Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose in SO

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Entertaining game of Shinny last night. The defensive play of both teams was sub par. Samsonov could have been better but he didn't have much help.

It seems our team commitment to defensive play has regressed as our blueline gets healthy.
The Leafs overall sv% was 2nd best with Morgan Rielly and others out but now since the defense has returned to health the focus on team defense has declined.

These last 5-6 games alone have dropped the Leafs from 2nd to 11h in team sv% and its not goaltending alone its Leafs pushing offense again. IMO

1672852536839.png

With STL missing their top 2 forwards in O'Rielly and Tarasenko, Leafs game plan shouldn't have been lets try and win this one 6-5.

Why are they giving up 6 goals against STL and Arizona?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I didn’t like the run and gun approach to the game but it was entertaining to say the least.

Beyond being annoyed that Timmins sat out, did any else feel like Keefe threw the game away opting let Sandin go in the shootout?

That didn’t make any sense to me at all, and it felt like a dumb way to lose a very winnable point, while wasting the efforts made in the game.

Anyways, on to the next game an it looks like starting goalie job is for Murray to lose now….

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I didn’t like the run and gun approach to the game but it was entertaining to say the least.

Beyond being annoyed that Timmins sat out, did any else feel like Keefe threw the game away opting let Sandin go in the shootout?

That didn’t make any sense to me at all, and it felt like a dumb way to lose a very winnable point, while wasting the efforts made in the game.

Anyways, on to the next game an it looks like starting goalie job is for Murray to lose now….
I've seen this comment a few times.
How do people think the Coaches determine who should be part of the shootout?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Be interesting to hear why Keefe chose Sandin over Tavares.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

It's the first (and hopefully last) shootout of the year. My guess is they're going by recent success in practice.

And to be fair, Sandin made a nice move and was staring at a gaping net only to be robbed by Binnington.

pdson

Apr 14, 2014
The Leafs overall sv% was 2nd best with Morgan Rielly and others out but now since the defense has returned to health the focus on team defense has declined.

These last 5-6 games alone have dropped the Leafs from 2nd to 11h in team sv% and its not goaltending alone its Leafs pushing offense again. IMO

View attachment 630255

With STL missing their top 2 forwards in O'Rielly and Tarasenko, Leafs game plan shouldn't have been lets try and win this one 6-5.

Completely ignoring that 2 of the goals against Arizona were in an empty net

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Think I read somewhere that Tavares rarely participates in shootouts. Some guys just aren't good at it while others excel, position IMO doesn't have a lot to do with it.

Did it really matter when Samsonov can't make a save anyway?

Stopped Kyrou. I give credit to Thomas, Buch and Schenn for those goals. If JT extends it, who knows how it plays out.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Who were you going to sit for Timmins? There is no obvious answer.
Sandin being in the SO is fine.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Stopped Kyrou. I give credit to Thomas, Buch and Schenn for those goals. If JT extends it, who knows how it plays out.
I assume the coaches put thought into the lineup, they aren't just randomly picking guys.
There must be a reason why Tavares didn't shoot, maybe he begged off?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Hyman wouldn't have 41 points here.
His 11 goals in 16 playoff games last year would really be of interest here for the Leafs this year.,
He wouldn't have had that here either. His 5 goals - including one falsely attributed to him instead of Marner - in 32 playoff games while he had wide open ice and they double teamed our stars certainly wasn't missed.

Reactions: Sypher04

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

View attachment 630255

You can see it very clearly .. Rielly is getting back to game shape .. Sandin is gambling all da time on da ice .. then guys like Gio start thinking they can do it too .. it spreads to whole D like a virus .. very very clear last night watching it live in arena .. lots of stuff you can't see from TV/internet .. and like I said Holl played in fine last night so you can't blame it on him .. he played da only way he can contribute simple simple simple .. even forwards were not thinking D .. too many guys thinking points and goals .. da recipe only leads to bad results

Reactions: bax

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
You can see it very clearly .. Rielly is getting back to game shape .. Sandin is gambling all da time on da ice .. then guys like Gio start thinking they can do it too .. it spreads to whole D like a virus .. very very clear last night watching it live in arena .. lots of stuff you can't see from TV/internet .. and like I said Holl played in fine last night so you can't blame it on him .. he played da only way he can contribute simple simple simple .. even forwards were not thinking D .. too many guys thinking points and goals .. da recipe only leads to bad results
He was pretty bad on the Leivo goal.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I’m no Holl fan or hater tbh, but he was clearly a bigger problem than Gio last night imo. Slow reads, bad pinches mostly, some positional issues. He wasn’t alone, but he was not what I’d call fine

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Not liking how this team has looked since Mo's return. They are either too comfortable with him back there and expect him to take on the hard loaded minutes or as a vet he has a heavy voice and influence on the way the team is playing back there.

Either way it has to change. He looked decent last night, not too many chances against with him on the ice. But its become obvious now this team defensively played better without him. They need to figure out why that is and possibly have some hard conversations.

Rubyblue

Apr 13, 2021
Who were you going to sit for Timmins? There is no obvious answer.
Sandin being in the SO is fine.
The difference last night was our goaltender was worst than theirs. Leafs should have won in regulation. Being outhit almost 3 to 1 didn't seem to affect leafs play in this game but sure as heck will in a playoff round. This team as built, still won't win in the playoffs. Bummer.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Tavares should have been next in the shootout. That was a head scratcher for sure.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Yeah not too sure why Sandin went in the shootout given where we were at that point but it is what it is.

Seattle tomorrow night. Time to refocus and get back to playing sound defensive team hockey.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Despite some bad puck luck 5v5, and a career worst OISH% and conversion relative to OIxGF that will correct itself as the season progresses, Tavares sits tied for 39th among centers (some of which aren't even centers) in 5v5 points, and is just a couple of points outside the top-25. He's also 7th in PP points, is playing well defensively, and is top of the league in faceoffs, but he doesn't have any empty net points so I guess he sucks. 4-6m lmao. Good lord.
You don't think he's worth that much? Maybe not quite, but I think he's worth more than the $3-4M suggested by the poster I was responding to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad