Leafs Management Thread: General Manager Search: Futa, Burke, McPhee, or stay Hunter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
I beleive it is Mike Futa - which make a lot of sense, and because LA would not release him before the draft, the Leafs are holding back with the announcement

I am not sure what would be the compensation, he is signed after July 1st. The day he is signed, it's going to be Mentalist's day

Here are the goods on the rules for one team poaching executives and coaches from another.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/break...ives-cost-a-draft-pick---and-the-mailbag.html

If a team is hiring from another -- in season -- to become president or general manager, it is automatic -- a second-round pick is awarded the other way. Out of season -- it's a third-round pick. For an executive, "in season" means from the beginning of training camp to the draft. (Teams don't like it if an executive bolts their ranks bringing their drafting strategy to a competitor.)

If a team is hiring for a coach, the rules are the same -- a second-round pick for "in season," a third-rounder out of season. For a coach, however, the "season" ends whenever his team stops playing.

One thing the GMs never anticipated with their rule change -- hiring an executive who has been fired from his post but still under contract. Boston believes it is entitled to a third-round pick from Edmonton for the hiring of Peter Chiarelli, the GM they fired.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leafs are being criticized for unconventional thinking by hiring Babcock the coach before the GM .

However if Hunter is the new GM then Babs and Hunter already met and work together if Mark is promoted.

Unconventional becomes Conventional by promoting Hunter from interim to permanent GM of the Leafs.

Whoever the Leafs hire as GM must share the same vision as Shanny/Hunter/Dubas. Their vision was to hire Babcock. Therefore the vision of the new GM would be to hire Babcock anyway. Now it's done and one less thing to worry about.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl

To be fair, you'd expect the Wings PP to have suffered from some injuries during 2013-14, but they were 22th in 11-12 and 15th in 12-13.

2014-15: 23.8 (2nd)
2013-14: 17.7 (18th)
2012-13: 18.4 (15th)
2011-12: 16.1 (22nd)

Doubt you can credit a single guy with all of those gains I reckon, but either way their PP got a healthy bump this season.

Swayze*

To be fair, you'd expect the Wings PP to have suffered from some injuries during 2013-14, but they were 22th in 11-12 and 15th in 12-13.

2014-15: 23.8 (2nd)
2013-14: 17.7 (18th)
2012-13: 18.4 (15th)
2011-12: 16.1 (22nd)

Doubt you can credit a single guy with all of those gains I reckon, but either way their PP got a healthy bump this season.

healthy indeed

clicking at almost 25%!!! :hockey:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We'd still give up a pick, as Futa is still under contract after this year with LA. However, because we'd be waiting until the proper off-season after the draft, we'd give up a 3rd instead of a 2nd. If Futa or Gorton are the guy, we won't see a GM hired until around July 1st when the cost to acquire them is lessened.

I still think 2nd/3rd round picks are way too high compensation for off-ice personnel, but what are ya gonna do?

well the thing is we need to get the best. You can not argue with Futa's resume (and hey! OHL ties ;) it will stick with the theme we're in now).

If we wait until after draft. it will be a third.
(again, I don't have my laptop so i can't remember the URL that had the draft picks charted)

I thinkwe have 2 thirds next year. and then 1 third in 2017

what i would do is - give LA the 2016 pick, try to get a 2017 third, and then give Detroit our third. this way we're not "hurting" (because the third round HAS to be ours, it can't be a traded pick).

i'd do it.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
well the thing is we need to get the best. You can not argue with Futa's resume (and hey! OHL ties ;) it will stick with the theme we're in now).

(again, I don't have my laptop so i can't remember the URL that had the draft picks charted)

what i would do is - give LA the 2016 pick, try to get a 2017 third, and then give Detroit our third. this way we're not "hurting" (because the third round HAS to be ours, it can't be a traded pick).

i'd do it.

We do NOT have an extra third next year. We have an extra second, fifth and sixth.

I find wikipedia is the most legible resource for keeping track of which picks we have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NHL_Entry_Draft

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
So it sounds like its between Futa Hunter and McPhee

Futa-Young up and comer, from Toronto, experience at the NHL level as a asst GM
Hunter-Well respected around the league and within the orgainzation, in tune with the direction of the team.
McPhee-Has the connections working many years as a GM. Not sure if he's the right fit though with what Shanny's building.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

the toronto maple leafs have found their head coach. Now, it’s time for them to find a general manager. That is, if they haven’t found one already.

While everyone from los angeles’ mike futa and tampa bay’s julien brisebois to george mcphee and sean burke have been linked as a possible candidate to lead the leafs, there is ample speculation that interim general manager mark hunter could soon have the “interim†tag in his current title lifted.

If so, many believe it is long overdue.

“i think he’s a natural fit,†said erie otters general manager sherry bassin. “i pride myself on working hard. If there was one guy i could not outwork, it was mark hunter.â€

“if i were in ownership and i needed somebody for my evaluation of talent, he’s one of the best,†said player agent don meehan. “when you’re talking about a cap system, you can’t afford to make mistakes.â€

hunter, who was hired as the leafs director of player personnel in october, had worked as a general manager in junior hockey for more than two decades. Along with his brother, dale, he helped build the london knights into what ontario hockey league commissioner david branch called “the centre of hockey,†winning three league championships and graduating star players such as corey perry, patrick kane and john tavares to the nhl.

while mike babcock said hunter played a part in convincing him that the leafs were in good hands — “i can talk to that guy. He’s a hockey man,†he said on thursday — the question is whether the leafs need someone with more experience.

“he’s far from a rookie,†said bassin. “he played with a lot of guys who are in the executive position now. He coached in the american league. He created london as a destination for junior players. He also created a relationship with agents. You can’t forget that.â€

“what i always value on my side of the fence is his judgement,†meehan said of hunter. “he’s played the game, he’s ben in the nhl. Over the years, he’s been very perceptive in who can play and who can’t play.â€

Last edited:

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham

i'd do it.

Isn't this just for GMs and Head Coaches? not assistants?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I think he was referring to Futa being an assistant in L.A. but would be GM here.
This compensation thing is very confusing.

My impression is that the compensation is for hiring someone under contract to be a head coach, general manager, or president of hockey operations (or roles that effectively equivalent -- you can't get around compensation by saying the guy that is going to perform what are typically GM duties is going to officially be called "Chief Cook and Bottle Washer"). I'm pretty sure that hiring someone to be an assistant coach or an assistant GM does not require compensation.

Hiring an assistant GM from another team to be the GM here would definitely require compensation.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I hate the idea of giving up another third round pick for Futa, but if that's the case and the Leafs feel he is the best man for the job then go for it. I'm sure he'd be an excellent addition to the staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad