Leafs Management Thread: General Manager Search: Futa, Burke, McPhee, or stay Hunter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Yeah this is no news article.

I wouldn't say Mark is in the running. If I was the president I would want Mark Hunter using his skillset and abilities. Ie, going to rinks, visiting players. In short, scouting. I don't see him having a desk job managing the leaf players, their contracts and transactions.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Arizona hired a new AGM. Maybe Burke is leaving?

I have a gut feeling he will be here running the goalies, and will have some title that sounds similar to what an AGM does. Director of something, or VP of hockey ops. Etc. Mark hunter either becomes GM or goes back to his original role, dubas remains AGM and I hope they bring in George McPhee to be the "pointman." GMGM, Babcock, with Boucher and hiller behind the bench with babs and the guys in place upstairs makes quite the formidable front office where guys can excell at what they do best.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
They fired almost every single scout, executive and coach. And we still need a CEO to replace Leiweke. We will hire a lot of people over the next few weeks.

We've added Yevegni Namestnikov (still not official though?), Wes Clark, Bryan Stewart, Jim Paliafito, Lindsay Hofford, Darryl Belfry and of course Mike Babcock over the last few months.

Still a few more hires left

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Yeah this is no news article.

I wouldn't say Mark is in the running. If I was the president I would want Mark Hunter using his skillset and abilities. Ie, going to rinks, visiting players. In short, scouting. I don't see him having a desk job managing the leaf players, their contracts and transactions.

Yes I agree with you - let him grow in this role and promote him to GM when the time is right. I am not sure if this is the right time

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Arizona hired a new AGM. Maybe Burke is leaving?

I am sure Burke is moving on. Just too many hints he is.

I would not be surprised he ends up with us. With Futa.

This will be a completely new Leafs Mgt hierarchy this year.

Futa/Burke/Hunter

and Babcock. All In key roles.

That's a huge upgrade from what we had going into last season.

Shanahan would have done his job. Hire good, smart people to run the Team. All he has to do now is sit back and watch the process.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I can see three possibilities happening, but I have the feeling that Shanny wants to wait until after the draft so as to a) be able to talk with everyone, and b) pay less compensation if he takes someone from another organization.

I think it will come down to:

a) Hire one of Futa / BriseBois / Gorton to be the GM, Hunter and Dubas remain in their current roles.
b) If he can't get one of the above three, hire McPhee to be GM for about 3 years (maybe a 5 year contract with the understand he'll only hold the position for first while), with a Hunter to take the reigns later and McPhee to move into more of a consulting role. It'll create a bridge situation, letting Hunter get experience and focus on drafting / scouting before being ready to take over.
c) Make Hunter the GM, then bring in guys like Burke and Mcrimmon (sp?) to replace Hunters current role and augment the team.

These are also conveniently listed in the order of my preference. :nod:

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Shanahan would have done his job. Hire good, smart people to run the Team. All he has to do now is sit back and watch the process.

I really don't think Shanny WANTS to just sit back and watch the process - he wants to drive it.

He's the defacto GM, but without the day-to-day stuff.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I really don't think Shanny WANTS to just sit back and watch the process - he wants to drive it.

He's the defacto GM, but without the day-to-day stuff.

Obviously he is doing what other President's are doing now. Burke is doing the same thing in Calgary. You hire good people to run the day to day operations. You trust them. And you do not interfere. You just sign off on things.

if you have Babcock, Futa, Burke and Hunter running things. You would be a fool to disagree with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia