Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Overall a good game against the vest team in the league.

Playing Timmins up the lineup is stupid. Dude was hardly NHL calibre his whole career, now he's playing way too much mins.

Wish we had fully healthy Brodie/Muzzin

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
We lost a tight one goal game to the team running train on the entire league....in January. It has no correlation on what will happen in April. Zero. It was a good test but win or lose that game it doesn't change our outlook in the playoffs. We just made a couple really dumb mistakes and they took advantage. Note it and move on to the next games. They are 100% beatable. Not scared of em.
Yeah I'm not concerned about it. A very good team beat a very good team. Just need to fix the mistakes which were our own doing honestly and Rielly to at least bring the positives he does have

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Just watched the game. Was fun to watch.

The Simmonds Foligno fight was amazing. One of the better scraps we've ben in awhile. Good to see Wayne train still has it.

Overall Matthews looked good. He's playing through something but he's managing it well.

As much as I hate the Bruins I really respect what they've done.

Mo is a serious issue for this team and organization. I don't know how you switch gears and walk away at this point but it may have to happen. It's obvious to anyone who's not wearing Mo blinders that this team was much better defensively without him. I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after an injury but we've seen this from Mo his entire career. We know what he is. It's not what this team needs or can afford during these championship potential years. Really don't know how they approach this but if this is their window to win, it needs to be addressed asap.

Reactions: geo25

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Overall a good game against the vest team in the league.

Playing Timmins up the lineup is stupid. Dude was hardly NHL calibre his whole career, now he's playing way too much mins.

Wish we had fully healthy Brodie/Muzzin
I thought he made a lot of really good plays, Rielly didn't give him much of a chance at times.
His first pass is probably the best on the team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I thought he made a lot of really good plays, Rielly didn't give him much of a chance at times.
His first pass is probably the best on the team.

I think a guy like Timmins has a ton of potential but don’t want to fall in the trap of nurturing and enabling the higher risk aspects of his game too soon. Particularly with that cross ice on the blueline to Rielly it felt like maybe that was too much confidence at play leading to something truly boneheaded. You see similar things happen with Holl when he struggles. He has it in his head he can make all these plays - which he can’t - and it burns him. Keep it simple and choose your spots.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
I think a guy like Timmins has a ton of potential but don’t want to fall in the trap of nurturing and enabling the higher risk aspects of his game too soon. Particularly with that cross ice on the blueline to Rielly it felt like maybe that was too much confidence at play leading to something truly boneheaded. You see similar things happen with Holl when he struggles. He has it in his head he can make all these plays - which he can’t - and it burns him. Keep it simple and choose your spots.
I agree. So much that I think Morgan has to k.i.s.s. it up too. He needs to move to the overall leafs d play a little more.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That was certainly a bad play, all defenders make those dumb plays at times.
There is a pretty big gap between Timmins ability with the puck and Holls, huge gap.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That was certainly a bad play, all defenders make those dumb plays at times.
There is a pretty big gap between Timmins ability with the puck and Holls, huge gap.

Yeah I think he can be an impact offensive defenseman but just needs more time logged and experience before you can trust him with a long leash to make lower percentage plays. Just don’t try Tucson stuff at Boston Garden.

Reactions: ACC1224

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Just watched the game. Was fun to watch.

The Simmonds Foligno fight was amazing. One of the better scraps we've ben in awhile. Good to see Wayne train still has it.

Overall Matthews looked good. He's playing through something but he's managing it well.

As much as I hate the Bruins I really respect what they've done.

Mo is a serious issue for this team and organization. I don't know how you switch gears and walk away at this point but it may have to happen. It's obvious to anyone who's not wearing Mo blinders that this team was much better defensively without him. I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after an injury but we've seen this from Mo his entire career. We know what he is. It's not what this team needs or can afford during these championship potential years. Really don't know how they approach this but if this is their window to win, it needs to be addressed asap.
I agree with the bolded. Think back to when this team played the best this season. They were playing it safe defensively, making smart intelligent passes in their own zone, and gambled much less than they are now. Is it a coincidence that they stopped playing this way when Rielly came back? I think not. Rielly knows he has deficiencies on the defensive side (at least I think he does) and he tries to compensate by forcing the issue on the offensive side. He's not a #1 defenceman and he is closing in on being a Jake Gardner, a lost cause on defence and a wild card on offence. Either he changes his game, or as you mention, it may be time to move on.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
This Boston team is the luckiest team in the history of all sports. They honestly suck and are pretty much the biggest joke in sports. If they win the cup I’ll eat my own balls.
Very lucky win as usual for a garbage team of over the hill veterans, pending ufa and other assorted castoffs.
For the record, to the multiple bruins fans that seem to be liking my post. It’s obviously a joke, hence the eat my own balls part. Humour helped to get over the immediate bitterness of losing that game so close to the end. No shit the bruins are a monster team.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
We're on the back end of a competition window and supposed to be competing for the cup

Playing the Bruins tough and getting the loss shouldn't be a cause for celebration

They also beat us in basically every statistical category...
Back end of a competition window? If we're on the back end, what's Boston? Three of their 4 best players are in their mid to late 30's...

Eddo22

Sep 22, 2015
Why are the Bruins the best team? If the Leafs had home ice advantage and the refs in their pocket they would have steam rolled the Bruins, none of this 1 goal stuff.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
he has "zero" goals entire season btw.... he has played 29 games till now. thats something huh? i think after he signed the contract he just partied and did not put in the work in the summer
After he signed the contract he went and did the idiotic thing of getting engaged. I've noticed guys play distracted during big life events which makes complete sense. We've all been at work and been completely distracted by our personal lives for sometimes long periods, NHLers aren't immune to this.

• Haha
Reactions: leafs in five

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Pizzas up the middle kill this team, both Rielly and Timmins should be taken to task. They cost us the game. Simple as that. Murray not great either.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Rielly, Timmins and Tavares…Boston’s 3 stars of the game
Ya, I just rewatched the game, the 4th goal was Tavares with an easy breakout pass out of the xone and put it right on the Bruins stick, 15 seconds later with an exhausted D (the forwards changed while Gio held it behind the net) it was in the back of our net.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Murray needed to be better but that was a horrible turnover
3 bad goals. Sure it's just one game. Game 7 is just one game.

Anyways. We hung in there toe to toe. Had we recieved better goaltending, we could have easily one
We dominated the 3rd period

Boston is a very beatable team
agreed
Let’s not overreact, we’re it not for Ullmat
I really don't get the people saying the Bruins vastly outplayed us and that we're not on their level

We won the first game 2-1 and this one was 4-3 with a GWG occurring with a minute left lmao. Boston poured shots on in the first, but after that I felt we had the better chances and limited them pretty well.

The issue imo is it was a 50/50 game between two great teams and we lost. Stop me when you've heard this happen to the Leafs
yes, a voice of reason who watched the same game I did.
Fun game. Both teams are pretty even. Another playoff series is 100% going to game 7 again. Also I love Dryden hunt. I think he 100% needs to be in a playoff lineup.

I think it's imperative to have physical players against the bruins. I didn't think we looked intimidated at all tonight.

Breath of fresh air for sure. Sucks we couldn't come out with the 2 points
well said, we didn’t look intimidated
we actually outhit them

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Pizzas up the middle kill this team, both Rielly and Timmins should be taken to task. They cost us the game. Simple as that. Murray not great either.

1673812007410.png

Wonder if Morgan regrets doing this ad. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Cleetus

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
First game against the Bruins was a defensive showcase. I was ecstatic seeing how responsible the Leafs defensive game was in that game.

However, the past month Leafs have stride away from that style of play and are back to how they usually are. Especially this game with 3 brutal egregius turnovers that made everything seem nothing has changed. It felt like a playoff game because that's how the Leafs play in the playoffs. High entertaining danger chances going back and forth with the inevitable terrible outcome. Rinse and repeat.

I really hope they change back to that responsible play they did have. It's possible cause we ve see it. It's there. Funny enough, we were responsible when we had a lot of dmen hurt.
Funny how it kinda coincides with Rielly’s return.

Reactions: HofT and ULF_55

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
It’s the word some posters use when they have no legit position to argue or defence for the short comings of the current make up of the team.
Exactly!!!

We know we are playing them. If we lose first round it’s curtains and Dubas knows it. His best bet is a big trade.

Samsonov or bust
This is why I'm afraid that Kyle is going to do something stupid at the deadline to try to save his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad