Prospect Info: Leafs Pick #125 - Dmytro Timashov - LW/RW - UKR 5' 9" 192 QMJHL

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Tima is sharing the team scoring lead on his team now with 7 points in 4 games of the playoffs. Actually though his 7 points are in the last 3 games.

Nice to see him contributing the way he should again.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Tima is sharing the team scoring lead on his team now with 7 points in 4 games of the playoffs. Actually though his 7 points are in the last 3 games.

Nice to see him contributing the way he should again.

I feel like it has to be about opportunity. I'm not sure how the Shawinigan coaching staff was managing him in the regular season but he must have been getting third line minutes or something... no other explanation for the lack of production in a player that talented.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I feel like it has to be about opportunity. I'm not sure how the Shawinigan coaching staff was managing him in the regular season but he must have been getting third line minutes or something... no other explanation for the lack of production in a player that talented.

It was a good trade bad trade for him. Good that he will likely go deep in the playoffs. Bad that he could be with the Marlies right now.

Something went sour there but atleast he is playing good again. Maybe he was screwed out of minutes I'm not sure.

They fired the coach there a little while ago. It was after timashov was traded there.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Timashov's team moves on to the next round. Tima lead the team in scoring in the first round with 2g and 7 assists in 5 games.

Tied for 4th in playoff scoring. Dzierkals team is also through in a 4 game sweep. Dzierkal team is likely likely going to be a memorial cup contender.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I don't think posters here realize Shawinigan struggled as a whole team after loading up at the trade deadline, it wasn't just Timashov. Nice to see him step it up in the playoffs.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'm surprised he is in top 10 in scoring in the playoffs.

I don't see his name as often since he moved.

He was however out protecting a one goal lead last night, and scored an empty netter.

Nice. Top 7 scoring i believe. Glad to see the playoffs got his competitive juices flowing again. He is scoring goals too. He went really dry in the goal scoring because of his propensity to set up plays.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
I'm surprised he is in top 10 in scoring in the playoffs.

I don't see his name as often since he moved.

He was however out protecting a one goal lead last night, and scored an empty netter.

I would have been more surprised if he wasn't top 10. not sure what happened after the trade but Timo shov is easily one of the top talents in the q

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I would have been more surprised if he wasn't top 10. not sure what happened after the trade but Timo shov is easily one of the top talents in the q

To many cooks? Did not the whole team get into a slump. Guess that can happen with so much talent arriving that changes everything.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Don't know why anyone thinks that the eliminated juniors are going to see playoff time with the Marlies.

The Marlies have earned that right to be in the playoffs and unless there are injuries, the juniors will be there for practice and the atmosphere of the AHL.

Last edited:

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
If they don't play Marner, should he be available at some point, then the organization just went dumb and dumber.

Mad Brills*

Marner isn't playing with the marlies unless the knights get swept.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Don't know why anyone thinks that the eliminated juniors are going to see playoff time with the Marlies.

The Marlies have earned that right to be in the playoffs and unless there are injuries, the juniors will be there for practice and the atmosphere of the AHL.

So you would sit a top 6 forward because he hasn't been there all year?

At playoff time you ice your best roster.

Marner would probably be the best or 2nd best forward on the Marlies right now. If he's there, he should play....and play a lot.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
So you would sit a top 6 forward because he hasn't been there all year?

At playoff time you ice your best roster.

Marner would probably be the best or 2nd best forward on the Marlies right now. If he's there, he should play....and play a lot.

I don't know what's so hard to understand about it. It's just like when a playoff team trades for cheap pending UFAs at the deadline and then don't use them because they weren't there the whole year.

:sarcasm:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't know what's so hard to understand about it. It's just like when a playoff team trades for cheap pending UFAs at the deadline and then don't use them because they weren't there the whole year.

:sarcasm:

Exactly, sorry to use a baseball reference but it's like when the Jays completely agreed with Gregg Zaun last year and didn't put Stroman in the playoff rotation because he's too short oops I mean he wasn't part of the group that earned it like Buehrle was :sarcasm:

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009

Let's take that logic a step beyond the junior players.

If the Marlies were actually going to put together a playoff roster using only guys who've "earned" a spot by putting in a lot of time with the Marlies this year, then obviously Connor Carrick's not going to be on the roster, right? He only played five games with the Marlies in the regular season. Same for Ben Smith.

Or how about Colin Smith and Tobias Lindberg? They barely spent a quarter of the season with the Marlies. Is that enough time to have earned a playoff roster spot? Can we assume that Bibeau's going to be the starter, since Sparks essentially didn't play for the Marlies for almost the entire second half of the season? Or maybe, instead of arbitrary considerations like "who's put in enough time with the Marlies to earn a spot", they'll ice the team that gives them the best chance to win. With additional consideration given to what's best for the development of the organization's prospects.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that a guy like Nielsen will play by default. Especially with Carrick's addition, the Marlies were already deep on defense even before Nielsen arrived, and the playoffs would be a tough circumstance for a junior defenseman to make his professional debut. But Marner's one of the best hockey prospects in the world. Him getting added to the Marlies lineup would be a foregone conclusion if they get the chance. Timashov, if everyone's healthy, I'm not as sure about. But if they thought he could help the team, I don't have any doubt he'd go in.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
The issue with any junior player (including Marner) joining the Marlies is their lack of a pro game, and experience playing against a pro game (and against playing adults). The playoffs are not an ideal time to match up against a line where every player is over 6'0" for the first time. Marner especially has developed some "bad habits" in junior, where he'll play double or triple shifts, and tries to make the fancy move over the effective one. The playoffs are not the right time to begin coaching those habits out of him.

There's also the issue of momentum. A great junior player might fit in well now if they can avoid the above issues, but once the Marlies start being successful in the playoffs you don't mess with the lineup. Wisniewski was being sat last year in favour of Stoner on Anaheim, because Anaheim won 8 of their first 9 games. The Knights won't be eliminated until the Marlies are done their first round.

I don't necessarily think that Marner won't get played on the Marlies, or that he shouldn't, just that it's far from a guarantee or the clear right move.

SingleAallStar

Nov 26, 2014
The leafs brass also likely understand how important it is that Marner gets used to a higher level then the OHL if he wants to play in the NHL full time next season.

Got to agree with the people saying that Marner is getting underrated in his AHL impact. Players like Nylander and Larkin went to the AHL in their draft +1 and were immediate successes. Even lesser players like Kapanen and that swedish fellow on LA.

Marner would be an elite scorer on the Marlies right now. And he will get minutes when available.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
dmytrotimashov-getty-images-e1451784456929.jpg

Here's to a great Leafs camp..!

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
So far so good for Timashov, I think he is going to stay in the juniors for another year, would be interesting to see how he adjust his game at NHL level

"2015 fifth-round pick Dmytro Timashov is having a great run for the Shawiningan Cataractes of the QMJHL. After putting up 22 goals and 85 points in 57 regular season games split between the Quebec Remparts and the Cataractes, Timashov has seven goals and 17 points in his first 11 games of the playoffs.
Timashov had two goals and assist in the Cataractes series clinching Game 6 victory over the Charlottetown Islanders, on Sunday afternoon, to advance to the QMJHL semi-finals" - Greg Boysen

A big achievement for a 5th rounder

Last edited:

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
@dcmahiban: #Leafs prospect Dmytro Timashov (2015 fifth-round pick) says he'll play in the #AHL with the #Marlies next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad