Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT Again to Devils.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
To be fair, the Hughes and Hischer deals were huge gambles that paid off. They overpaid them while they were average, and they have lived up to and exceed those expectations.

Hard to compare those contracts to Matthews and Marner who were 40+ G and 90 + P players when their ELCs were up to Hischer and Hughes were similar players to Nylander around the same age.

Hughes was signed 8x8 after this

View attachment 609547

Hischer was signed 7x7 after this
View attachment 609549

Not discounting or disregarding what you have posted but one has to take context into account IMO

some context at least what I think may be relevant
  • McDavid, Eichel, Draisaitl all had 8 year deals
  • Except perhaps Aho (canes decent cap hit too btw) and may be Barzal (birdge deal) everyone else signed long term 7 or 8 year deals. Matthews and Marner deals were not only heavily inflated but the term also was not there.
    • note: both Aho and Barzal signed after matthews/marner
    • Rantanen signed after matthews/marner deal too but longer term and decent caphit

Now in terms of how IMO teams should look to sign deals
  • Devils did not have someone already taking massive cap on their cap structure (like we do with JT)
  • I agree that Hischier and Hughes deals could have been construed as gambles but they were the core peices with no one else taking massive cap on their team
  • Devils also made a play to get #1D in dougie hamilton. They had also tried to stabalize their D with Subban which obviously didn't work out as they wanted; BUT... their future isn't screwed they have decent young core and they can only build from now on
  • The culture on that team is "work ethic" where logo means more than the name on the back. And they are going to be better for it.
  • Leafs already had Tavares with 11 AAV on their team when they gave those offers to Matthews and Marner. Not only did they overpay they did not even get term
  • What does that mean?
    • Matthews and Nylander are pending UFAs in a year with NTC kicking in July 2023.
    • Leafs have had no playoff sucess
    • Looks like a failed rebuild IMO
    • Why? -> incompetent president/gm/coach
  • Context IMO if Devils had signed the Hughes and Hishier deals when they had someone already on their cap taking massive cap space that would have been complete stupidity but they didn't; we did and we did not even get term.

Matthews and Marner NTC kicks in July 2023 even though Marner's contract doesn't end till 2025. not only did they get the money they wanted and term they wanted they also got conditions heck Marner's NTC kicking in same time as Matthews is absolute madness IMO and I am not even looking at thier cap hits and term

Leafs have been playing magic 8 ball bingo with their bottom 6, defense and goalie situation. All because there isn't any cap left for quality; just enough for quantity i.e. get bodies on the team.

This IMO is poor planning and execution from management's pov meanwhile the gm has thrown away draft picks for 1st round exits. I could go on and on about the incompetence of management (including coaching). I ticks me off because closer we move towards the end of Matthews' contract more and more it looks like a completely failed rebuild. And all of this hangs on primarily on shanahan and dubas

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Where are the consequences to certain players on this team? Engvall is so soft and careless with the puck at times. Sandin, who I love for his competitiveness, gambles way too often and at inopportune times for a .25-.33 PPG defender. Is the coach afraid to correct these players or is in favour of what they're doing? I know the type of player Keefe was, I don't believe for a second that he respects the way Engvall plays the game. Regarding Sandin, any coach knows that players have to be reined in if the player is too enthusiastic about going on the attack.

Holl(2AAV)+Kerfoot(3.5AAV)+Engvall(2.25AAV) all pending UFAs with total cap hit of 7.75; they all have zero accountability; especially Holl he has been an absolute mess. Did you see what he was doing on Devils' first goal?

7.75 of dead cap IMO just bodies used as fillers.

Sandin and Lily are young so I don't mind if they make mistakes because thats how they are going to learn. This is where a competent GM and coach would have an experienced NHLer as their D partner so they can cover for youngsters' mistakes and guide them.

They have a Sandin-Lily pairing going on right now because apparently holl can do no wrong.... :rolleyes:

in Game 4 Keefe as called out for playing Holl; and out of spite he kept playing Holl for the entire series against the bolts; and everyone saw Holl suck especially in Game 6 and Game 7 costing Leafs both games. But of course Holl can do no wrong and he has to continue playing to justify Dubas' protection of Holl.....

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I think thats too much pressure on players b/c of GM's incompetence. Hypothetically speaking even if big4 perform the bottom 6 will have to play opposition to a stalemate I don't think Leafs are gonna be able to achieve this as other teams have better cap allocation and team structure; their depth will overpower the leafs. (Recall game 7 last season who scored for Tampa? as an example)

Personally Leafs can do with dealing Marner to another team use his 11 million to restructure the top9 and address defensive issue including re-signing both Matthews and Nylander.

And then when Tavares is off the cap re-evaluate for decent cap allocation and cap structure.

But personally, I'd prefer actually I want it to be a new President/GM to come in with a new vision.

Shanahan/Dubas/Keefe tandem IMO does not have a plan or process. They have thrown away picks/prospects for 1st round exits and do not know how to build a competent and competitive team in the cap era for success.
I know you're not a big fan of Dubas. Like I said in a post the other day, he's done some good and some bad like most GMs. In my opinion.

I can't argue with you that... that is the way you feel about management. You have some valid points and you're entitled to your opinion and you make some good points too. Some of the money could definitely be allocated in different ways.

I do still think it's a good team that just hasn't ever gotten over the hump and I think it's for a number of reasons and in different 1st rounds there's different things that have done them in. However it's still the same group of guys mostly.

I'm saying this reluctantly... but I'm giving this team this year... that's it. If they don't do it here then I think everyone knows that the 4 of them together is over. You'll probably see at least 1 and maybe 2 of them gone. Also Dubas is gone forsure if they don't go far in the playoffs. I'd guess Keefe is too if Dubas goes. Shanahan no idea what would happen there.

Changes will happen if they fail again. I didn't even think they'd run it back this year after the latest playoff loss but here we are.

I'm just trying to remain optimistic. I'm hoping the goaltending holds up... because regardless of injuries it's been decent. Same on D.

The forwards need to score more forsure though. I'm simplifying it obviously but that's how I see it so far. I'll let people who are good with stats throw out numbers as the season goes along.

They've been shaky at times but I still think they make the playoffs. Then they have to prove they can actually do it.

Okay I'm done ranting now lol

Reactions: Twine Tickler

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The Leafs are a good team, but they're still just a shell of what they could have been. They've consistently failed to score in the playoffs when it counts, and Dubas has constantly ignored that and continued to gut the team offensively. Now they can't even score in the regular season. They're a very reliable defensive team that can drive play, but they are just flat out hard to watch most nights. They're built around getting carried by 4 players offensively while everyone else is just there to not screw up, and that's just no way to build a team. Dubas has an atrocious vision and needs to go

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Always enjoy your rants about the defense. I still don't think it gets talked about enough just how utterly terrible this D is.

Couple guys on the Devils' D I was actually impressed with (don't really have much of a name around the league), Siegenthaler and Marino. Guys who make quick decisions like that and are always 1 move ahead of the forecheck are guys we desperately need on our defense.

it was baffling to me that takes that some were taking repeating what dubas had said that this is a cup team with their D as: (before injuries)

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl (yes this pairing is out of the world :sarcasm:)
Gio Lily
Sandin Benn

And now....
Rielly Benn
Gio Holl
Sandin Lily

someone needs to tell dubas that sandin/lily are not Makar

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I hate to admit it, but Dougie Hamilton was solid last night.

Agreed, but I'm still not convinced that Murray is as good as many are saying. All the goals that went in were not on him, but in the future he's going to have steal a game or two for TOR. I'm not sure he's there yet.

He looks lost to me, but he has managed to make some saves. Up high, he is a complete mess. It’s only been two games, so I’m not sold on him being the answer going forward. Time will tell I guess

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Always enjoy your rants about the defense. I still don't think it gets talked about enough just how utterly terrible this D is.
I can only imagine how upset you'd be if this defense actually was utterly terrible.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I know you're not a big fan of Dubas. Like I said in a post the other day, he's done some good and some bad like most GMs. In my opinion.

I can't argue with you that... that is the way you feel about management. You have some valid points and you're entitled to your opinion and you make some good points too. Some of the money could definitely be allocated in different ways.

I do still think it's a good team that just hasn't ever gotten over the hump and I think it's for a number of reasons and in different 1st rounds there's different things that have done them in. However it's still the same group of guys mostly.

I'm saying this reluctantly... but I'm giving this team this year... that's it. If they don't do it here then I think everyone knows that the 4 of them together is over. You'll probably see at least 1 and maybe 2 of them gone. Also Dubas is gone forsure if they don't go far in the playoffs. I'd guess Keefe is too if Dubas goes. Shanahan no idea what would happen there.

Changes will happen if they fail again. I didn't even think they'd run it back this year after the latest playoff loss but here we are.

I'm just trying to remain optimistic. I'm hoping the goaltending holds up... because regardless of injuries it's been decent. Same on D.

The forwards need to score more forsure though. I'm simplifying it obviously but that's how I see it so far. I'll let people who are good with stats throw out numbers as the season goes along.

They've been shaky at times but I still think they make the playoffs. Then they have to prove they can actually do it.

Its a catch 22 quite frankly IMO

- Dubas' contract is not renewed so IMO he should not be allowed to make any substantial changes to the team that might ruin team's future
- but at the same time both Matthews and Nylander are pending UFAs in 2024 (season after this) with their NTCs kicking in July 1, 2023. marner's NTC also kicks in at the same time even though he will be a pending UFA in 2025 (another :facepalm: worthy decision).

- no guarantee that matthews/nylander re-sign with us. And suppose they were willing to re-sign where is the cap going to come from? Nylander is at minimum 9AAV to 10 AAV player with the way he has performed; Matthews will probably be looking at 14 to 16 AAV IMO

- and suppose somehow one is able to accommodate both matthews and nylander; then the depth will suffer even more so including D and goalie.

IMO its a shame that this team has not found a way to make it past the 1st round; and has gotten even slower this season -> early season struggles still on going IMO; even if both matthews and marner start producing back to last years' levels in the playoffs we just don't have the depth to counter other teams both in forwards and defense.

The hope merely lies in a gamble that either murray or samsonov will have hasek/roy type playoffs where they shut everything down.

another thing if i may; we still don't have a point shot on the PP. Both Rielly and Marner play ping pong with the puck but nobody is afraid of their shot. That becomes PP easy to defend. They haven't even addressed that. Leafs' special teams specially has been pretty discouraging in the playoffs. They have not addressed anything IMO; they are just "hoping" things will work out.

They can make me the GM/coach and I can hope things will work out too ;) :laugh:

actually I'd probably manage it better :sarcasm:

Last edited:

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
The Leafs are a good team, but they're still just a shell of what they could have been. They've consistently failed to score in the playoffs when it counts, and Dubas has constantly ignored that and continued to gut the team offensively. Now they can't even score in the regular season. They're a very reliable defensive team that can drive play, but they are just flat out hard to watch most nights. They're built around getting carried by 4 players offensively while everyone else is just there to not screw up, and that's just no way to build a team. Dubas has an atrocious vision and needs to go
How he has filled out the supporting cast is so awful and disappointing. In isolation each of the players are alright but when you combine them it's the biggest mix of vanilla and soft. Things we do not need to surround a core that isn't very physical in the first place

Engvall, Kerfoot, Jarnkrok. What's the difference between any of these guys? They're all cut from the same cloth. Soft, utility players who can't score. All they do is waste time and burn clock, there's nothing tough about facing them

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

- Dubas' contract is not renewed so IMO he should not be allowed to make any substantial changes to the team that might ruin team's future
- but at the same time both Matthews and Nylander are pending UFAs in 2024 (season after this) with their NTCs kicking in July 1, 2023. marner's NTC also kicks in at the same time even though he will be a pending UFA in 2025 (another :facepalm: worthy decision).

- no guarantee that matthews/nylander re-sign with us. And suppose they were willing to re-sign where is the cap going to come from? Nylander is at minimum 9AAV to 10 AAV player with the way he has performed; Matthews will probably be looking at 16 to 17 AAV IMO

- and suppose somehow one is able to accommodate both matthews and nylander; then the depth will suffer even more so including D and goalie.

IMO its a shame that this team has not found a way to make it past the 1st round; and has gotten even slower this season -> early season struggles still on going IMO; even if both matthews and marner start producing back to last years' levels in the playoffs we just don't have the depth to counter other teams both in forwards and defense.

The hope merely lies in a gamble that either murray or samsonov will have hasek/roy type playoffs where they shut everything down.

another thing if i may; we still don't have a point shot on the PP. Both Rielly and Marner play ping pong with the puck but nobody is afraid of their shot. That becomes PP easy to defend. They haven't even addressed that. Leafs' special teams specially has been pretty discouraging in the playoffs. They have not addressed anything IMO; they are just "hoping" things will work out.

They can make me the GM/coach and I can hope things will work out too ;) :laugh:

You re-sign Matthews and Nylander and the depth suffers for only 1 season until JT is up

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
How he has filled out the supporting cast is so awful and disappointing. In isolation each of the players are alright but when you combine them it's the biggest mix of vanilla and soft

Engvall, Kerfoot, Jarnkrok. What's the difference between any of these guys? They're all cut from the same cloth. Soft, utility players who can't score. All they do is waste time and burn clock
He's just lost, there's no way around it. I couldn't believe him praising Keefe for being purposeful in everything he does, the team looks the exact opposite. Nobody has a use besides the top 4 players, and only Nylander and Tavares have actually lived up to expectations.

His trading has also been the worst in the NHL. His big additions have been Kerfoot, Foligno, Campbell, and Muzzin. Kerfoot and his 1 goal this year are all we have to show for it. And out the other way has been Kadri, Moore (just had a hattrick), Durzi, Grundstrom, and 2 firsts.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You re-sign Matthews and Nylander and the depth suffers for only 1 season until JT is up

thats not going to free a lot of money.

Matthews+Nylander+Marner together would take about 8 to 11 million from JT's 11 million with Willy potentially getting a more substantial increase.

+3 to 4M for Willy
+3to4M for Matthews
+2to3M for Marner

range: 8M to 11M

And you have raises to Lily, Sandin; and definitely need competent goalie which will not come cheap.

And we will lose a 1-2 punch after JT i.e. need someone for 2nd line center; even if JT was to re-sign at league minimum I don't expect JT to produce by then and play 2C. That means you will require another solid winger (if Willy plays center) or /center.

In an ideal situtation when these raises are given the team has been battle tested either with a cup or with deep playoff runs; so far that is not the case.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

- no guarantee that matthews/nylander re-sign with us. And suppose they were willing to re-sign where is the cap going to come from? Nylander is at minimum 9AAV to 10 AAV player with the way he has performed; Matthews will probably be looking at 14 to 16 AAV IMO

Well I'm pretty sure we're just all armchair gms here lol.

I guess we just have differing opinions on some things but I don't come on here to get mad about it too often. As in I'm not now either lol.

We see it differently but I think on some points we agree such as...

No point shot... 100 % agree. Love Mo more than some but he's good. I think he'd be great on the 2nd pp as a distributor. Definitely need a point shot on pp1. Not sure if we have many options but I'd try Lilly there. I know some aren't big on him either but I think he's getting much better. There is just going to be growing pains sometimes.

I do think the goaltending is going to have to be really good and I think so far especially with the injuries it's been pretty solid. Murray seems to be settling and hopefully Sammy is back soon and comes back how he was playing. That'll help a lot.

I don't think the D is as bad as you think it is but they can use improvements forsure.

I'm praying the cap does that big jump this year though. If Kerfoot and Engvall walk which is likely... then you plug the holes with new young talent and the cap situation starts to look better.

Nylander at 10... maybe. Matty at 14 maybe. I don't think either go much more than that. A lot of money but cap is jumping a lot from what I saw.

Reality is some of the picks have to start hitting and I think some will.

To be honest there is so many variables in the next couple of off seasons. One thing is forsure... if they fail again like I said before then you'll probably get your wish.

In the mean time I still hope for them to do the best they can and Win a cup. That we can all agree on.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Holl(2AAV)+Kerfoot(3.5AAV)+Engvall(2.25AAV) all pending UFAs with total cap hit of 7.75; they all have zero accountability; especially Holl he has been an absolute mess. Did you see what he was doing on Devils' first goal?

7.75 of dead cap IMO just bodies used as fillers.

Sandin and Lily are young so I don't mind if they make mistakes because thats how they are going to learn. This is where a competent GM and coach would have an experienced NHLer as their D partner so they can cover for youngsters' mistakes and guide them.

They have a Sandin-Lily pairing going on right now because apparently holl can do no wrong.... :rolleyes:

in Game 4 Keefe as called out for playing Holl; and out of spite he kept playing Holl for the entire series against the bolts; and everyone saw Holl suck especially in Game 6 and Game 7 costing Leafs both games. But of course Holl can do no wrong and he has to continue playing to justify Dubas' protection of Holl.....

You can add Jarnkrok to that - 9.85m in guys who just don't really do a whole lot from night to night.

Not to mention the 4th line, which because of their contracts we can live with, but that line should not be getting shutdown duties. They got burried all night against NJs top line.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

I think this is a fair way to look at things.

Pro Dubas or Anti Dubas I think we can all see the flaws in the way this team has played so far this season. It's not nearly good enough. The certainly are not playing to their potential. But I would suspect this will change for a number of reasons. Biggest 1 being our big boys, Auston and Mitch, have largely been underperforming. Sure they are putting up points to a degree, but they are not dictating play at all like they did last season. I am going to go with history on this one, and assume that will change in due time. The other has been health. We've not exactly had the best health either. Murr, Sammy, Muzz, Timmy and Brodie have all missed time due to injury and Engvall and JT had limited camps.

This team really can't do a single thing to inspire confidence in us during the regular season anyways. It really will all come down to how they perform in May.

I am less worried about these games as a result. I will reserve my judgements for that time.

If they fail, I think we can all agree a cleaning of house is in order. If they succeed, fantastic!

As for now, I will continuer to cheer the squad on, and remain hopeful

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
If you have a loser mentality, go ahead and accept that sure.

For the rest of the fanbase who actually has expectations, no you we can't just accept that.

When you draft franchise-altering talent like Matthews and Marner and have the talent you have, you don't just "accept losing to a better team".
Fair statement. But when the rest of the roster has not been filled out properly to take advantage of that talent and you see other teams re-tools or rebuilds start to pass yours, you can accept the team is not good enough and will lose against better teams.

Is NJ better than the leafs this season on paper and on the ice? Their records would indicate that is the case. Individuals on that team have taken huge development strides. They appear to have a more balanced roster at this point and have taken a big step holistically. They play a great system as well. If we're seeing teams like NJ, Detroit, NYR, Seattle, jumping the leafs time line, ownership needs to consider a change. As you say, expectations are high.

At the same time it was a 3-2 loss in overtime. It was a close game. But when you consider the expectations and where the leafs are in their plan we should be winning these types of games. Unless they're just not good enough....

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
thats not going to free a lot of money.

Matthews+Nylander+Marner together would take about 8 to 11 million from JT's 11 million with Willy potentially getting a more substantial increase.

+3 to 4M for Willy
+3to4M for Matthews
+2to3M for Marner

range: 8M to 11M

And you have raises to Lily, Sandin; and definitely need competent goalie which will not come cheap.

And we will lose a 1-2 punch after JT i.e. need someone for 2nd line center; even if JT was to re-sign at league minimum I don't expect JT to produce by then and play 2C. That means you will require another solid winger (if Willy plays center) or /center.

In an ideal situtation when these raises are given the team has been battle tested either with a cup or with deep playoff runs; so far that is not the case.
Mitch will be moved this summer likely when they lose again .. JT will sign for minimum wage AAV or retire .. in da end i think it will be only Matty and Willy who survive here under new regime

Reactions: notDatsyuk

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
New Jersey has quite the 1-2 punch down the middle for the next decade

You get the skill/elite offense from Hughes + an excellent 2-way game from Hischier

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
To be fair, the Hughes and Hischer deals were huge gambles that paid off. They overpaid them while they were average, and they have lived up to and exceed those expectations.

Hard to compare those contracts to Matthews and Marner who were 40+ G and 90 + P players when their ELCs were up to Hischer and Hughes were similar players to Nylander around the same age.

Hughes was signed 8x8 after this

View attachment 609547

Hischer was signed 7x7 after this
View attachment 609549
You forgot to add the "flat cap" excuse that poor Kyle gets as well.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Well I'm pretty sure we're just all armchair gms here lol.

I guess we just have differing opinions on some things but I don't come on here to get mad about it too often. As in I'm not now either lol.

We see it differently but I think on some points we agree such as...

No point shot... 100 % agree. Love Mo more than some but he's good. I think he'd be great on the 2nd pp as a distributor. Definitely need a point shot on pp1. Not sure if we have many options but I'd try Lilly there. I know some aren't big on him either but I think he's getting much better. There is just going to be growing pains sometimes.

I do think the goaltending is going to have to be really good and I think so far especially with the injuries it's been pretty solid. Murray seems to be settling and hopefully Sammy is back soon and comes back how he was playing. That'll help a lot.

I don't think the D is as bad as you think it is but they can use improvements forsure.

I'm praying the cap does that big jump this year though. If Kerfoot and Engvall walk which is likely... then you plug the holes with new young talent and the cap situation starts to look better.

Nylander at 10... maybe. Matty at 14 maybe. I don't think either go much more than that. A lot of money but cap is jumping a lot from what I saw.

Reality is some of the picks have to start hitting and I think some will.

To be honest there is so many variables in the next couple of off seasons. One thing is forsure... if they fail again like I said before then you'll probably get your wish.

In the mean time I still hope for them to do the best they can and Win a cup. That we can all agree on.

I'd be the best Leafs GM in history ;)

:sarcasm:

:laugh:

Seriously though personally if Dubas had had any success nobody would be angry with him IMO including me. It is his lack of success and stubbornness to not address the obvious that has people ticked at him including Shanahan.

I hope the cap jumps significantly too but that may not be as big of an advantage IMO because that would mean other teams would also have more cap flexibility i.e. relative competition and team structure given the cap allocation would still be a point of contention moving forward.

Its the hockey philosophy at present that we have is something I do not agree with. I mean if we had results I would have kept my yap shut but I digress.... ;)

P.S. once again I am available for GM duties if MLSE is listening :laugh:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Mitch will be moved this summer likely when they lose again .. JT will sign for minimum wage AAV or retire .. in da end i think it will be only Matty and Willy who survive here under new regime

to be seen I guess. I am afraid that the new regime comes in and says "we are new, we have no preconceived notions we want to see how things are going, we will take our time to evaluate" but by then the NTCs have kicked in and high possibility of players walking as UFAs.

I think i might breathe a bit easy when both Matthews and Willy are re-signed; until then I'd be having chest pains :laugh:

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad