Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-2

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
For the record, when people talk about the media microscope in Montreal, a lot of it is localized, in part because much of it is in a different language.
There is nowhere that comes close to Toronto.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
The teams play over March has really turned me off. Really not interested in the rest of the regular season, but even for the playoffs it's just a meh feeling. I'm not seeing another gear from this team. Maybe that will bod well this year as every year prior I've been optimistic. It'd be nice the one year I'm not they get it done.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Bruins don’t take their foot off the gas pedal. They have won the presidents trophy for about 2 months ago, they have a few injuries too but they just aren’t letting up. Compared to the Leafs it’s night and day.

I just wish the Leafs played with such urgency whether the opponent is a top tier team or a bottom feeder out of the playoffs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yep. Tripping/interference incidents that were accidental get called all the time as penalties too but this one apparently gets a pass?
Probably didn't get a clear view of what happened.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The teams play over March has really turned me off. Really not interested in the rest of the regular season, but even for the playoffs it's just a meh feeling. I'm not seeing another gear from this team. Maybe that will bod well this year as every year prior I've been optimistic. It'd be nice the one year I'm not they get it done.
You mean the afterglow of November has faded already? o_O

Seriously though, I'm starting to feel the same way. I tend to err on the side of optimism, I loved what they did at the TDL, on paper this is the best Leaf team I've ever seen and yet, their play in March was just so uninspiring. I mean the playoffs are a new season yada yada yada but still, it's hard to expect a team that plays so listlessly with the playoffs right around the corner can just flip a switch and start playing the game the right way then the playoffs start.

Bruins don’t take their foot off the gas pedal. They have won the presidents trophy for about 2 months ago, they have a few injuries too but they just aren’t letting up. Compared to the Leafs it’s night and day.

I just wish the Leafs played with such urgency whether the opponent is a top tier team or a bottom feeder out of the playoffs.
Yup.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Potentially.

But from this replay, looks as if two refs could/should have been able to see it. One seems to be staring right at Murray when the contact go happens

It's hard to say what they are looking at from that. They may have seen him slide in but not seen why he wasn't on his feet.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Probably didn't get a clear view of what happened.
The ref is literally staring directly at it.
It gets really tiring reading how you guys think refs and the league are against Toronto.
It's way more tiring reading people refuse to acknowledge the obvious facts right in front of their eyes, and make endless excuses for objectively bad officiating.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think people that are insinuating that there is a ref bias against Toronto are just plain wrong. It gets really tiring reading how you guys think refs and the league are against Toronto. I guess that excuse is ready to go should the TB series goes sideways on us.

I don't think theres necessarily a grand league conspiracy against the Leafs as a team - BUT the league officiating has opened themselves up for considerable criticism about the extreme subjectivity and lack of consistency in class (and in general their "game management" pattern of penalty distribution).

It's not just Leafs fans who have been raising this concern either. It's been a long time coming, and imo has nothing to do with Tampa. It's also fairly obvious imo that certain players, some (like Bunting)tl treated differently on calls

It's hard to say what they are looking at from that. They may have seen him slide in but not seen why he wasn't on his feet.

13 seconds into the replay he's looking right at Murray.... There's nothing in his way either. Even a quick glance should make it fairly obvious what happened.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yep. Tripping/interference incidents that were accidental get called all the time as penalties too but this one apparently gets a pass?
i missed this part of the game….how in the heck did he not get a penalty? It wasn’t intentionally but 99% of penalties are not intended.

Reactions: Menzinger

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I don't think theres necessarily a grand league conspiracy against the Leafs as a team - BUT the league officiating has opened themselves up for considerable criticism about the extreme subjectivity and lack of consistency in class (and in general their "game management" pattern of penalty distribution).

It's not just Leafs fans who have been raising this concern either. It's been a long time coming, and imo has nothing to do with Tampa. It's also fairly obvious imo that certain players, some (like Bunting)tl treated differently on calls

13 seconds into the replay he's looking right at Murray.... There's nothing in his way either. Even a quick glance should make it fairly obvious what happened.
I would assume that it wasn't called it's because it wasn't seen or the ref realized the player lost an edge.
I have seen many times where a player loses an edge and slides into the net not being called. It happens.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
The ref is literally staring directly at it.

It's way more tiring reading people refuse to acknowledge the obvious facts right in front of their eyes, and make endless excuses for objectively bad officiating.

tell me you see the irony of refusing to acknowledge the obvious facts right in front of your eyes, and your constant endless excuses for objectively bad Leafs coaching and management.

you sure can suck and blow at the same time.

Reactions: GoonieFace

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
They've won 3 in a row.

the same amount of points in the last 10...

Because we keep hiring the wrong people I'd imagine.

Lou Lam was the first time we hired someone worthwhile in God knows how long. Then Shanny thought f*** that, I'm gonna go with this car salesman. It's our own fault. I have no sympathy for ourselves. We deserve it.

Lou was worthwhile? haha

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
For the record, when people talk about the media microscope in Montreal, a lot of it is localized, in part because much of it is in a different language.
There is nowhere that comes close to Toronto.

The worst of Montreal media is indecipherable to most of the rest of the continent. If Nick Suzuki gets called the next Bergeron on RDS or some French paper complains about the refereeing no one outside of Quebec gives a shit because they can’t understand it.

And since most eyes that watch Montreal are through the French feed Friedman and company on Sportsnet don’t cover them with the same microscopes as Toronto, so you don’t get segments say about Chiarot’s cross-checking and how it could lead to a penalty like Sportsnet is trying to manifest with their constant talk about Murray and Samsonov accidentally knocking the net off.

Reactions: Metroid

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Looked legit to me.
He took a pretty good flop and when you have a reputation as a diver it’s a pretty easy call.
I imagine the misconduct was because he wouldn’t shut up about it.
I was at the game - he got cross-checked twice, held down the second time . . . and got called for diving because he got cross-checked.

It was a horr-awful call. Ridiculous call simply made on reputation (although it's only Leaf players who get called on reputation - Marchand gets all the calls against us but that's another story)

Reactions: Al14 and authentic

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I was at the game - he got cross-checked twice, held down the second time . . . and got called for diving because he got cross-checked.

It was a horr-awful call. Ridiculous call simply made on reputation (although it's only Leaf players who get called on reputation - Marchand gets all the calls against us but that's another story)
Yes they called the initial cross check. Find the replay if you can, it was a pretty good flop the 2nd time and like you say he does have a reputation, a well earned one. He wasn't called for diving, he was called for embellishment.

I'm pretty sure I've seen players on other teams penalized for embellishment. This isn't exclusive to the Leafs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teeder Keon

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Not a Leaf fan-but players get called all the time for accidental trips, high sticking, delay of game. The player is responsible for what he does and there should have been an interference penalty. As to the injury that was just bad luck and probably should be no further sanction...

Reactions: Al14 and Nineteen67

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You mean the afterglow of November has faded already? o_O

Seriously though, I'm starting to feel the same way. I tend to err on the side of optimism, I loved what they did at the TDL, on paper this is the best Leaf team I've ever seen and yet, their play in March was just so uninspiring. I mean the playoffs are a new season yada yada yada but still, it's hard to expect a team that plays so listlessly with the playoffs right around the corner can just flip a switch and start playing the game the right way then the playoffs start.

Yup.

They haven't put together consecutive solid performances since the trade deadline. I guess with ROR back and Samsonov being the go to guy perhaps we get on a good roll and put the first series to bed before game 6. If it goes any longer than that I'll be prepared for the worst.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
tell me you see the irony of refusing to acknowledge the obvious facts right in front of your eyes, and your constant endless excuses for objectively bad Leafs coaching and management.
I haven't refused to acknowledge any facts, and what you mistake for excuses is actually correcting objectively false claims about our coaching and management.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Potentially.

But from this replay, looks as if two refs could/should have been able to see it. One seems to be staring right at Murray when the contact go happens

Looks like they saw the play fine, realized the player just lost an edge, and made the correct non-call.

Reactions: myleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad