Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose in OT 4-3

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I think this forum has gone full tilt from "everything will be ok and lets run it all another year!" to "Trade everybody and fire everyone else" way too quickly.

And that's ME saying this.

Like, holy moly... there are some legit problems here. But they're the same as they've been been the past 5 years. The same problems I've CONSTANTLY called out.

I'm on board with making a big change. But I'm also on board with giving Dubas his last final year of his contract to see how it plays out.

But my god... some of the things I'm reading here about players/management borders on character assassination.
I’ve been soured on this team for years. I’m starting to come to the conclusion that nothing will change

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think this forum has gone full tilt from "everything will be ok and lets run it all another year!" to "Trade everybody and fire everyone else" way too quickly.

And that's ME saying this.

Like, holy moly... there are some legit problems here. But they're the same as they've been been the past 5 years. The same problems I've CONSTANTLY called out.

I'm on board with making a big change. But I'm also on board with giving Dubas his last final year of his contract to see how it plays out.

But my god... some of the things I'm reading here about players/management borders on character assassination.
They can’t let Dubas make any moves without approval from Shanny and the BoD.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
To me bottom line da team will rise or fall with Matty .. if he keeps improving like he started showing on Sunday night then we will be fine .. with secondary support from Wlly as 2C .. and hope Muzzy can recover to give us defensive D support with Brodie .. then Murray goes WALL like he did for Pens on their 1st cup run (basically a crap D too) with 5 10 bellers every night .. but that is really pushing it from where it looks right now
So we just need the guy who never succeeds as a centre to become a successful #2 centre, a declining oft injured defenseman to return to his 2020 form, and an even more often injured goalie to return to his 2017 form.

Well when you say it like that, what could go wrong? :eek3:

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Telling y'all, it's time for another rebuild. Get rid of management, top to bottom, it's all rotten.
You're going too far here, a re-tool is fine.

People are forgetting how hard it is to get elite talent. Just recently were the days of Kessel leading our offensive core. Are things in a good spot right now? No, of course not. But we can solve it with new management and a change to the core 4, imo

You build around Matthews, Tavares and one of Marner/Nylander. You ship out Murray, Muzzin, Kerfoot, Holl, Engvall and fill out the roster with players who can compliment our elite talent

The only way a rebuild should be the answer is if Matthews leaves. Otherwise we re-tool this offseason and usher in a new environment around the team

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
They can’t let Dubas make any moves without approval from Shanny and the BoD.
The likely scenario is the year plays out and Dubas isn't allowed to do anything big. No dealing firsts, no huge splash at the TDL etc.

Just see how it goes. If they fail as usual, you get rid of the management group and let the new one decide on how to re-tool the club

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You're going too far here, a re-tool is fine.

People are forgetting how hard it is to get elite talent. Just recently were the days of Kessel leading our offensive core. Are things in a good spot right now? No, of course not. But we can solve it with new management and a change to the core 4, imo

You build around Matthews, Tavares and one of Marner/Nylander. You ship out Murray, Muzzin, Kerfoot, Holl, Engvall and fill out the roster with players who can compliment our elite talent

The only way a rebuild should be the answer is if Matthews leaves. Otherwise we re-tool this offseason and usher in a new environment around the team
I think if AM and JT are the guys you are betting on than MM is the odd man out due to cap hit and Willie depends on the return package.
I just don’t see how you send 33mil of the cap on AM, MM and JT and still be a true contender. If those three forwards are McD, Drai and Mack or McD, Drai and AM, that’s another story.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The likely scenario is the year plays out and Dubas isn't allowed to do anything big. No dealing firsts, no huge splash at the TDL etc.

Just see how it goes. If they fail as usual, you get rid of the management group and let the new one decide on how to re-tool the club
I don’t know bro. What if the current team are in first by TDL, would you still block Dubas moves at the TDL? Conversely, what if the team continue to tank, do you still keep Dubas to trade UFAs and plan for the draft? Drafting BPA in the mid rounds is about setting direction on how the team will play, thus having scouts look into and spend more time on certain type of players. Dubas’ vision focus more on skills than size and power, that’s why most guys Dubas drafted are usually skills over skating, size, power…

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Willy is the one you keep over Marner.

Mitch doesn't have the emotional maturity to handle playing for the team he loves. It might be better for both team and player for him to get a fresh start elsewhere.
I actually think that might be good for MM. Then when he finishes this current contract and hopefully be more mature, he comes back to the Leafs and win the Cup. The headline being the prodigal son returns.

Reactions: makbeer

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I think if AM and JT are the guys you are betting on than MM is the odd man out due to cap hit and Willie depends on the return package.
I just don’t see how you send 33mil of the cap on AM, MM and JT and still be a true contender. If those three forwards are McD, Drai and Mack or McD, Drai and AM, that’s another story.
I mean, in an ideal world I get rid of JT and don't think twice. But his NMC is a big issue and leads to us moving one of Nylander/Marner

It probably ends up with Mitch being moved, but if we do this we have to be very careful. I know everyone is mad at him (understandably), but he's a 90-100 point winger who has a very good two-way game. You cannot afford to mess up the return for him

I agree with Willy being moved not moving the needle too much. He's worth his money and makes a fair amount. The only concern is does he leave once his contract is up?

I don’t know bro. What if the current team are in first by TDL, would you still block Dubas moves at the TDL? Conversely, what if the team continue to tank, do you still keep Dubas to trade UFAs and plan for the draft? Drafting BPA in the mid rounds is about setting direction on how the team will play, thus having scouts look into and spend more time on certain type of players. Dubas’ vision focus more on skills than size and power, that’s why most guys Dubas drafted are usually skills over skating, size, power…
Even if the team is in first, I don't think I allow us to make big moves at the deadline. The issues are so prevalent with this team that I can't trust them to push through until they do it

On the flip side, if we're dropping I would be fine with dealing UFAs, just no big trades. Dealing the Kerfoot's or Envgall's of the world isn't a big deal, imo

Reactions: arso40

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I mean, in an ideal world I get rid of JT and don't think twice. But his NMC is a big issue and leads to us moving one of Nylander/Marner

It probably ends up with Mitch being moved, but if we do this we have to be very careful. I know everyone is mad at him (understandably), but he's a 90-100 point winger who has a very good two-way game. You cannot afford to mess up the return for him

I agree with Willy being moved not moving the needle too much. He's worth his money and makes a fair amount. The only concern is does he leave once his contract is up?
Me too. JT is a goner if I have to choose. But doubt he waives esp if Dubas is in charge. If Masai is in charge, that’s a different story, as I can see Masai convinces JT to waive his NTC.

After the Tkachuk trade which Panthers literally hold all the cards, and still ended up sending Hubie, arguably the top LW in the game, Weegar, a top pairing RHD who plays on the Left side but can play on the right side too, and a 1st rounder for Tkachuk. I don’t see how MM can not get the same deal or better as MM is a better player than Tkachuk.
I proposed a Blues deal on the trade thread, MM, Kerfoot and Holl for Tank, ROR, Bortozzo and 1st.
I really think it will be something like that. Whoever coming back will be as talented as MM but older.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Mitch doesn't have the emotional maturity to handle playing for the team he loves. It might be better for both team and player for him to get a fresh start elsewhere.
I can see Willy wanting to stay in Toronto because there’s no pressure, but I expect he sign in a market where he can easily blend in and there’s no threat of long playoff runs.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

There’s no threat of him doing anything big anyway. His record is so horrendous, they shouldn't let him trade any assets, particularly draft picks, even if they’re almost guaranteed a playoff spot at the TDL.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Me too. JT is a goner if I have to choose. But doubt he waives esp if Dubas is in charge. If Masai is in charge, that’s a different story, as I can see Masai convinces JT to waive his NTC.

After the Tkachuk trade which Panthers literally hold all the cards, and still ended up sending Hubie, arguably the top LW in the game, Weegar, a top pairing RHD who plays on the Left side but can play on the right side too, and a 1st rounder for Tkachuk. I don’t see how MM can not get the same deal or better as MM is a better player than Tkachuk.
I proposed a Blues deal on the trade thread, MM, Kerfoot and Holl for Tank, ROR, Bortozzo and 1st.
I really think it will be something like that. Whoever coming back will be as talented as MM but older.
5 yrs ago, sure, but they’re too old now.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009

Willy actually tries to improve during the off season, his contract isn't absurd, and I can't recall him acting like a child on the bench.

Mitch has to go, he is 10000% detrimental to this team.

Reactions: makbeer

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes, he’d need approval before any move, even concession workers.

They should already be conducting a preliminary search and if they’re out it by Thanksgiving, he’s gone.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
There’s no threat of him doing anything big anyway. His record is so horrendous, they shouldn't let him trade any assets, particularly draft picks, even if they’re almost guaranteed a playoff spot at the TDL.

Rumour is Leafs did not want to give up one of their few picks in this year's draft for Bear. The noose is tightening on the Boy Wonder.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Rumour is Leafs did not want to give up one of their few picks in this year's draft for Bear. The noose is tightening on the Boy Wonder.
I think what probably happened on that one was they kicked tires because they suddenly had cap space with Muzzin likely done. But, when I really considered it when he was available, I said to myself Muzzin being out saves a lot of cap space. They could pull in a really good player. Is Bear good enough to chew up that amount of space when they could land a big fish or two instead even if they have to pay more in terms of assets? I landed on no and I think they did too.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad