Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose in SO

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Perhaps Sandin school the Leafs netminders in practice?

But perhaps that isn't difficult?
Obviously he's shown some ability at it. He wasn't just randomly chosen.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I’m no Holl fan or hater tbh, but he was clearly a bigger problem than Gio last night imo. Slow reads, bad pinches mostly, some positional issues. He wasn’t alone, but he was not what I’d call fine
That is his capability .. issue is too many on here don't realize he can't skate either straight line speed or laterally on his edges .. he plays very very simple to his capabilities and then he can serve as a 6th/7th guy at league min

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Think I read somewhere that Tavares rarely participates in shootouts. Some guys just aren't good at it while others excel, position IMO doesn't have a lot to do with it.

Did it really matter when Samsonov can't make a save anyway?
JT was 0-4 in his first two years here, and hasn't taken one since, but he was pretty good in NY (16-59).

It looked to me like Sandin had him beat with the deke, but didn't get the shot off fast enough.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He's obviously worth more than either of you claimed.
You really think so? Agree to disagree then.

I'd be very surprised if that were the case.
It was mentioned several times during the World Cup and also at the Olympics.

There's a great little story about the Canadian penalty kick against the US at the Olympics. Sinclair was expected to take it, but she told the other player (can't think of her name) to. Totally threw off the US keeper, as she had only really studied Sinclair's trys. Goal!

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You really think so? Agree to disagree then.

It was mentioned several times during the World Cup and also at the Olympics.
They would practice beforehand and the players would be informed on who would be taking them.
It wouldn't be up to them to decide at that moment.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
They should. If they played 1-8, as of today, the Leafs and Tampa would be playing either Washington or the Rangers, which would be a great.
Round two sets up much better, as well
Depressing fact of the day:

If the season ended today, the Leafs would finish 3rd in the NHL. A good accomplishment and a sign of a great team. Guess who their first round opponent would be?

The 4th ranked team in the NHL. This system is so shit

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They would practice beforehand and the players would be informed on who would be taking them.
It wouldn't be up to them to decide at that moment.
Not according to what I've heard from various sources, but ....

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Other than faceoffs, PP, and shots taken, what are his #1C metrics?

When I saw him at the World Juniors I said "great hands, but only when he's not moving his feet at the same time".

I think that's still a valid assessment.

Hard to win with only one line working.
25th in centre points
21st in centre goals

Both top 32 in the league

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

If the season ended today, the Leafs would finish 3rd in the NHL. A good accomplishment and a sign of a great team. Guess who their first round opponent would be?

This new playoff system has f***ed the Leafs over bad a few years.

2018 playoffs, Leafs finish 4th in the East and 7th overall in the league and they get... the 112 point 4th overall Bruins.

2019 playoffs, Leafs finish 5th in the East and 7th overall again, and they get the 2nd overall Bruins.

2022 playoffs, 115 point season, 4th overall in the league, 2nd in the East, and they draw the 110 point 8th overall Lightning.

I'm not excusing them at all, cause they did have easy matchups in the playoffs and they f***ed it up royally, but this playoff system has got to f***ing go already.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah, he's not available.

He has a good thing in the no-pressure Oilers line-up.

As long a McDavid is scoring points, nothing else registers there. ;)
No pressure golfing in the post season if things continue with the oilers

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

So this is the excuse and the free pass the team will get if they lose in the 1st round again?

BTW, we lost to the Habs 2 years ago. We are in no position to be complaining about the playoff format/system.

Reactions: AllHeartNoSkill

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
So this is the excuse and the free pass the team will get if they lose in the 1st round again?

BTW, we lost to the Habs 2 years ago. We are in no position to be complaining about the playoff format/system.
It's not an excuse if it's a valid critique lol

If the Leafs don't win a couple of rounds it's a failure and change will need to happen. But it's also fair to state they (and TB) have quite literally the hardest path to the cup out of any team in the NHL

The Habs are the one instance where the Leafs had a weak opponent and blew it. That doesn't mean they should be subjected to unfairly having elite first round opponents for the rest of time

Reactions: mikeyz

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
This loss cannot be hung on any of the Leafs "target player's," Kerfoot, Holl, Engvall or JT, none of those players were the cause for the loss.

That loss is directly attributable to a poor quality netminding effort. Sammy seems like a good kid but I saw a lot of Gentlemen James stuff going on, deep in his net too much, trying to play goal while constantly on his knees which leads to swimming, and a horribly wide open 5 hole. The five hole he can correct with better deployment of his goal stick. The deep in the net stuff is all about confidence, and just like Reimer as soon as he gets out to the top of his crease he's a way better than average goaltender.

The 2 line struggled at times and couldn't bury the chances they created which btw were quite a few, the key however is not burying those chances.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Shootout is a coin flip but we should’ve outright beat these guys with them missing O’Reilly and Tarasenko. Samsonov really screwed the pooch.
Doesnt help with Shithead Keefe putting Sandin in the shootout this early. Sandin probably cant remember the last time he had a breakaway.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He is receiving 7.95mm this year in salary which is about right.
I'm guessing a renewal of 5-7mm depending on term...7mm being for 1 year
Assuming you consider his $15.9M salary his first year here 'about right' , then $7.95M this year is too.

Your lower end (5-6) is about the most I'd consider for a renewal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad