Line Combos: Leafs Practice Lines Today

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Marner will be fine. Everyone knows the real problem here is JVR/Bozak. Every player that was put on that line in the last 3+ years has looked terrible defensively. I think Babcock is protecting Marner here, not demoting him.

I think you gotta put a guy like Komarov there, and put Brown and Marner on lines where they can thrive. Unfortunately that will not happen until next season when JVR and Bozak are both gone and Babcock can run 3 effective and responsible lines.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Brown
Grundstrom - Kadri - Kapanen
Martin - Moore - Komarov

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It looks like Marner has stopped playing that center/winger (rover) type style, now he looks like a speedy winger, with no shot?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So you think Kadri would be -15 against easier competition?
Depends on his linemates. I don't think JVR or Marner wake up and plan to be -15 as a combined line. Brown isn't going to magically fix Bozak/JVR if the miss assignments or blow the zone early. If they play a run and gun game but can't maintain zone possession, it's going to be a good night of backchecking.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I wonder if it might not be better to start letting Marner take some strong side faceoffs a la Nylander? Slowly easing into taking over for Bozak next year at 2C at least for 15-20 games.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Marner Brown
Leivo Kadri Kapanen
Martin GOAT Grundstrom

Maybe switch Marleau and Leivo depending on matchups or chemistry.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I wonder if it might not be better to start letting Marner take some strong side faceoffs a la Nylander? Slowly easing into taking over for Bozak next year at 2C at least for 15-20 games.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Marner Brown
Leivo Kadri Kapanen
Martin GOAT Grundstrom

Maybe switch Marleau and Leivo depending on matchups or chemistry.

Marner isn't going to be a Center. Babcock has been pretty clear on it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would not be surprised to see one or both of Bozak and JVR resigned.
Bozak, possibly if he takes enough of a paycut which I doubt he'd be open to.
JVR, not a chance he's brought back.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Who replaces them? It’s not like they aren’t productive NHLers. Is now the time to step backwards?
How do you become a productive NHLer? Scratched every game or playing for the Marlies.
What are your plans for Leivo,Rychel,Johnsson,Grundstrom,Kapenen,Dermott,Lily,etc.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Never understood this phrase. Cats don't grow on trees but there are a lot of cats.
No for some reason we must replace 30 goals with exactly 1 person who can score 30 goals.
The team will implode if you replace them with 2 20 goal scorers. Or a 15 and 20. Plus kill penalties and forecheck.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
How do you become a productive NHLer? Scratched every game or playing for the Marlies.
What are your plans for Leivo,Rychel,Johnsson,Grundstrom,Kapenen,Dermott,Lily,etc.

Not everyone makes it. Babcock has been quite clear on that. You have to take jobs and be better than the player you replace.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Brand new account named "Minus Mitch" coming into a line combos thread the day after Mitch was demoted to the fourth line and stating Bozak and JVR will resign, completely off topic and obviously looking for a reaction, yeah nothing fishy about that.

I’m not looking for a reaction. Just posting my thoughts on why Babcock would make the change. I’m reading a lot of it being on a Bozak and/or JVR so I thought I’d chime in.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
..but are there a lot of cats that can score 30 goals?

If Bunny's can stop 30 goals... maybe cats can score them?

larocque821.jpg

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
No for some reason we must replace 30 goals with exactly 1 person who can score 30 goals.
The team will implode if you replace them with 2 20 goal scorers. Or a 15 and 20. Plus kill penalties and forecheck.

It would be good to have 2 and 3Cs that could kill penalties.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
I can only guess the next part of the equation - Marner should be traded for futures as not having to sign him will leave us room to fit JVR and Bozak in under the cap. And the code name for this master plan is "Minus Mitch". ;)

Marner is a good creative offensive player but let’s never confuse him with being able to play defense. He needs a center like O’Reilly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->