Prospect Info: Leafs Pick #125 - Dmytro Timashov - LW/RW - UKR 5' 9" 192 QMJHL

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
Seen DT play numerous times last season in the Q. As well as in a 6 game playoff series with the Islanders. Have to say I was very impressed with his style of play. Very physical for such a small dude, granted he was playing against younger and weaker talent then the AHL, but I was impressed none the less. Very high offensive upside for sure, constantly driving the play and battling down low. Also he is very adept at being an agitator, kind of a Marchand lite. Kadri, Sosh, and possibly DT all out there stirring the pot is just wonderful to think of.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Seen DT play numerous times last season in the Q. As well as in a 6 game playoff series with the Islanders. Have to say I was very impressed with his style of play. Very physical for such a small dude, granted he was playing against younger and weaker talent then the AHL, but I was impressed none the less. Very high offensive upside for sure, constantly driving the play and battling down low. Also he is very adept at being an agitator, kind of a Marchand lite. Kadri, Sosh, and possibly DT all out there stirring the pot is just wonderful to think of.

He's the kind of player you appreciate more after seeing 2-3 times in a short period of time I think.

I think after a solid AHL season he'll be knocking on the door for NHL minutes.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Timashov played really well in a variety of situations last night and the pass to Moore was typical of his vision. Keefe and Co. will work on his 200 ft game. Can't wait to him in another year after an AHL season of development.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
This article is from last year but it should be reviewed again.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/07/26/one-eyed-toronto-maple-leafs-reporter-is-king/

For starters, let’s make sure to dampen any unnecessary hype here. The Mysteron – while very good – still clearly ranks below the dominant young talents out of Swedish Junior: The Sedins, Kopitar and Nylander all scored 50% faster, for example.

But he did actually produce as well or better than Gustav Nyquist, Andre Burakovsky, Victor Rask, Carl Hagelin, the four other first rounders, and the 2015 draft’s top pick from Sweden, Joel Eriksson Ek.

He appears to be a much more capable scorer than Kruger, Fast, de la Rose and others, given that he’s scoring twice as often.

Which is probably not a bad summary of this first perspective:

As a scorer, Nitro is a clear notch below Nylander and other top talents like Backstrom, the Sedins, and Kopitar. But he’s right in the mix with all the other 1st round picks from Swedish Junior over this last decade, and in particular, with the top-notch talents picked in 2014.

“A hard worker, (he) immediately gelled with his teammates and has been a fun guy to have in the dressing room. (The Rock)’s coach says, ‘Sometimes you want to be patient with import players and give them a month, month and a half to adjust. He adjusted on Day One and his personality made him do that.’

5th: Now, maybe it’s because this kid has always been an outsider and had to learn how to play with others, and learn to speak their language. Whatever the cause, he turns out to have a knack for sharing the puck.

In other words, he collects assists like candy.

More assists than Timo Meier or Evgeni Svechnikov or Anthony Beauvillier – all first round picks in 2015. He also did pretty well when compared to other great playmakers from the Q in their draft years, with more assists and a faster pace than:

Claude Giroux. Jakub Vorachek. Nik Ehlers. Mikhail Grigorenko. Jonathan Huberdeau. Nathan MacKinnon.

In fact, the last draft age kid in the Q to get more assists than our Russian Rock was…

Sidney Crosby.

That’s a seriously world-class level of playmaking ability.
6th: Now, I know what you’re thinking. Okay, wait. Actually, no, I don’t. Because I’m not a g*ddamn mind-reader, okay? Still, I’ll bet some of you think this is just another kid from the Q that racks up a million power-play points, but can’t play worth a damn at five on five.

Well, here are his 5v5 numbers against the draft picks from the Q this year — Svechnikov, Timo Meier, and the rest.2015 q
2015-q.png

BODY SLAM!

Yeah, that’s a pretty dominating performance.

This kid scored better at five on five than every draft age kid out of the Q this year, and in many cases, waaaay better. As in, 50% better.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I should add that the author of that article thinks the leafs drafted Timashov to play with Nylander.
Timashov Nylander Johnsson
That will be a filthy line in the not too distant future.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I should add that the author of that article thinks the leafs drafted Timashov to play with Nylander.
Timashov Nylander Johnsson
That will be a filthy line in the not too distant future.

Swedes and Maple Leafs is part of our long heritage and go hand in hand. I always watch Tima closely and will continue this year. Could he surprise and be our first call up or flat out make the team?

It wouldn't surprise me alot.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Outside of Matthews, Marner and Nylander, Timashov is the best pure passer in the system.

He needs a couple seasons with the Marlies. He needs to get stronger and improve on being less of a perimeter player but he's got terrific puck skills.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
If Marner is not ready, perhaps Timashov can get a spot.
Makes you wonder. I think Timashov is ready. While getting knocked off the puck is an issue, his elusive stickhandling is what he's about. His acceleration will make him fit right in and right now building up experience is all that matters.

Honestly, I can see us having three offensive lines in the future. JVR-Matthews as one pair, Kadri-Marner as another, and Timashov-Nylander as the third.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Timashov and Dzerks are dark horses to make the team this year. Nobody expected them to but danm do they always impress in these camps.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Yep. And if not this year, next year

That 2015 draft class is looking to be organizational defining for the Leafs

Even if you take out Marner, it still has the potential to be the 4th best draft class in the last 10 years. If you add Marner, oh boy

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Bracco/Dzierkals/Timashov/Nielsen and Dermott are all likely NHL players

Getting 6 players from the draft is nuts.

And we won't know about Lindgren, Korostolev or Desrocher a few years yet

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yep. And if not this year, next year

That 2015 draft class is looking to be organizational defining for the Leafs

The 2015 itself was considered the best in 10 years on talent which means numerous players for all teams will come out.

It will be judged on strength against itself and its results.

GLOO

Jul 8, 2010
Timashov and Dzerks are dark horses to make the team this year. Nobody expected them to but danm do they always impress in these camps.

I honestly thought the Dzerks was maybe the most impressive player in the rookie games. He looks fast, determined and dangerous. IMO I think he might be just as impressive as DT. His larger size and ability to stay on his feet might get him a better shot at handling the NHL. I was really impressed with his forecheck!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPEpB09sK0k

At 0:50 of the clip he totally dekes the pants off the dman trying to hem him in from rushing and brings it down for odd man rush. Then when the shot misses he retrieves the puck and feeds it back to the point for an assist on the goal. All manufuctured by his speed, skill and determination

At 1:30 of the junior Canadiens game he raced in and used his body to separate the puck from the surprised D man and created a great scoring chance.

This guy will be NHL ready in a year once he puts on another 10 pounds of muscle. Or at least an important part of the Marlies (if he can`t be already).

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Martins Dzierkals is arguably the most underrated player in the organization.

I asked a Latvian hockey writer about young Latvian hockey players and he said that Dzierkals was considered a better hockey player than Zemgus Girgensons.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Martins Dzierkals is arguably the most underrated player in the organization.

I asked a Latvian hockey writer about young Latvian hockey players and he said that Dzierkals was considered a better hockey player than Zemgus Girgensons.

Wow! That is awesome. I was very happy with the pick, once I read articles and watched video on him.

Expecting big things from him in the future.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Wow! That is awesome. I was very happy with the pick, once I read articles and watched video on him.

Expecting big things from him in the future.

Martins Dzierkals is considered the best young hockey player from Latvia.

Maybe the best NHL prospect ever from Latvia.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Really? When i see his body i think of the hulk. And his daddy is a wrestling trainer.
Russians do have a more compact body, but at his height, that'll always be an issue. His center of gravity is low, but I'd say he depends a lot more on his elusiveness than actually partaking in physical puck battles.

Naturally, as he develops further with age, this will be a non-issue. He sort of reminds me of Martin St Louis.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Soooo ... Timashov not off to a great start with the Marlies? (1G 1A in 10 games)
Any thoughts on the kid?

Struck me as a great playmaker but very average skater?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad