Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marleau looks like he's aged 10 years since Christmas. He can still skate but looks like he lost all upper body range in the past 2 months.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
feels good. Babs needs to learn that when you ice a bullshit lineup you deserve to lose. How doesn't this clown realize by now that this team lives or dies based on its young talent. That means play willie at C and give him a chance damnit babs. He had to pull out a highlight of the month candidate in order to generate 1 point with this garbage hyman and plek line.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dominated the last 2 periods by quite a bit. Good game by the Leafs despite probably being exhausted after a long stretch of a lot of hockey.

Sort of like the reversal of the game against the Islanders the other day.

Zaitsev needs to figure it out or the Leafs will have quite the player and contract to deal with. He's been a disaster.

Didn't help that his forward was out for a skate around.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Z goes for a ultra high risk pinch. Loses puck and that that. Kadri was not reading it well either, too deep.

Reactions: leburn98

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Should have played Carrick on the3 on 3 instead of zaitsev. We lose Babcock is happy he gets to put polak back in for Saturday. The Dermott Carrick pairing were the best d on the ice today and it’s clear that it’s so much better than Dermott polak.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
at least the team gave a good effort and played well for the most part. hope this loss stings and makes us come back angry

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm just speaking about myself here...

But if I played one season in the nhl, and was... uh... not that bad I guess...

And then some lunatic gave me $35 million dollars to keep playing.

Just being honest, my heart wouldn't be in it the same. I'd play it safe. I'd do what I'd have to do to get my contract, and that would be my priority.

So I can't blame Zaitsev. It's just what happens when you give that much money to someone with one years experience.

No one blames Zaitsev but the evaluation on him last year seems to have been made in error. He's terrible.

Reactions: dsred

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Zaitsev might be the first big gaff of this new leaf management so far unless he can figure out what's going on and start to look more like he did last season.

I suppose I should be angry with getting 2 points out of 4 on the back to back but I sure as hell was wanting the two points tonight.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Win at home, tie on the road.

Really is a huge difference without Matthews out there for OT.

I really don't buy that Marleau - Marner line. Seems really ineffective and peripheral.

Marleau makes sense with grinders to me, he seems to score most of his goals off chaotic broken plays where he can let his shot loose and surprise the goalie. Marner isn't that guy.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Why don't we ever try Nylander-Kapanen or Nylander-Marner in 3on3?

Just throw out a pair that can dominate. Instead we try to spread the offence during 3on3. It makes no sense.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Marleau just can't get it done anymore......a shame to watch a future hall of famer in decline..he used to be an elite goal scorer.. a game breaker..
Who would have thought he'd... you know... lose a step... once he turned thirty freaking eight.

Literally nobody could have seen that coming.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Like I've been saying, Zaitsev always seems to be 2 to 5 feet wide of where he's supposed to be on the ice or with body positioning or a split second late. That pinch was insanely stupid, basically all risk no reward on it. The guy is so shaky.

I don't know how Zaitsev sees the ice in an OT game when we have Gardiner, Rielly and Dermott. You only ever need 1D on the ice in OT.

How is Zaitsev playing in OT? He's so bad.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Tough to lose after dominating. Zaitsev needs to **** or get off the pot stylistically. If you're gonna go for it, don't hesitate - go for it. The slight hesitation killed him in that last sequence.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews is a difference maker, they really do need him back.

I feel bad for our goaltenders, wow, our defence is like watching a car wreck. Specifically Zaitsev and Polak. Useless.

Happy with the point, very unhappy with Babcock's decision to put someone who has clearly been struggling all night and season in OT when the game is on the line. He's not a threat offensively, as he has no offensive game to speak of and his defensive game is suspect.

Bad coaching decision. Period.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Marleau also cost us the game when he missed Marner with his pass. Zaitsev might be as bad as Polak. Can't do anything right. An opposing player just has to get close to him for him to panic and throw the puck away. Marleau is also awful and shouldn't play in OT. Taking stupid easy shots that just a loss in possession and missing Marner with passes. Also looks like his speed is slowing down. Feels like we are watching him age as the season goes on.

Reactions: Leaf4Life

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I can’t f***ing stand Russian defenceman. They’re boneheaded and not made for the NHL except for a select few. Absolute joke we signed this clown for 7 years.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I agree that Marleau needs to get through this slump. Getting way too many chances and not taking advantage.

He's a vet, he'll figure it out.

As long as it's for playoff time that's all I really care about.

Pleks needs some practice time with these guys :laugh: back to back games and no practice really.

Good game by McBackup

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Terrible play by Zaitsev. Should have won that the way we dictated play. Either way, leaving Florida with 2 of 4 isn’t the end of the world. Just wish Carolina held on to their lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad