Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT Again to Devils.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Its a catch 22 quite frankly IMO

- Dubas' contract is not renewed so IMO he should not be allowed to make any substantial changes to the team that might ruin team's future
- but at the same time both Matthews and Nylander are pending UFAs in 2024 (season after this) with their NTCs kicking in July 1, 2023. marner's NTC also kicks in at the same time even though he will be a pending UFA in 2025 (another :facepalm: worthy decision).

- no guarantee that matthews/nylander re-sign with us. And suppose they were willing to re-sign where is the cap going to come from? Nylander is at minimum 9AAV to 10 AAV player with the way he has performed; Matthews will probably be looking at 14 to 16 AAV IMO

- and suppose somehow one is able to accommodate both matthews and nylander; then the depth will suffer even more so including D and goalie.

Maybe we'll be really lucky and they'll all take cheap bridge deals for two years at no more than their current level, which will take us until the Tavares disaster is off the books.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What a miserable bunch. Top player is shooting 3.8%, yet the team is 2nd in the division. Y'all must be fun at parties.

Reactions: kb

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Seriously though personally if Dubas had had any success nobody would be angry with him IMO including me. It is his lack of success and stubbornness to not address the obvious that has people ticked at him including Shanahan.

Preach sister!!!!

Raptors fall short , their GM trades a player from their core.
Blue Jays fall short, they trade a core player.
Maple Leafs fall short they double down 5 years in a row...

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Maybe we'll be really lucky and they'll all take cheap bridge deals for two years at no more than their current level, which will take us until the Tavares disaster is off the books.

I'd like to quote the Architect from Matrix Reloaded if I may....

"Humph. Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness."

:laugh:

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'd like to quote the Architect from Matrix Reloaded if I may....

"Humph. Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness."

:laugh:
Or to quote Alexander Pope "Hope springs eternal in the human breast."

(Am I allowed to say 'breast'? We'll see.)

Better than Zimmerman's "When you've got nothing you've got nothing to lose".

Reactions: PromisedLand

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I said bodychecks. Bam!!
Not "hits" which is the term one can easily imagine soft stats nerds use rather than the more accurate "gently-getting-in-the-way".

You might have a point.

One of the complaints about Sandin is his footspeed, therefore he has to physically engage.

The rest of the players are quicker and can avoid making any contact with other players.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I said bodychecks. Bam!!
Not "hits" which is the term one can easily imagine soft stats nerds use rather than the more accurate "gently-getting-in-the-way".
Sandin has developed a scrappy game along the boards. Not sure what you're watching

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Word is out around the NHL. Jersey players are off limits. Did you see any leaf lay a body check this whole game. This power puff Jersey team is not on a winning streak people. They are on The Untouchable streak. This is not the Matrix people. These orders are from the higher ups. Why do you think Sheldon started our slowest forward in OT..

• Haha
Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
hard earned point against a very good NJ team. We gave ourselves an opportunity to win in a game even though we were getting outplayed by a wide margin. I knew NJ would bring their best, and in all honesty they looked great. Boring as f*** at times, but great. They gave us absolutely nothing and they knew when to pounce the other way. That team is legit. It was not a flukey win on their end, they played with excellent structure.

I am not sure how NJ went from absolute joke to legitimate wagon in 1 offseason, but that felt like we were playing the TB lightning. Skill up front to make you pay for your mistakes, and complete buy in defensively from all their players.

From our perspective, we certainly didn't have our best showing. Our PP was terrible. we couldn't establish a forecheck, and we once again got burnt by sloppy neutral/defensive zone play. If not for Murr, we would have gotten the outcome we deserved (0 points).

I feel incredibly confident with a Murr/Samsonov tandem TBH. Murr has been great in the preseason + 3 regular season games and same goes for Sammy as well. I still don't think we've even come close to hitting our stride everywhere else though. Something just feels off. But we are 9-5-4 and 2nd in the Atlantic despite all of this. Not the end of the world.

take the point and move on to the next game!
9-9 .500.

holl needs gone, marner too, keefe, dubas, shanahan too cee ya.

Reactions: Al14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad