Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
Babcock's comments weren't even controversial wtf is everyone talking about?

They aren't. I think he's a great coach but I dislike his coaching style and I think he's a dick. If Hyman made that play, he would've been like. "see why he's on that line, he went out there and got the puck and he plays hard - we need some of the other guys, like willy, to do that".

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's also just the first practice until Saturday.

Hopefully Carrick is the one to go in the outdoor game.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I think he praises the role players because there is not much room for growth with those guys.

I expect Babcock to be a bit harder on Rielly Marner Nylander Matthews Dermott Liljegren Kadri and Andersen as they will be here long after those others are. They are the next group of leaders. He needs to get the most out of them.

It's not about being hard on Nylander, I would hope Babcock is hard on all players and tries to challenge them every day. It's about the none stop slight digs that he loves to give. I have never heard him give a dig to Rielly, Matthews, or Kadri. But you always hear about it with Nylander. Even when he does well gotta find a way to get a slight dig in there. Nylander gets a hat trick, Bab's says he should be playing against Pasta more often. Make the play of the game, talks about a phantom giveaway that happened beforehand. Don't get me started on the compete talk. Andersen was Freddy 5 for a whole month and I don't think Babs said one thing about him. But of course gotta get the digs in on Nylander, Sportnets hit piece aren't enough I guess gotta get the coach to give the media more ammo.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Wasn't there some stat that showed for this season the Leafs have a winning record with Polak out of the lineup and a losing record the more games he plays?
Yes but the notion that our 6th defenseman being that big of a key contributor in whether we win or lose is laughable at best.

Reactions: ACC1224

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Clearing the zone isn't just one defender's issue.

You guys are just too focused on Zaitsev and must be missing all the farts from every other defender. Rielly may be their best defender, but he's hardly without his faults. Probably one of the weakest at controlling the puck at the offensive blueline and he either gets it through or he waits until there's nothing but shin pad it out of the O-zone.

Gardiner is always good for several giveaways or excuse me you can have the puck in his own zone. Last night with a few seconds to go in the period he bails on the puck and Panthers almost score. There was no need for that to happen except Gardiner wasn't going to get dirty.
Lol Rielly has been remarkable at the Offensive Blue line. Just what have you been watching.

Z was horrible most of the year last year as he simply sends the puck up the wall time after time and is easy to read. All this year it has been the same once Z was gone Gardiner started to play better same with Rielly away from
Him. Z is playing far to many minutes and is not ready to play them against the type of competition he is playing against. I said it all last year and as well as this year and now others are starting to see it. He is at best a 5 right now and we need him to be a 4. Hope he can improve and Likely the reason why Babs has put him out in back to back OT attempting to get him more confident. He simply throws the puck away under pressure and seldom uses the supports he has.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
It's not about being hard on Nylander, I would hope Babcock is hard on all players and tries to challenge them every day. It's about the none stop slight digs that he loves to give. I have never heard him give a dig to Rielly, Matthews, or Kadri. But you always hear about it with Nylander. Even when he does well gotta find a way to get a slight dig in there. Nylander gets a hat trick, Bab's says he should be playing against Pasta more often. Make the play of the game, talks about a phantom giveaway that happened beforehand. Don't get me started on the compete talk. Andersen was Freddy 5 for a whole month and I don't think Babs said one thing about him. But of course gotta get the digs in on Nylander, Sportnets hit piece aren't enough I guess gotta get the coach to give the media more ammo.
People arent going to like hearing this but I think Nylander has every bit of skill to score 40 goals. Hyman's career potential could be what 15 goals? Tbh last year i didnt think nylander was gonna be that good, i thought he was a bit lazy and sucked defensively. This year ive changed my mind there is times i think he looks like he can be a superstar center. The way i see it Mathews is playing as good as he possibly could, i think reilly has a ceiling that isnt much better than he is right now... Nylander i think has the highest potential on the team to improve from where he is now and is also the guy babcock is the hardest on. Hyman, Brown etc are nearing their potential, Nylander is good right now, but he can go from currently a good 2nd line winger/1st to a legit superstar center.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
There were plenty of times to get Nylander reps at center this season. This latest one is just the longest and most pronounced. He could be practicing at center (we have a ton of off-days) and building on the games he plays.

This kid just won the MVP of the WHC. He's the oldest of the big three. He was ready.

Now? Who knows. Babcock's dislike for Nylander has more than likely robbed some of his confidence.

Even when he has had good/great games or even great plays, Babcock always downplays it.

This latest example was just putrid - and it's why a lot of Leaf fans got a bit pissed. It's uncalled for.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Lol Rielly has been remarkable at the Offensive Blue line. Just what have you been watching.

Z was horrible most of the year last year as he simply sends the puck up the wall time after time and is easy to read. All this year it has been the same once Z was gone Gardiner started to play better same with Rielly away from
Him. Z is playing far to many minutes and is not ready to play them against the type of competition he is playing against. I said it all last year and as well as this year and now others are starting to see it. He is at best a 5 right now and we need him to be a 4. Hope he can improve and Likely the reason why Babs has put him out in back to back OT attempting to get him more confident. He simply throws the puck away under pressure and seldom uses the supports he has.
This must be a confidence thing as he wasn't doing this as much to start this year or last year. But ya he is brutal under pressure in the defensive zone. Gives away the puck the most of any defender it seems.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Yes but the notion that our 6th defenseman being that big of a key contributor in whether we win or lose is laughable at best.

All it takes is one stupid turnover or icing and the puck could be in the back of our net.

You put me out there playing defence on any team in the NHL for 15ish minutes and I guarantee the team concedes more goals than they would with an actual NHL-caliber Dman.

Polak is not one.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Z was horrible most of the year last year as he simply sends the puck up the wall time after time and is easy to read. All this year it has been the same once Z was gone Gardiner started to play better same with Rielly away from...

Come on you've watched more than 1 generation of Leafs defenders right?

Being the best of what the Leafs have isn't exactly a high standard.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Come on you've watched more than 1 generation of Leafs defenders right?

Being the best of what the Leafs have isn't exactly a high standard.
That is not what you said nor what I said. He seldom gets his shots blocked but you seem to think it happens often. Look where he stands on shots on goal league wide despite the PP with him not as the shooter will see just how affective he has been.

Rielly would be among our top D man since the 80’s so I do not get the attack.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
This must be a confidence thing as he wasn't doing this as much to start this year or last year. But ya he is brutal under pressure in the defensive zone. Gives away the puck the most of any defender it seems.
Yes he was and I posted it several times but everything was blamed on his partner (s).

His hockey IQ is not his strength as he makes poor decisions after poor Decisions we simply need him to make the simply plays and thus far he has struggled with that concept. He is by far the hardest D man to play with on our team as he does not follow rotations far to many times leaving his partners confused and then they look like the at fault D man.

He should be paired with Polak for a while and maybe he would understand just what it is like to play with himself as they both are similar when the puck stays in the defensive zone for anything longer then 15 seconds. He would also learn that taking passes that are an inch from the boards are difficult as he and Polak do it all the time under even a little pressure.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That is not what you said nor what I said. He seldom gets his shots blocked but you seem to think it happens often. Look where he stands on shots on goal league wide despite the PP with him not as the shooter will see just how affective he has been.

Rielly would be among our top D man since the 80’s so I do not get the attack.

I see it too often and I see him bobble the puck too often. Not as many shorties recently though ...

I don't see him as that good, really don't. I think Dermott will be better.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Why was the PP running through Gardiner last night? Every time he’d get the puck he’d just fire a weak wrister on net. I understand we’re looking for tips and rebounds but Willy hardly touched the puck on any of our PPs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad