ever based on the offensive side of the ice. Bergeron is a much better 200 foot player than anyone/everyone right now, and he isn't the best player in the league.

Marner's a 20 year old still learning the game, and now isn't a surprise to anyone on the ice. Teams adjust, player have to adjust to the attention they get.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I was referring to the playoff series against the Caps where Marner got hit in open ice with a big body check (Game #2 IIRC) and then it seemed to take him out of the series after that.

I don't have a clip of it, but I'm sure others might, or remember the hit I'm talking about. Marner was carrying the puck into the zone and then got run over in his tracks.

Caps have Wilson and others that might want to again play Marner physically and playing on a line with Martin might protect Mitch from unnecessary abuse tonight. Perhaps this is part of Babcocks thinking to shelter Marner by giving him a bodyguard for tonight in Martin.

I know that. I am just saying he was stunned in a game in FEB as well I think. I believe I remember him being hit hard as well. He did have a fine worlds though so, either way his timing being this off is strange.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I like that things surrounding the Leafs are more tight lipped under Lou's management.

I'm following Shilton and Johnston on Twitter to see what is happening before games - but - I kind of miss the old days, when we could watch the morning skate online with some commentary by McGill and Henny (forget the old GM's name off the top of my head - talk show guy) and other drop in guests.

I assume there's nothing like that available or am I missing something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad