Leafs Management Thread: General Manager Search: Futa, Burke, McPhee, or stay Hunter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Just want to get this on the record. Apparently Babcock is worth an extra 15-20 points per year but some posters think we should pass on that opportunity.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The goal is to build a winning organization from top to bottom. You do that by having the best front office, the best scouting and the best coach. You have the best of everything and things will start to happen. You don't need 5 top 5 picks in a row to build a competitive team.

Are we doing it Shanahan's way of patient, slow, drafting high?

Or has Shanahan had a change of heart and now is adopting a style closer to Burke's model, of accelerated rebuild?

He is aggressively seeking the services of Babcock. There can be only one answer.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Or has Shanahan had a change of heart and now is adopting a style closer to Burke's model, of accelerated rebuild?

He is aggressively seeking the services of Babcock. There can be only one answer.

So if he's choosing between two terrible teams (one is bottom-feeder and the other is barely an NHL team) in a rebuilding process what does that say about his claim wanting to win now?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Can Babcock call shots like "if I'm coming to Toronto than Kessel and/or Phaneuf need to stay, and if your scorching the earth I'm not interested?"

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010

I think there is no connection. Good companies want the best employees no matter the conditions.

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

I don't recall Shanahan ever saying slow, drafting high can you reference that?

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Can Babcock call shots like "if I'm coming to Toronto than Kessel and/or Phaneuf need to stay, and if your scorching the earth I'm not interested?"

More like "I need to be able to void my contract every summer if you guys have meddled in my business during the season".

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
It's a question of his wants. Does he want to win cups or does he want to become a legend. Buffalo is going to have a good team soon, but if Babcock wins in Toronto there will be statues built.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Considering Buffalo is easily 2-3 years ahead of Toronto in a "rebuild", if it's between these two teams I don't see what the Leafs really have to offer.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think there is no connection. Good companies want the best employees no matter the conditions.
Agreed. Hiring one great coach now let's the Leafs still have a great coach when they've gotten enough picks and are moving back out of the hole. I don't think it changes the path the Leafs are going down either way.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

So what about Buffalo? They won't be a playoff team for another 2-3 years either and certainly won't contend for a cup for another year or two after that, and that. Yet they seem to be the favorite to land Babcock.

Sure, we're a good year to two years behind the Sabres, but saying a team that hires Babcock won't be rebuilding is crap if he goes either here or Buffalo. Plus, with good scouting and drafting in the later rounds, we can expedite the process by a year or two.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

If this is what Babcock wants, and Shanahan doesnt agree, then Babcock wont be hired. Simple as that. Shanahan is only going to hire guys that agree with his philosophy.

EdBelfour20

Jan 19, 2004
Considering Buffalo is easily 2-3 years ahead of Toronto in a "rebuild", if it's between these two teams I don't see what the Leafs really have to offer.

being with the team throughout the entire rebuild I suppose, might have some appeal

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

You know what if that's the case then I am sick and tired of this patch work here and there, we need a team that can compete year in and out and that's going to take some time, not some kind of a quick fix

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So if he's choosing between two terrible teams (one is bottom-feeder and the other is barely an NHL team) in a rebuilding process what does that say about his claim wanting to win now?

Detroit still has a good team, Buffalo after a year of tanking have good pieces to make a big turnaround. Toronto depending on what Shanahan has told Babcock is not as bad as Horachek had us.

Bottom line, Babcock has a huge ego. He is a cup(s) winner, a 2 time gold medal winner. He rep is the best in the game. He is going to a team to make them a winner, not to rebuild by tanking and drafting.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

Hmm, Shanahan wants a good coach, must mean he wants to accelerate the rebuild...really?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

We are in a rebuilt mode and can not afford another quick fix or a patch work here and there

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Leafs need to get the best coach possible to make up for players not wanting to come here in the Cap Era. Is Babcock that guy ? He might be.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

If Babcock comes to Toronto, I bet one of Kessel or Dion or both will still be here.

So much for Shanahan's presser. He said one thing and did the other, we will see. The so called progressive and patient plan, Looks more like Burke 2.0 if Babcock comes to Toronto.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You know what if that's the case then I am sick and tired of this patch work here and there, we need a team that can compete year in and out and that's going to take some time, not some kind of a quick fix

But is MLSE going to sign off on paying Babcock $5 mil a year and let the roster on talent look like a bottom 5 team?

If Leafs land Babcock you have to think the plan could be altered, particularly if Babcock tells Leafs management and ownership he can fix what Leafs have now and you don't need to tear it to the ground.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Detroit still has a good team, Buffalo after a year of tanking have good pieces to make a big turnaround. Toronto depending on what Shanahan has told Babcock is not as bad as Horachek had us.

Bottom line, Babcock has a huge ego. He is a cup(s) winner, a 2 time gold medal winner. He rep is the best in the game. He is going to a team to make them a winner, not to rebuild by tanking and drafting.

Buffalo needs a lot more pieces to be considered a contending playoff team. They have no defense. They have no depth. They have no goaltender nor do they have a single star player on their team. You are relying that their prospect can carry the team which may or may not happen. They are in a same stage as us, perhaps they are two years ahead of us. Maybe Shanahan convinced him to tank for a couple of years. Who knows.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I believe that Shanny stated clearly......that he would hire only coaches and GM's who believed in his vision...

So hiring Babcock is not a reason to believe that he changed his vision....the plan can change by the vision would not have changed. Maybe they keep Kessel and give him an ultimatum....You show up in shape and you compete or you do not play....Babcock has had little time time for soft players who do not compete....I believe that he is on the same page with Shanny on this point.

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
But is MLSE going to sign off on paying Babcock $5 mil a year and let the roster on talent look like a bottom 5 team?

If Leafs land Babcock you have to think the plan could be altered, particularly if Babcock tells Leafs management and ownership he can fix what Leafs have now and you don't need to tear it to the ground.

The sky is falling. The sky is falling.

What pray tell does attempting to hire the best coach in the NHL have to do with Shanahans plans to build a model franchise from top too bottom??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad