Leafs or Habs who is the current favorite to win the North

Who is the Current favorite to win North?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Voting for the Habs, because of course I'll vote for the Habs.

Still think we have a better team tho.

Weber and Petry are better than anything the Leafs have in defense, Price > Andersen and while Matthews, Tavares and Marner are better than every forwards on the Habs, the sum of the parts are better with the Habs. And who knows what's Suzuki's ceiling? He's no Matthews, but the kid's legit af.

Reactions: hardcorehabs

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
No offence to the reasonable fans, but the hot takes/chest thumping from a select few habs fans/leaf haters are getting ridiculous.

As a leaf fan I’m okay with the start, not perfect, but like others have said the season is very young still and everyone has a chance to make the playoffs except Ottawa (sorry Ottawa your time will come).

Reactions: leafsfan5

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Leafs can have the reg season division if they want, the better 5on5 team of the two will have more success in the playoffs so not really worried about them

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Montreal clearly the class of a bad division and only real threat for a cup. The worst team in the league (Ottawa) followed by the 4 western teams which likely sit between 15th and 23 in the entire NHL then the leafs who probably slot in around 10th OA.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Leafs can have the reg season division if they want, the better 5on5 team of the two will have more success in the playoffs so not really worried about them
Leafs have been one of the better 5v5 teams in scoring the past 3 years -- not sure if 10 games really voids that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leafs have been one of the better 5v5 teams in scoring the past 3 years -- not sure if 10 games really voids that.
Scoring is only half the equation for 5v5 play in hockey, defence should also be considered. The Leafs are also bottom 10 in GA 5v5 that last 3 years including this season. High event hockey in the playoffs is rarely a successful formula is it?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Scoring is only half the equation for 5v5 play in hockey, defence should also be considered. The Leafs are also bottom 10 in GA 5v5 that last 3 years including this season. High event hockey in the playoffs is rarely a successful formula is it?
Habs have a worst 5v5 differential the past 3 years.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Typical Leafs fan thread. Their team is a flash in a pan that'll be 4th and barely make the playoffs by the time the seasons over. It'll be Jets > Habs > Flames > Laughs in that order. Maybe even Nucks instead.
You are right. it is very common in Leaf based threads for people to make desperate irrational statements hoping for the worst...kind of like your post. We also find people trying to stereotype us as some sort of inferior type of fan but you know, those guys are a bit insane.....

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

17/18-20/21 5v5
Leafs GF 571 GA 501 diff +70
Habs GF 488 GA 475 diff + 13

GP 244 ~ 3 seasons

Last edited:
Reactions: The Podium

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Its close ,Montreal is the deeper all around team...But that top 6 of Toronto if it decides to play can beat any team ...Its between them really... The rest really arent there...

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Leafs have a higher ceiling, but it's hard to argue against what the Habs are doing. They're doing the right things and reaping the benefits of it.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
That's not what you posted originally. BTW you are incorrect. They are actually tied in 5v5 goal differential the past 3 years counting 18-19, 19-21, and 20-21. +41.

18-19 to 20-21.
Montreal 358-317=41
Toronto 384-343=41
NHL Stats
My mistake, yet to have my morning coffee. You're correct they are tied. Still a tad early to deem Montreal some 5v5 powerhouse after 10 games, while Toronto not.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I think the leafs have the better top end and the habs have the better depth. I think the leafs are the favourites, to win the division since they've been the better regular season team over the past 3-4 years.

With that being said, I am impressed by the habs start this season. Which makes me feel sick lol

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's early, there is still a long way to go this season. I do like what I have seen with the Habs chemistry this year, their depth in scoring(not relying on just 3 or 4 scorers) and their Goaltending are strong points, underrated D with the addition of Romanov. The Leafs have more high end, high profile skill players. They also have improved on the blue line without Ceci and Barrie this year. I would also not count out the Jets, not a fan of Maurice, but they have the Vezina winner, and Dubois still has yet to suit up. The D is their weakspot. If Chevy can shore this up. It's really anyone's division. It's a fun division if you are looking for scoring in your games. But playoffs teams tighten up, it will be interesting which team can lower their GA. This may be the difference in this division.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Montreal and Toronto are over rated

I agree.

f*** guys this is ten games in. Give it a rest and hold off on the dick measuring contest. Tbh, I wouldn't feel confident with either team. I picked the Habs but they're merely slightly above average in a mediocre division. Ten more games into this season I'll probably change my answer to another team. That's how these things go. I sure as hell wouldn't limit it to Toronto and Montreal, that's for sure.

Reactions: Redwingsfan

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Voting for the Habs, because of course I'll vote for the Habs.

Still think we have a better team tho.

Weber and Petry are better than anything the Leafs have in defense, Price > Andersen and while Matthews, Tavares and Marner are better than every forwards on the Habs, the sum of the parts are better with the Habs. And who knows what's Suzuki's ceiling? He's no Matthews, but the kid's legit af.
I pretty much agree with all of that, but I think Reilly brings a skill set on defence that places him around the same tier as Petry and Weber. Reilly is an excellent skating and puck moving defencemen. (unless you were referring to Weber and Petry as a tandem, which I would then agree with)

Reactions: Bouboumaster

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Leafs will win the division for the regular season. Montreal will win the division in the playoffs.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Arrogance, delusional. Its comments like that which make discussions toxic because its utter foolishness. You talk as if the 2021 Habs are the 2002 Red Wings. Habs should absolutely be worried about the Leafs elite skill, it is a strength of theirs that can only be matched by a few teams in the entire league. The Habs have strengths that would worry the Leafs as well (depth, goaltending). If they were to meet it would be competitive I can guarantee you that

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Arrogance, delusional. Its comments like that which make discussions toxic because its utter foolishness. You talk as if the 2021 Habs are the 2002 Red Wings. Habs should absolutely be worried about the Leafs elite skill, it is a strength of theirs that can only be matched by a few teams in the entire league. The Habs have strengths that would worry the Leafs as well (depth, goaltending). If they were to meet it would be competitive I can guarantee you that
Your team stinks it's not a big deal dude

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
My mistake, yet to have my morning coffee. You're correct they are tied. Still a tad early to deem Montreal some 5v5 powerhouse after 10 games, while Toronto not.
Happy to see an adult not being afraid to admit that he made an honest mistake.

:booboo:

A tip of the hat (let me find mine - it may take a while :wally: ) to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad