Leafs Management Thread: Shanaplan in full effect

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
The legacy of making the leafs a perrenial contender and purhaps a champion will be the icing on these guys careers.

They know there isno easy fix..they know how to win.

I guess my sarcasm wasn't evident. I know the attraction is part of building what was once a hockey disaster into a perennial Stanley Cup competitor.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
That's because it's a statement of the obvious. Nobody in their right mind ever thought Babcock would try to lose a game.

Yup & Shanahan basically said he went out to get the best coach so the players could learn to play the right way, right away.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yup & Shanahan basically said he went out to get the best coach so the players could learn to play the right way, right away.

exactly.
but it doesn't matter that Shanahan said it, so I'm glad Lamoriello is speaking up, so we're all clear. Babcock is going to coach to win. I'm not sure if everyone knew that, but now that we do..we should be okay, right?

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
exactly.
but it doesn't matter that Shanahan said it, so I'm glad Lamoriello is speaking up, so we're all clear. Babcock is going to coach to win. I'm not sure if everyone knew that, but now that we do..we should be okay, right?

Right!

& just to add a quote to help an individual or two stay in the real world.

Feschuk: You say you hate the word rebuilding. How would you describe what the Leafs are doing right now?

Lamoriello: I think it’s rebuilding, but I do hate the word. I’m not going to apologize for it because I think we’re in this business to win, we’re in this business to win every night. Right now, we do have a plan to grow a little slower and not get teased by any immediate success here or there. I believe that the fans, from all the people I’ve talked to, want this build so that we can make those long runs that you’ve seen certain organizations make. I bought into that, I feel very comfortable with it, and as I’ve said I’m excited about it.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
and that means, to me - that regardless of what this team does next year - it's not going to change the direction of the team, nor does it mean they won't get shipped off or anything. some might stay and be used as insulation or what not, but goal #1 is to still stay on the path that we are on. which is slow development and installation of Toronto Maple Leaf standards (whatever they may be). - create a programme that we always, constantly have enough talent (so when it's time to trade one or two of them, it doesn't automatically cripple our organization) - push for a cup every year.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
lol, Leafs must have woken up Monday morning and realized most of the office was still empty

:sarcasm:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
and that means, to me - that regardless of what this team does next year - it's not going to change the direction of the team, nor does it mean they won't get shipped off or anything. some might stay and be used as insulation or what not, but goal #1 is to still stay on the path that we are on. which is slow development and installation of Toronto Maple Leaf standards (whatever they may be). - create a programme that we always, constantly have enough talent (so when it's time to trade one or two of them, it doesn't automatically cripple our organization) - push for a cup every year.

well I have to give you credit DJ

you did a lot to drag me from my 50/50 belief on what the shanny plan truly was.

I'm still stuck at the 85% belief mark ,atm

this TD will be the most telling to me, IF they are just in or sniffing a wild card spot.

still on the fence about how they would treat that.

if they sell their UFAs then I'm 100% sold , if they don't

if they try to pull a dave nonis "own rental" BS , no matter what they say, no matter what excuses or BS justifications they come up with

it will all revert back to , nothing has philosophically changed around here.

"just make the playoffs" will be reborn anew.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Small front office signings aside.

Here was an interesting quote from Babcock arguably our biggest Mgt hire this summer in the Sun yesterday on his expectations this season.

“We want to be a team that comes to training camp well-prepared,” he said. “We want to establish a structure and a strong work ethic. We’re going to build that through the exhibition schedule. We want to be a team that gets better every day. That’s my expectation. Are there going to be ups and downs? There always are. But to me, we are going to be very process-oriented and try to get better.

“As far as how we handle ourselves off the ice, it’s going to be about how we handle ourselves period. And to that end, we’re going to be pros.

“What does a pro do? I think a lot of people on the outside think a pro is someone who gets a salary, gets paid. To me, that has nothing to do with it. To me, a pro is someone who lives it. You sleep it. You eat it. You train it. You lift it. You practise it. To me, when you do that, you don’t get in your own way and you give yourself the best chance to be the best you can be.

I know Rielly will do well under Babcock with this new pro mantra, others? We shall see.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
well I have to give you credit DJ

you did a lot to drag me from my 50/50 belief on what the shanny plan truly was.

I'm still stuck at the 85% belief mark ,atm

this TD will be the most telling to me, IF they are just in or sniffing a wild card spot.

still on the fence about how they would treat that.

if they sell their UFAs then I'm 100% sold , if they don't

if they try to pull a dave nonis "own rental" BS , no matter what they say, no matter what excuses or BS justifications they come up with

it will all revert back to , nothing has philosophically changed around here.

"just make the playoffs" will be reborn anew.

i am under the impression they'll do the best they can. 1/3rd of the roster has a contract this year, 1/3rd has their contracts end next year, and I think a few have a 3 year one. I do feel a lot of people will be auditioning to be part of the Leafs past the 2-3 year mark (say a Winnik or someone). some people will be better from out people. As well as we have seen - people actually have to want our players.

hearing Lamoriello fully admit we're in a rebuild gives hope they won't do stupid things, and do their best to improve our team the way we've wanted for a long while now :)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Globe and Mail, fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs rejoiced this week when team owners dropped plans for radio broadcasters Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph to call road games off a television monitor in a Toronto studio. But behind the scenes, the simmering issue affecting travel policy still has the potential to boil over.

Senior managers at both Bell and Rogers are unhappy with Lou Lamoriello’s policy of restricting Toronto Maple Leafs charter flights to players, coaches and team executives, and forcing the radio and television broadcasters to take commercial flights instead of travelling with the team.

If the fight spreads to the MLSE board, it could get uncomfortable. Toronto Maple Leafs President Brendan Shanahan and GM Lou Lamoriello have enormous political clout at the moment. But Bell Canada Enterprise Inc. CEO George Cope did not hesitate to fire Brian Burke as Leafs GM when he didn’t like his blustery ways, and he has been known to be less than deferential to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. Rogers Communications Inc. President and Chief Executive Officer Guy Laurence is no warm and fuzzy type, either.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...s-final-turbulence-in-toronto/article26595356

The owners are all in favour of a culture change driven by Shanahan, Lamoriello and head coach Mike Babcock. Up to a point. They believe it was all well and good for Lamoriello to operate the Devils much the same way he ran the sports programs at Providence College before that. But the Devils, despite all their success under Lamoriello, were not owned by two massive media companies, and their tickets were never the hardest to get in a rich, hockey-crazed market.

Which is where a compromise over outsiders on the team charter comes in. Despite owning the Leafs, Rogers and Bell operate their empires as separate companies. Each division, radio or television, is expected to generate advertising and other revenue, and pay its share of the overall broadcast costs. And each has its own budget.

So when both companies discovered the day before Leafs training camp opened that its broadcasters were booted off the charter, there was great unhappiness. The extra travel costs for radio and television personnel add up to an estimated $500,000 for the regular season, split between Rogers and Bell.

Compared with the overall production costs and rights fees, travel expenses are a relatively small amount. But both companies have to be cost-conscious in the highly competitive communications industry.

To the aggrieved executives, it might just be $500,000, but there was an obvious solution: Let the broadcasters ride on the Leafs charter. This gets them to and from the games refreshed without any 6 a.m. commercial flights and with a minimum of hotel stays. And the plane is big enough to keep them away from the players. Besides, all other NHL teams except the Devils let team broadcasters on their charters.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Compared with the overall production costs and rights fees, travel expenses are a relatively small amount. But both companies have to be cost-conscious in the highly competitive communications industry.

Oh boo hoo poor Rogers and Bell. How will they possibly make it?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If the fight spreads to the MLSE board, it could get uncomfortable. Toronto Maple Leafs President Brendan Shanahan and GM Lou Lamoriello have enormous political clout at the moment. But Bell Canada Enterprise Inc. CEO George Cope did not hesitate to fire Brian Burke as Leafs GM when he didn’t like his blustery ways, and he has been known to be less than deferential to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. Rogers Communications Inc. President and Chief Executive Officer Guy Laurence is no warm and fuzzy type, either.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...s-final-turbulence-in-toronto/article26595356

Like any soulless corporate shark, these guys are "on board" as long as their wallets are still filling. There is no autonomy in Leaf land...ever. The season hadn't even started yet. Wait until the cut in viewer shares start hitting them during the Jays post season. Gonna be ugly.

Lion15

Apr 18, 2015
Kawartha Lakes
Right!

& just to add a quote to help an individual or two stay in the real world.

Ya its gonna be a bad couple of years. Ya sure Babcock is gonna try and win, but you can't make chicken salad without the chicken. Expecting 3rd line guys to all of a sudden start producing at higher levels is dumb. This team will be starved for goals; expect a lot of 1-2 goal games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad