Mississauga
Leafs Management Chart

No4O7pU.jpg

Via theleafsnation.com

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
SeaofBlue was saying maybe Director of Pro Scouting?

the thread closed up - but I have to say I 100 percent of what dimi had to say in regards to Dubas/experience.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Actually, I don't know what to make of Dimi's post because it is all over the place.

But Dubas is a moot point because I don't believe Shanny is planning on naming him GM in the near future. As an AGM, that's fine. Actually, Dubas is a great asset as an AGM.

Sean Burke is an intriguing name, and if management feels he is the guy, I'd be all for it.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
i'm kinda surprised we didn't go for Futa. he's a Toronto guy and thought he would be perfect for the job.

wonder why shanny didn't go for him.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i'm kinda surprised we didn't go for Futa. he's a Toronto guy and thought he would be perfect for the job.

well. that's the thing. we were going for him (I think our guy was Gorton and that didn't go anywhere). the Futa thing died down drastically around the time the Mike Richards thing blew up. Maybe he just felt like staying around for stuff? I don't know.

Like all reports were all like He + McPhee were basically told what was going on in Toronto and they were all okay with decisions that Shanahan was making, so....

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto

We did. Lombardi wouldnt grant permission to speak with him. Haven't heard anything since the draft so who knows, maybe they took another shot and Futa decided to stay put.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He was my pick as well. Was he interviewed at all? It could be a case where they didn't see him as a good fit.

Seems like Futa is more of a size is important type thinker. Maybe the Leafs don't agree with that kind of game.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I'd be happy with Burke as the GM. He knows hockey, he knows players, and he knows everyone in management on other teams. In the situation that is presenting itself with management and it's structure, he'd be a great asset to have

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If this is a rule where does it come from?

It comes from any coaching / executive contract in the NHL I believe. You can't just approach other coaches and execs about a job when they are under contract. You have to ask permission from the club first and they have right to deny.

Also in the latest CBA, clubs can now request draft picks in exchange for eventual hirings as a result of allowing clubs to speak to coaches / management under contract.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What does Sean Burke really even bring to the table that we don't already have?

How would anyone know?

Seems like he's a smart guy and he's seen as a good future exec in the NHL. Nobody knows him around here and he doesn't have a long track record, so there's not much to go on.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
@markhmasters: Leafs hire Steve Briere as goalie coach and Ari Vuori as director of European scouting

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
It comes from any coaching / executive contract in the NHL I believe. You can't just approach other coaches and execs about a job when they are under contract. You have to ask permission from the club first and they have right to deny.

Also in the latest CBA, clubs can now request draft picks in exchange for eventual hirings as a result of allowing clubs to speak to coaches / management under contract.

I understand the compensation with picks when hiring someone under contract. But why shouldn't it be allowed to negotiate for a future contract which starts after the current contract is expired. This should be different to the signing period of players.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
I think its kinda been forgotten around here... But we're receiving a 3rd from Anaheim for Nonis right? I haven't heard anything about Toronto formally requesting the pick, in the Babcock signing there was a lot of talk about it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think its kinda been forgotten around here... But we're receiving a 3rd from Anaheim for Nonis right? I haven't heard anything about Toronto formally requesting the pick, in the Babcock signing there was a lot of talk about it.

No. Management compensation only works for GM and coaches (and President I believe). You do not receive compensation if someone goes to another team for any other role.

In the case of Nonis, he's only an advisor.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
On Shanamanagement:

I'm pretty sure that a more experienced negotiator could've netted us a better return for Kessel, despite the lack of dance partners.

On Shanaplan:

I like the direction that this organization is taking, particularly in having strong local ties to a Junior-tier team in the Knights via Mark Hunter. Even though they won't obviously control which Knights get drafted by the Leafs, there's always the possibility of trades or at the very least, having intimate knowledge of potential targets (via trade ala Harrington or draft, ala Marner) from a very young age has to give them a long-term strategic advantage over other teams that rely solely on their scouts.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I'd be happy with Burke as the GM. He knows hockey, he knows players, and he knows everyone in management on other teams. In the situation that is presenting itself with management and it's structure, he'd be a great asset to have

As an aside he too, has a son named Brendan, who is a goaltender and drafted by the Yotes.

Sean was born in Windsor, but grew up in Toronto.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Does anyone else here fear that naming an outsider GM will start the clock ticking on Kyle Dubas being offered a proper NHL GM position elsewhere?

I value Dubas - how can we keep him here long term? He is rapidly becoming a hotshot wiz-kid and will be considered widely for future GM openings.

P.S. Having another Burke as GM of the Leafs makes me cringe. :(

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Does anyone else here fear that naming an outsider GM will start the clock ticking on Kyle Dubas being offered a proper NHL GM position elsewhere?

I value Dubas - how can we keep him here long term? He is rapidly becoming a hotshot wiz-kid and will be considered widely for future GM openings.

P.S. Having another Burke as GM of the Leafs makes me cringe. :(

I wouldn't worry about that for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad