Leafs Management Thread: Shanaplan in full effect

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
I hope he has Bowman like ability for details. Have heard these stories about Scotty watching a game a bit and then going into details what will happen next. Then player does exactly what he said earlier. Those little things that you can't see when your up close, but when you look it little bit further you see it and can pin point it. Tendencies bad ones and good ones. Babcock is thinking that something is off and Lemaire gives him a hint where to look etc.

That would be valuable to have great hockey mind watching and giving important tidbits for coaches and players. W'll see.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Well I guess this sums up the direction the Lemaire, Babcock and Lamorello trio is taking.

Lance Hornby
@sunhornby
Lou say talk of strict off-ice rules for Leafs will likely end up a hybrid of NJ, what Babcock had in Detroit and what was already here.

Last edited:

wandering goat

Oct 29, 2009
Woodstock, ON

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
And to ease some people's minds, he mentions they are rebuilding and aren't going to be teased by any immediate success here or there.

Really reassuring interview. Also relieved that they're not looking to make any more hires (was worried about David Conte)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
there. now that Lamoriello's said it, can we stop entertaining this idea that we're doing anything but?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
there. now that Lamoriello's said it, can we stop entertaining this idea that we're doing anything but?

But, but, but Hybrid Rebuild! Accelerated! Changed Plans! Do you think Lamoriello came here for a 7 year long rebuild!? Babcock, Lemaire, EXPERIENCE! What? Babcock said pain was coming? Forget that, clearly with these hires we're gunning for the playoffs at all cost.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
But, but, but Hybrid Rebuild! Accelerated! Changed Plans! Do you think Lamoriello came here for a 7 year long rebuild!? Babcock, Lemaire, EXPERIENCE! What? Babcock said pain was coming? Forget that, clearly with these hires we're gunning for the playoffs at all cost.

:laugh:

i have to listen to the interview again but he basically stated he's not doing anything until at least October.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Think it is safe to say, they will let Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Brown and others develop into great or good players before sending them away without giving them more than enough time to make the team.

Honestly, think the Leafs will be better than a bottom 5 team in the coming year.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Shanahan must have got them to drink the kool-aid. There is no way Babcock, Lamoriello or Lemaire would join a team in a rebuild, they want to win now & Lou & Jacques are well seasoned.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Shanahan must have got them to drink the kool-aid. There is no way Babcock, Lamoriello or Lemaire would join a team in a rebuild, they want to win now & Lou & Jacques are well seasoned.

Would you rather be remembered as part of the team that slowly built a real contender in Toronto or forgotten as part of the team that did the same thing as their predecessors and maybe won a playoff round at best?

I get that these guys are all win-at-all-costs competitors but fixing Toronto for the first time in decades is a legacy you dream of going out on. Even if Lou and Lemaire dont plan to stick around that long, I'm sure they value the big picture here.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

:laugh:

Honestly. I really hope everyone listens to what Lamoriello said in that interview. I think he basically shot down a lot of issues that were discussed. I'm sure there will be one or two who will go "well you can't believe everything you hear ." but this is again, where I say - why am I going to sit here and call everyone a liar? they said it, their actions have proven what they want = what they are doing for the most part. there hasn't been anything that goes

"wait. this doesn't jive"

since November-January . everyone is on the same page.

now we just have to wait and see this all play out. hopefully in our favour. because man has it been a long time since this organization had some happy.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Honestly, would it really be horrible if the Leafs start winning this coming season?
I mean, say Babcock and Jacques started to improve the defense while Dion, Jake, Reilly and Percy all developed into a good top 4 unit in the league. Then Kadri, Holland and JVR realise their potentials and Lupul is healthy. On top of that Bernier plays like the No 1 that he is touted to be.
Like I said in another thread, as along as they don't trade away Nylander, Marner and other top prospects and picks for rentals or the so called final piece, I am happy with the Leafs winning a few more games here and there rather than flat out tanking like Buffalo.
As long as the culture of the club is attractive and strong, great players like Stamkos or McDavid will come. On the flip side of just, if the club culture is crap, players will count the days till they can leave. People can hype the Oilers all they want, but they won't be making the playoffs in the ELC yrs of McDavid and by then maybe the Leafs will sign him via RFA and bring McDavid home.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Honestly, would it really be horrible if the Leafs start winning this coming season?

I mean, say Babcock and Jacques started to improve the defense while Dion, Jake, Reilly and Percy all developed into a good top 4 unit in the league. Then Kadri, Holland and JVR realise their potentials and Lupul is healthy. On top of that Bernier plays like the No 1 that he is touted to be.

Like I said in another thread, as along as they don't trade away Nylander, Marner and other top prospects and picks for rentals or the so called final piece, I am happy with the Leafs winning a few more games here and there rather than flat out tanking like Buffalo.

As long as the culture of the club is attractive and strong, great players like Stamkos or McDavid will come. On the flip side of just, if the club culture is crap, players will count the days till they can leave. People can hype the Oilers all they want, but they won't be making the playoffs in the ELC yrs of McDavid and by then maybe the Leafs will sign him via RFA and bring McDavid home.

I wonder if Stamkos would fit the "won't be tempted by short term success" category? We talk of scooping up Stamkos, but Burke had the same plan with Kessel.

What is a reasonable time frame for the development of Marner, Reilly and Nylander (and our 1st round pick in the upcoming draft), and how old will Stamkos be at that point?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
my favorite part of the interview

I think that, whenever you come into a situation — and I have done this on a couple of occasions, whether it be at Providence College going from coach to athletic director, or going from that position to New Jersey, and New Jersey to the Nets — I’ve always gone in [like] I’ve hired those people who are there. Not looking to make changes; they determine whether changes are made.

not only will the players be held accountable but so will mgmt

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The part I got from the interview that most are not focusing on. Is what I have said all along.

Lou said, Babcock will coach to the max to win games this year. This is the only way he knows how to coach and this is the only way he knows how Lou knows how to Manage.

There is definitely no tanking for Matthews mantra this season. There is every reason to believe Leafs will be much better this year than last.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The legacy of making the leafs a perrenial contender and purhaps a champion will be the icing on these guys careers.

They know there isno easy fix..they know how to win.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The part I got from the interview that most are not focusing on. Is what I have said all along.

Lou said, Babcock will coach to the max to win games this year. This is the only way he knows how to coach and this is the only way he knows how Lou knows how to Manage.

There is definitely no tanking for Matthews mantra this season. There is every reason to believe Leafs will be much better this year than last.

I think the rainbow players they picked up this year are of higher quality.

Parenteau, Winnick, Matthias, Arcobello
versus
Santorelli, Winnick, Robidas, Booth

Add to this the coaching staff, the maturity of Gardiner and Rielly, and perhaps Bernier will show maturity between the pipes.

I don't think they'll be in the bottom 5 of the league. This year just about everything, except the draft lottery went right (wrong) for them to achieve that 4th. overall selection.

Of course losing Kessel's goals will hurt the purely offensive abilities of the team, but Babcock's requirement of playing as a team will more than offset the 3/4 zone output.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Lou said, Babcock will coach to the max to win games this year.

That's because it's a statement of the obvious. Nobody in their right mind ever thought Babcock would try to lose a game.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

and, as I've been saying for a year.
good.

no one "plans" on tanking in September. except for Buffalo. (which - if I recall correctly, you were all like. "good for Murarry," when everyone was all disgusted by it. ).

Tanking mantras should never, ever be part of management's philosophies. I don't think I read anyone saying. "Babcock is going to go out there and make the team be bad so we can get matthews."

However - at the same time - automatically thinking everything is going to be rosy and peaches and "poof" magical is silly. and I am the most "glass half full" person when it comes to this team. One would suggest that the team would struggle off the gate adjusting to the new coaching structure, (most teams do). Unless Babcock is going to go over the boards. they are now short 25-38 goals.

You are assuming that a lot of the trades that should happen - will just be for prospects that we can install into the team now - not players like Leipsic (that have upside) but they'll install into the Marlies for a year or two (or more). or draft picks.

Lou knows how to GM and Babcock knows how to coach but that doesn't guarantee that the team will just be insta-good. or that they won't be removing pieces that will make us anything more than a team that is 4th through 10th. They will work harder, they won't take their sticks and go home via the players. And I know i've stated - if this team worked hard it doesn't matter where they finish. wherever we draft, we'll get a good player.

but to think they'll do everything to help support a playoff run, I think is silly, and I feel Lou shut that down. and in my mind supporting a playoff run, is keeping people on this team, that wouldn't be relevant 3-5 years from now.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I wonder if Stamkos would fit the "won't be tempted by short term success" category? We talk of scooping up Stamkos, but Burke had the same plan with Kessel.

What is a reasonable time frame for the development of Marner, Reilly and Nylander (and our 1st round pick in the upcoming draft), and how old will Stamkos be at that point?

The issue with acquiring Kessel was that we gave up too much for him, those picks would have become the support that was so obviously missing in the last few years.

If we had Kessel, Seguin, and Hamilton, (along with Kadri, Gardiner, Phaneuf, Rielly, and Bernier) that would be a great, mostly young core and there'd be no need to rebuild.

Giving up important assets to trade for Stamkos is obviously a no-no, but I don't see any issue with signing him as an FA if he wants to come here. After next year, we'll likely have a bunch of prospects hitting the leaugue, and I don't expect another top 10 finish after that, so it's not like Stamkos ruins our draft picks. The point of high draft picks is to get someone like Stamkos. Trading Lupul, Bozak, and/or Phaneuf also means we won't be struggling to make the cap work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad