Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Hopefully, he only does hockey trades and doesn't overpay for a rental.
I hope so too. We’ll see what happens.

Well they did all play the Bruins, you’re not denying that are you? If you mean outplayed, I believe they did in the 2nd and 3rd. At worst played them even.
Lol yeah, I just noticed the typo now. I meant “outplayed”. Not “All played” 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Just watched the game. Was fun to watch.

The Simmonds Foligno fight was amazing. One of the better scraps we've ben in awhile. Good to see Wayne train still has it.

Overall Matthews looked good. He's playing through something but he's managing it well.

As much as I hate the Bruins I really respect what they've done.

Mo is a serious issue for this team and organization. I don't know how you switch gears and walk away at this point but it may have to happen. It's obvious to anyone who's not wearing Mo blinders that this team was much better defensively without him. I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after an injury but we've seen this from Mo his entire career. We know what he is. It's not what this team needs or can afford during these championship potential years. Really don't know how they approach this but if this is their window to win, it needs to be addressed asap.
I've been saying this ad nauseum but get chewed out all the time. He is a huge defensive liability we can do without. We will never go far with him as our #1...Oh well, hopefully if/when we get new mgmt they can see him for what he is and decide.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Bruins fans a little insecure about this win it seems. Coming in here liking our posts lmao
I am a Bruins fan. I have had ST at the Boston Garden for 20 years. Of all of the visiting fans the Leafs have the most. I have never met a Toronto fan that I did not like (yet). BTW...I sit on the tunnel where the Bs come out right next to the Bs backup netminder. second row (from the ice)

Last night my usual seatmate was sick, so we sold one ticket on the exchange. I had NO idea who purchased the seat. It was a tall guy with a Leaf jersey on. He was attending Harvard Law School. Wicked nice kid (I am 70). He stood up and cheered when the Leafs scored, and I did the same for the Bs. He stayed until the end and saw the "goalie hug". He will be moving back to Toronto when he graduates this year. nice kid.

We also sold that seat for tomorrow's game. The Flyers are in town. I am sure there are nice Flyer fans but in 20 years I have yet to meet one. I hope a Bruins fan bought the seat...or the nice kid who was wearing the Leaf jersey :)

Not all Bruins fans hate the Leafs. I do want the Bs to win. You have a good team.

BTW.....I am not insecure...I am just retired and have extra time and like to read other teams GDTs.

I was on the edge of my seat hoping my boys would pull it off last night. Good Game.

Best of luck (except vs the Bs)

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I take it that you said the exact same thing about the Bruins when we beat them earlier this season?
I don't know were their fans celebrating a close loss? It's not that we can't beat them it's that we're somehow celebrating playing relatively ok against the bruins. Same thing with the Tampa series. I can guarantee you after their loss to us their fans weren't patting themselves on the back for only losing by 1

Back end of a competition window? If we're on the back end, what's Boston? Three of their 4 best players are in their mid to late 30's...

Boston is pretty obviously all in on this year or nothing.

Considering the contracts coming up and the impending departure of willy I would say we're coming close to the end of the window for this group

Last edited:

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I don't know were their fans celebrating a close loss? It's not that we can't beat them it's that we're somehow celebrating playing relatively ok against the bruins. Same thing with the Tampa series. I can guarantee you after their loss to us their fans weren't patting themselves on the back for only losing by 1

Boston is pretty obviously all in on this year or nothing.

Considering the contracts coming up and the impending departure of willy I would say we're coming close to the end of the window for this group
Nah, with Muzzin and Kerfoot coming off the books and the cap looking like a steady increase in the next 2-5 years we'll be good. I wouldn't be surprised if we trade Samsonov for a nice package in return and then run with Murray / Woll going forward will also help with our cap.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Nah, with Muzzin and Kerfoot coming off the books and the cap looking like a steady increase in the next 2-5 years we'll be good. I wouldn't be surprised if we trade Samsonov for a nice package in return and then run with Murray / Woll going forward will also help with our cap.

Uncle Gary ain't gonna let that cap go up too much

It's supposed to go up 25 and he's appearently gonna lockout the players for 60/40 gotta pay for his yotes fetish somehow.

We're still gonna need the Muzzin replacement but we will have a little bit of wiggle room, until Matthews willy and Mitch come up

Rubyblue

Apr 13, 2021
On the first goal Tavares had his man and stopped skating, leaving him wide open to receive the pass and score. Similar to the first goal against Detroit. Yes, there were other factors, but if he had stayed with Bergeron he would not have scored.

Fourth Boston goal started with a bad turnover by Tavares at his own blueline late in a tie game.
As bad as Reilly's & Timmons turnovers were, Tavaras's was worst. A minute to go, tie game, veteran player with full possession loses the Puck at his own blue line. Can't happen.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
We lost a tight one goal game to the team running train on the entire league....in January. It has no correlation on what will happen in April. Zero. It was a good test but win or lose that game it doesn't change our outlook in the playoffs. We just made a couple really dumb mistakes and they took advantage. Note it and move on to the next games. They are 100% beatable. Not scared of em.
I agree basically but the correlation with what will happen in the playoffs is that infractions even more blatant than McAvoy’s chop on the Bunting breakaway will go uncalled and the Leafs will have to overcome their disadvantage w/r/t how they play and generate chances vs what opponents are permitted to do the defend them. When the broadcast described a playoff style atmosphere during this game I was thinking well yeah it’s playoff rules

Reactions: Dayjobdave

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
We're on the back end of a competition window and supposed to be competing for the cup

Playing the Bruins tough and getting the loss shouldn't be a cause for celebration

They also beat us in basically every statistical category...
fwiw natural statrick has us basically even in 'expected goals' even with the EN miss/flub at the end and obviously this doesn't include the chance that would have resulted from the turnover where they got bailed out by the phantom trip call on Marner. xGF% 51.48 to 48.52. well ahead at 5v5 on this metric too, again for what it's worth.

I guess I can see why observers think we were handily beaten but I saw it as a dreadfully close game where the Leafs gave as good as they got and definitely got the short end of a few calls (I thought it was a hit from behind on Lilje too). anyway I definitely did not celebrate the loss but I was proud of how the team played and thought they deserved at least a point.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketman588

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Just watched the game. Was fun to watch.

The Simmonds Foligno fight was amazing. One of the better scraps we've ben in awhile. Good to see Wayne train still has it.

Overall Matthews looked good. He's playing through something but he's managing it well.

As much as I hate the Bruins I really respect what they've done.

Mo is a serious issue for this team and organization. I don't know how you switch gears and walk away at this point but it may have to happen. It's obvious to anyone who's not wearing Mo blinders that this team was much better defensively without him. I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after an injury but we've seen this from Mo his entire career. We know what he is. It's not what this team needs or can afford during these championship potential years. Really don't know how they approach this but if this is their window to win, it needs to be addressed asap.
Unfortunately dubas gave him a no move clause. Thanks uncle dubie

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Reilly was brutal tonight. he was probably calling for the puck from Timmins on that bad pass across lol.
Timmins makes a horrible pass leading to a goal against, and somehow it's arbitrarily decided that it's actually all Rielly's fault for existing.
Sounds about right for this forum these days.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
fwiw natural statrick has us basically even in 'expected goals' even with the EN miss/flub at the end and obviously this doesn't include the chance that would have resulted from the turnover where they got bailed out by the phantom trip call on Marner. xGF% 51.48 to 48.52. well ahead at 5v5 on this metric too, again for what it's worth.

I guess I can see why observers think we were handily beaten but I saw it as a dreadfully close game where the Leafs gave as good as they got and definitely got the short end of a few calls (I thought it was a hit from behind on Lilje too). anyway I definitely did not celebrate the loss but I was proud of how the team played and thought they deserved at least a point.
While I disagree with the "short end of the calls", I think we were at least as good, and lost due to a couple of mistakes they capitalized on.

Reactions: leafs in five

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
While I disagree with the "short end of the calls", I think we were at least as good, and lost due to a couple of mistakes they capitalized on.

That wasn't close to the best the Leafs can play, and possibly the Bruins could be better, but they had home ice and GB advantage.

Leafs gave away 2 goals, completely unearned goals.

Bruins are good and when you're good, luck helps.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Pretty decent hockey game in my books .. Bruins were slightly better team but it was a close game .. if JT and Rielly can up their individual games then we might be able to beat them .. Rielly is getting better every game he plays in his conditioning .. people who played junior, minor pro or in da show realize how big an effort it is to come back from his injury without conditioning time at level below .. but we can't have him with Timmer for sure as he can't cover for him defensively .. Brodie is da better option .. JT is staying at same pace but league picks up pace of games after XMAS so he is looking slow to most of you again .. and it will only get worse as playoffs approach and then again in playoffs - speed kills when you don't have it .. but that pass was not an issue of speed it was just a very poor decision late in a game which should never happen from a vet captain .. even though we were slightly outplayed we should have got a point and that is all on JT .. sad but true

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Thats my hope re Goaltending. If we could turn Samsonov into an asset and promoted Woll thats ideal (assuming hes ready and he does look to be)

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad