Leafs Management Thread: General Manager Search: Futa, Burke, McPhee, or stay Hunter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Want and Prefers are very different.

Let look at this as a job application.

Wants = "must have"

Prefers = "nice to have, but not a requirement"

want ~= prefer. It used to be called wants and needs.

I want a Sports Car
I prefer a Ferrari
I require a Car

Want != Require.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Fair enough. I think that NHL experience is different than CHL experience in those terms, and I was more referring to FA discussions. Still, I'm not using it as a point against Hunter, just that he (and Dubas) has little experience in the NHL with the transaction process and if Shanny wants someone with "NHL experience", he could be leaning towards a guy who has it from an AGM/VP role.

I'd be perfectly happy with Hunter as the GM, as I do feel the team is heading in the right direction in terms of Front Office and he would be a strong Head of that team. He's already got the respect of the rest of the management for the role, and we know everybody is on the same page (anyone we hire would have to be too), so it's really just a matter of is he comfortable being THE guy...people have said he'd prefer not to be, others have said he's started to like the job, so I guess we won't really know for sure until we officially name the GM.

I understand. Like I said, even if we don't promote Hunter, he's still doing work for the organization.

But the last few days has shown me he's greatly respected league wide, and if we can promote Mark Hunter, and being in Kelly McCrimmon to fill Hunters role, that would be fantastic. Add in Sean Burke, and it's a massive upgrade to the front office, from when we had Nonis, Loiselle and Poulin

Swayze*

thanks John Hoven whoever you are for stating the obvious and having no inside info!

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Elliotte Friedman of Rogers Sportsnet comments Sportsnet 960 The Fan on what the role of the GM will be for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

http://pmd.fan960.com/audio_on_dema...rrener,-Ryan-Pinder-DM-20150522-Interview.mp3

“They already have a capologist there in Brandon Pridham, and a very good one."

“I think in Toronto it’s going to be different. One of the things that happens is that people think, because we’re used to it, the GM has all the power. It’s going to be very different in Toronto."

“You’re going to have Shanahan with the final say on everything. You’re going to have Babcock with a big say on a lot of stuff. You’re going to have Mark Hunter in charge of a lot of the amateur stuff. You’re going to have Kyle Dubas in charge of the American Hockey League and some pro stuff too. Those guys are all going to have big says."

“But I think what the GM is going to do, from what I’m hearing is, the GM is going to be the person who says, ‘Okay, here’s the plan. I’m going to make the phone calls and… make the contacts and say these are our options for taking care of the plan.’ He’s going to be the person who does a lot of the ground work with other teams."

“Now, yesterday Mike Babcock mentioned Mark Hunter’s name about how much he likes him about four or five times. So on the daily wagering chart on who is going to be the next GM of the Maple Leafs, Mark Hunter’s name shot about 10,000 points yesterday."

“The names we’ve heard a lot of – Julien BriseBois from Tampa – he has told people he’s not leaving the Lightning. We’ve also heard Jeff Gorton from the Rangers. They have not given anybody permission to talk to him. The word is he is Glen Sather’s next replacement."

“Then there’s two other names. There’s George McPhee, who I think fits ideally with what the Maple Leafs are talking about. And Mike Futa of the L.A. Kings. I think if Futa is the guy – they won’t get him until after the draft. I’m hearing that the Kings have said he’s staying with us for the draft and I don’t think the Leafs would be too concerned about that because Mark Hunter is going to run their draft anyway.”

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I feel like the Leafs GM job would be extremely desirable.

You're entering a position that is guaranteed to be long-term, seeing as no results are expected for 5-6 years, and you will be entering a position with some of the smartest hockey minds surrounding you.

I'm not sure if the Leafs are willing to give up another top 90 pick for a GM. Babcock is worth it, but is giving up another pick for a GM worth it? That's what needs to be discussed.

If Futa wants to come here, great

Swayze*

Futa it is

He likes big players so hopefully that balances out our drafting/roster

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Leafs are being criticized for unconventional thinking by hiring Babcock the coach before the GM .

However if Hunter is the new GM then Babs and Hunter already met and work together if Mark is promoted.

Unconventional becomes Conventional by promoting Hunter from interim to permanent GM of the Leafs.

What I'm hoping for is that unconventional becomes conventional when it works, and starts being copied throughout the league! :handclap:

Technically - we're actually not far off to what teams like Tampa and LA already have in place, they just do it behind closed doors rather in front of a frantic Toronto media.

Lombardi, Futa, and Blake, (plus more we likely don't know the names of) are not much different than Shanny, Hunter, Pirdham, and Kyle.

Swayze*

I feel like the Leafs GM job would be extremely desirable.

You're entering a position that is guaranteed to be long-term, seeing as no results are expected for 5-6 years, and you will be entering a position with some of the smartest hockey minds surrounding you.

I'm not sure if the Leafs are willing to give up another top 90 pick for a GM. Babcock is worth it, but is giving up another pick for a GM worth it? That's what needs to be discussed.

If Futa wants to come here, great

Not much choice. If you want the best guy for your club, that is the price of admission.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Want and Prefers are very different.

Let look at this as a job application.

Wants = "must have"

Prefers = "nice to have, but not a requirement"

Want doesn't necessarily mean "must have". There are so many ways to look at this.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Elliotte Friedman of Rogers Sportsnet comments Sportsnet 960 The Fan on what the role of the GM will be for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

http://pmd.fan960.com/audio_on_dema...rrener,-Ryan-Pinder-DM-20150522-Interview.mp3

“They already have a capologist there in Brandon Pridham, and a very good one."

“I think in Toronto it’s going to be different. One of the things that happens is that people think, because we’re used to it, the GM has all the power. It’s going to be very different in Toronto."

“You’re going to have Shanahan with the final say on everything. You’re going to have Babcock with a big say on a lot of stuff. You’re going to have Mark Hunter in charge of a lot of the amateur stuff. You’re going to have Kyle Dubas in charge of the American Hockey League and some pro stuff too. Those guys are all going to have big says."

“But I think what the GM is going to do, from what I’m hearing is, the GM is going to be the person who says, ‘Okay, here’s the plan. I’m going to make the phone calls and… make the contacts and say these are our options for taking care of the plan.’ He’s going to be the person who does a lot of the ground work with other teams."

“Now, yesterday Mike Babcock mentioned Mark Hunter’s name about how much he likes him about four or five times. So on the daily wagering chart on who is going to be the next GM of the Maple Leafs, Mark Hunter’s name shot about 10,000 points yesterday."

“The names we’ve heard a lot of – Julien BriseBois from Tampa – he has told people he’s not leaving the Lightning. We’ve also heard Jeff Gorton from the Rangers. They have not given anybody permission to talk to him. The word is he is Glen Sather’s next replacement."

“Then there’s two other names. There’s George McPhee, who I think fits ideally with what the Maple Leafs are talking about. And Mike Futa of the L.A. Kings. I think if Futa is the guy – they won’t get him until after the draft. I’m hearing that the Kings have said he’s staying with us for the draft and I don’t think the Leafs would be too concerned about that because Mark Hunte is going to run their draft anyway.â€

This sounds fine to me. That way we don't lose any picks and still get our guy!

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie comments on the Mike Babcock hiring by the Maple Leafs, and how there will be no short cuts when it comes to the rebuild.

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/tsnradio/Edmonton/BobMcKenzieMay22.mp3

“I think a guy like George McPhee would jump at it in a heartbeat. I mean, there’s only 30 jobs in the NHL, so when you lose one you want to get back in. George McPhee is very close with the Hunter family; he hired Dale to coach the Washington Capitals. He could work with Mark Hunter and the Toronto Maple Leafs in a heartbeat.”

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I don't like McPhee too much. I would prefer Mark Hunter, Futa or Gorton ahead of him. But we'll see. Shanny/Babcock/Hunter will make the right decision, I have no doubt about that.

Swayze*

If they want the GM to do groundwork, McPhee would be a good candidate

I'd have no problem with him at all.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
This sounds fine to me. That way we don't lose any picks and still get our guy!

We'd still give up a pick, as Futa is still under contract after this year with LA. However, because we'd be waiting until the proper off-season after the draft, we'd give up a 3rd instead of a 2nd. If Futa or Gorton are the guy, we won't see a GM hired until around July 1st when the cost to acquire them is lessened.

I still think 2nd/3rd round picks are way too high compensation for off-ice personnel, but what are ya gonna do?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
We'd still give up a pick, as Futa is still under contract after this year with LA. However, because we'd be waiting until the proper off-season after the draft, we'd give up a 3rd instead of a 2nd. If Futa or Gorton are the guy, we won't see a GM hired until around July 1st when the cost to acquire them is lessened.

I still think 2nd/3rd round picks are way too high compensation for off-ice personnel, but what are ya gonna do?

The league is all about parity. Making the compensation being such high draft picks may make organizations like the Leafs less likely to flex their financial muscles to try and grab management personnel from other teams.

C'est la vie in the NHL.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd drop Jeff Gorton from discussions.

Rangers don't allow him to talk to anyone, and he has the Rangers GM job 100% when Sather decides to step down, so it's doubtful he'll step down to try and get the job here.

Mike Futa seems possible if LA's only guideline is he can't be involved with the draft.

At this point, it's a three way race; Mike Futa, George McPhee and Mark Hunter

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd drop Jeff Gorton from discussions.

Rangers don't allow him to talk to anyone, and he has the Rangers GM job 100% when Sather decides to step down, so it's doubtful he'll step down to try and get the job here.

Mike Futa seems possible if LA's only guideline is he can't be involved with the draft.

At this point, it's a three way race; Mike Futa, George McPhee and Mark Hunter

Agreed

Prefer Futa.

Rather have Hunter tracking down elite talent.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I beleive it is Mike Futa - which make a lot of sense, and because LA would not release him before the draft, the Leafs are holding back with the announcement

I am not sure what would be the compensation, he is signed after July 1st. The day he is signed, it's going to be Mentalist's day

snizzbone*

Jim Hiller joining Babcock on the bench apparently, as per ansar khan on twitter (det media)

Was one of Babs assistants this year in Detroit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad