Post-Game Talk: Leafs Make A Meaningless Game Out of Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
As a fan, that’s what killer instinct means to me. Beat a team on the scoreboard but also rough them up physically, find a grudge match angle and run them into the ground.

Not the greatest Leaf, not the best, not even the best/greatest on his own line while he was here, but my favourite Leaf player:

Darcy Tucker

He would punch your kid in the face if it meant the team had a better chance to win the game.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
Good to see the refs rounding into playoff form. Maybe they'll call things better in Boston. :sarcasm:

Has a team ever won the Cup then fired their coach, cause we might be the first! :nod:

Reactions: authentic

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not the greatest Leaf, not the best, not even the best/greatest on his own line while he was here, but my favourite Leaf player:

Darcy Tucker

He would punch your kid in the face if it meant the team had a better chance to win the game.

Tucker and Roberts were mean, mean customers. The 2002 Islanders series was a war on ice. I think Peca injured Sundin for the series and the next one. Jonsson was playing tough. Bates and Webb were doing your Sam Bennett type things. And Tucker and Roberts just got to work.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
family-feud-buzzer.gif

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
We were intimidating and beating Florida up quite handily in the 1st. They were getting run out of their own building, FFS. The defence activated dolt mode for the 2nd and the pressing issue of the day only seemed to be look for goal #70. I mean I understand this to some degree, but, you still have to take what's given to you and maybe if lucky, AM pot's the big one.

I think if they just take a semi normal approach to the game tomorrow -- take what's given, AM stands a chance of numero 70....a reasonable chance.

Reactions: authentic

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
For me, I’m pissed off they stall out at 99 points for Marner with the empty net last year, 98 points for Nylander cause he turned into a goofball. 69 goals for Matthews. Like it’s symbolically just a vanity number and whatever. But they just come up short of the mission like the moment became too big. Like just get it done
They need to get it done in the playoffs. The individual accomplishments won’t mean much if they get bounced in the first round again. Better teams like Boston, Vegas, Tampa … care more about the team game. Too many Leafs players and fans are satisfied with regular season stats and success.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
One team having more shots in a period than the other has over the entire game is certainly something to forget.

*I was somewhat cheering for Boston in that game against Ottawa and it felt very, very, very wrong!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They need to get it done in the playoffs. The individual accomplishments won’t mean much if they get bounced in the first round again. Better teams like Boston, Vegas, Tampa … care more about the team game. Too many Leafs players and fans are satisfied with regular season stats and success.

Yeah but in my books you take little successes and moral victories and milestones as stepping stones towards playoff success and not face plant on objectives and drop games left and right, have up and down games and periods and then flip a switch to ultimate success.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Darcy Tucker

Its shocking how far this team has fallen since the tucker/gilmour days. We're become the Sens the leafs used to kick the crap out of for shits and giggles.

Reactions: torontoblood

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Yep, we can beat Boston. Our regular season record against them proves that. Oh wait !!!
Considering both years this core lost to Boston they won the season series (I believe one was a sweep, too), could there be anything MORE meaningless?

Reactions: 1specter

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Considering both years this core lost to Boston they won the season series (I believe one was a sweep, too), could there be anything MORE meaningless?
I don't like our chances but yeah regular season means mostly nothing. Last two games which were in the same week the team was ravaged with injuries and the flu bug. OG Leaf fans will also remember the Sens taking our lunch money in the regular season then getting embarrassed by us in the playoffs. Difference is those teams had tons of heart, grit and pride, something this group has lacked severely.

Reactions: Al14

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think these games matter all that much but it's really hard not to see the writing on the wall with how shit some of the depth pieces are playing. Lyubushkin has been terrible for a few weeks, Edmundson and Liljegren can't stay healthy. Domi, McMann and Jarnkrok are iffy to be 100%. Not to mention the awful goaltending over the last 2 weeks.

But hey... post-season is a whole new ball game right? Regular season doesn't matter, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad