Speculation: Leafs open to moving 1st rd pick

MattyNew91

Jul 5, 2018
A top prospect a good 1 I might add, a 1st and a young player with term at a good cap hit that can play top 6. Should be close to getting a guy like a Josh Manson.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattyNew91

Jul 5, 2018
Umm.. Johnson, Liljegren, and 21 1st doesn’t get you a 2/3 Dman. Liljegren isn’t ED exempt.

Really a 1st a top prospect and a young top 6 with term. If not then not sure how much more it would cost. A guy like manson should be that.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Keep the pick - select Schneider.

Find a taker for Johnsson to create more space.

probably whats gonna happen

they will sign brodie/tanev/hamonic with the space

if they really are in on AP then kerfoot will have to go as well and maybe one of dermott/holl

Reactions: qqaz

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
They should be able to pick up a pretty good dman for that pick.
Yup. Schneider seems to be the consensus. Whether hes there by our pick, who knows. But the guy is almost NHL ready, a RHD and would give us plenty of cheap years on his ELC. As much as I want to win now, you need those young, cheap players for the future when guys like Rielly and Hyman are close to being free agents.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
If they want a Low cap option with huge potential, and a good backup behind freddie encase he struggles.
Demko makes a ton of sense for a mid 1st.

Drafted early 2nd rounder, Developed basically perfectly.
Went through some hardships and some incredible standing on his head moments, seems like a perfect target.

Would give the Leafs a solid Back up who is a future #1.

Update: Never mind, forgot they got Jack Campbell last year

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I would look at a package of Liljegren+2021 1st to start and maybe if need be add in Johnsson to get that top pairing dman to play with Rielly. This draft is too good I feel to trade this pick. I dont see how that package wouldn't get what we needed.

I would think the team that has that top pairing dman could get a better package than that.

MattyNew91

Jul 5, 2018
I would think the team that has that top pairing dman could get a better package than that.

Then I guess we will be signing a guy then. Because if we are trading for a guy I'm pretty sure thats roughly a package we would have to put together. Maybe it's dermott instead of 1 of those assets. But I feel that if we look for a dman via trade its not far off as we would get a muzzin type guy who isn't a top pair but could play there if he had the right partner and he cost us a 1st grundstrom plus durzi.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Not going to debate the validity to that package but Liljegren is expansion exempt

I don't think that's accurate. Next season will be his 4th season of pro hockey.

NHL and AHL counts and there's no exemption for slide years that's why Ryan Pulock wasn't exempt from the Vegas expansion draft.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If they want a Low cap option with huge potential, and a good backup behind freddie encase he struggles.
Demko makes a ton of sense for a mid 1st.

Drafted early 2nd rounder, Developed basically perfectly.
Went through some hardships and some incredible standing on his head moments, seems like a perfect target.

Would give the Leafs a solid Back up who is a future #1.

Update: Never mind, forgot they got Jack Campbell last year
If the Canucks sign Marky I could for sure see this trade happening. Coming season will be a condescend schedule; teams will need two goalies. Leafs backups have been terrible recently. Demko costs only 1 million on the cap. Benning was reported as saying he has trades lined up, and is just waiting on Marky’s signing to pull the trigger. Demko to Leafs for 20OA is very likely one of them.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I think unless the Leafs get a defenseman for that pick that helps them right away they would be stupid to trade a cost controlled player. You don’t need another forward. That’s not the problem.
Someone like Manson or Severson but I don’t think NJ gives up Severson for just the 15th as the need to be blown away with an offer as then their defense is even worse and Severson is on a good contract.
If NJ can retain some salary I can see toronto to pay up. There are UFAs available but Toronto would have to pay up financially as well.
Severson pay up with futures or UFA pay up with cap space they don’t have. Tough call.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
What’s the best RHD you could get for a mid 1st pick. Or deal Anderson and bring in a young goaltender with potential for that pick.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I don't think that's accurate. Next season will be his 4th season of pro hockey.

NHL and AHL counts and there's no exemption for slide years that's why Ryan Pulock wasn't exempt from the Vegas expansion draft.

AHL season's only count if you are 20, or older, on December 31st of the year the season starts.

Pulock turned 20 on October 6th of 2014 so his 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17 seasons all counted. Not exempt.

Mantha is another example.

Liljegren turned 20 on April 30th 2019, so only his 2019/20 and 2020/21 seasons will count. Exempt.

Cal Foote, drafted 3 spots ahead of Liljegren, has a December birthday and he will need to be protected. He started playing in the AHL a year after Liljegren - but that first season of Foote's counts because he was 20 by December 31 of that year, whereas that same season doesn't count for Liljegren despite it being his second season in the AHL.

Essentially if you would have been forced to play in the CHL instead of the AHL during your D+2 season (if you were Canadian) then your D+2 in the AHL doesn't count (Liljegren). But if you were eligible to play in the AHL during your D+2 (if you were Canadian) and did play in the AHL (assuming you played enough games) then you are not exempt (Pulock, Mantha).

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I think it's unlikely they move the first. The draft is before free agency where leafs will have a better understanding of where they are..

Draft should have been after free agency for interest levels alone

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Then I guess we will be signing a guy then. Because if we are trading for a guy I'm pretty sure thats roughly a package we would have to put together. Maybe it's dermott instead of 1 of those assets. But I feel that if we look for a dman via trade its not far off as we would get a muzzin type guy who isn't a top pair but could play there if he had the right partner and he cost us a 1st grundstrom plus durzi.

My line of thinking was the price would be steeper because he’s a top 2 dman, but more importantly, he’s a right-handed dman, which I thought would cost a little bit more.
However, I could be wrong.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Manson (20% retained, 3.28M cap hit)
Kesler (LTIR - costs 1.375M after insurance)

for

Liljegren + 15th

After retention and dumping Kesler, Anaheim saves about 1.11M in real dollars compared to just selling Manson at full price and keeping Kesler. Toronto gets Manson for 820k less per season, by spending 1.375M in real dollars.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Manson (20% retained, 3.28M cap hit)
Kesler (LTIR - costs 1.375M after insurance)

for

Liljegren + 15th

After retention and dumping Kesler, Anaheim saves about 1.11M in real dollars compared to just selling Manson at full price and keeping Kesler. Toronto gets Manson for 820k less per season, by spending 1.375M in real dollars.

Manson is 2 seasons from UFA. I don’t think he’s worth that return.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If the Canucks sign Marky I could for sure see this trade happening. Coming season will be a condescend schedule; teams will need two goalies. Leafs backups have been terrible recently. Demko costs only 1 million on the cap. Benning was reported as saying he has trades lined up, and is just waiting on Marky’s signing to pull the trigger. Demko to Leafs for 20OA is very likely one of them.

I guarantee Benning does not have a Demko to the Leafs trade lined up for 20th overall because Toronto has the 15th pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad