Leafs or Habs who is the current favorite to win the North

Who is the Current favorite to win North?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
To answer this question, Toronto is the better team and will win the north.
My prediction for the division:
1. Toronto
2. Edmonton
3. Calgary
4. Montreal
5. Winnipeg
6. Vancouver
7. Ottawa

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Leafs on pace for a normal season point total of 123 points.:tinker:

Best team in Leaf franchise history managed a measly 105 points.

Cinderella Leafs often start hot. Then midnight strikes, reality returns and they're back to the usual mediocrity.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
So much less confident right now lol
wasnt it just like 2 days ago you were saying Montreal was gonna smash Toronto and you wanted the playoff matchup?

1st off why say it in the 1st place, 2nd of all why should 1 game change your expectations?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
wasnt it just like 2 days ago you were saying Montreal was gonna smash Toronto and you wanted the playoff matchup?

1st off why say it in the 1st place, 2nd of all why should 1 game change your expectations?

Because Montreal was murdering fools left and right, and because the Habs are absolutly not playing good right now

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Because Montreal was murdering fools left and right, and because the Habs are absolutly not playing good right now
i get being happy your team is doing well but everyone knows that was premature. talking the talk was warranted but i was kinda cringing at all the talk directed towards Toronto. they played eachother once and Montreal lost.

however even if they arent playing well rn its 1 game.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Leafs on pace for a normal season point total of 123 points.:tinker:

Best team in Leaf franchise history managed a measly 105 points.

Cinderella Leafs often start hot. Then midnight strikes, reality returns and they're back to the usual mediocrity.

How does 1 season effect the next ? Because they didn't win before it means they're destined to lose forever ? Ray Bourque never won until his last year, Ovi never won until a few years ago. You're always a loser until you're a winner, but previous seasons don't determine this seasons outcome.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How does 1 season effect the next ? Because they didn't win before it means they're destined to lose forever ? Ray Bourque never won until his last year, Ovi never won until a few years ago. You're always a loser until you're a winner, but previous seasons don't determine this seasons outcome.

It doesn't. Other than wishful/pessimistic thinking

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I would think that Habs fans would be more skeptical of the start after both the 2015 and 2016 starts.

Yes, I'm not buying it quite yet. Too early in the season. I'm also worried that we might be feasting on weaker Canadian teams. When reality sets in during the playoffs, we'll be playing against those loaded American teams eventually.

A few nice things though:

1. Size - finally the team isn't smaller than average, so this could help in the playoffs
2. Team Chemistry - except for Mete I guess
3. Balanced Scoring - obviously you're tougher to shut down than a one line team
4. The Emergence of Young Talent - still no McDavid or MacKinnon types here, but things are looking up

Reactions: wintersej

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006

The best predictor of future outcomes is always past occurrences.

Yes, occasionally, there's a Bourque. Maybe some elementary school janitor wins the lotto somewhere and elevates herself into multi-millionaire status.

Those are exceptions to the norms.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006

Ray Bourque also needed to leave Boston to become a winner...and he was a hockey icon. The Leafs are more like Chris Bourque and less like Ray Bourque.

Ovie and the Caps? The Caps have won how many regular season Presidents Trophies in recent years? Three? Again, today's Leafs don't compare at all to Washington and Ovie.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The best predictor of future outcomes is always past occurrences.

Yes, occasionally, there's a Bourque. Maybe some elementary school janitor wins the lotto somewhere and elevates herself into multi-millionaire status.

Those are exceptions to the norms.

In context yes. If you're comparing this team to the results Pre-2016 it doesn't make any sense. You can use the past 5 seasons somewhat, this team has absolutely nothing to do with the Leafs teams of the Kessel/Sundin/Gilmour eras. So if you're using those years results to predict this years results, it's absolutely irrelevant. Also can't ignore that the new core players have only gotten better every year.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
No offence to the reasonable fans, but the hot takes/chest thumping from a select few habs fans/leaf haters are getting ridiculous.

As a leaf fan I’m okay with the start, not perfect, but like others have said the season is very young still and everyone has a chance to make the playoffs except Ottawa (sorry Ottawa your time will come).

I guess chest thumping from leaf homers doesn't bother you though rofl

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
i get being happy your team is doing well but everyone knows that was premature. talking the talk was warranted but i was kinda cringing at all the talk directed towards Toronto. they played eachother once and Montreal lost.

however even if they arent playing well rn its 1 game.

These types of condescending leafs posts happen every year and every year the come back to bite. I don't see a contender in the leafs D and G.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
In context yes. If you're comparing this team to the results Pre-2016 it doesn't make any sense. You can use the past 5 seasons somewhat, this team has absolutely nothing to do with the Leafs teams of the Kessel/Sundin/Gilmour eras. So if you're using those years results to predict this years results, it's absolutely irrelevant. Also can't ignore that the new core players have only gotten better every year.

Except that we're not just talking of the on-ice personnel when talking of the major influencers and policymakers within a team. We're also talking of off-ice decision makers...and the greater Leaf organization such as the MLSE has been puppeteering the Leafs for decades.

So, yes, extended past performance may be relevant.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
The 1st in the North will depend on the matchup between these two. Both team are terrific and their way.

I feel like habs could win more game against Leafs, but the Leafs have so much offense power, they can always come back and steal game. It will be very very close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad