Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-1 to Columbus

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Yet...there were still a number of folk on here upset we didnt re sign bolland and also disapointed in the kessel trade

Still too early to call the Kessel trade. Could be that none of the picks/prospects pan out and Kessel is just having an off season.

So glad we didn't sign Bolland though. I was sort of hoping we could get him, until I saw the amount he signed for. At half of that, it might have been reasonable.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Because he's a terrible player. We literally gave him 5.25M per year because of 1 fluke season. He was always a 3rd liner beforehand.

a 3rd liner that was a liability defensively, no less.

It's funny - there were 2 horrific FA signings that I just knew we were going to make even a full year before they went down. I knew we were going to be the suckers that paid big money for Komi, and the ones that signed Clarkson. I could also see the Schenn pick coming a mile away. They were all such obvious Leaf moves, and to some of us such obvious disasters even before they went down.

gahd am I glad to have smart hockey people back in charge.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yet...there were still a number of folk on here upset we didnt re sign bolland and also disapointed in the kessel trade

I'm still not a fan of the kessel trade. Though not quite as angry as i was then.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
a 3rd liner that was a liability defensively, no less.

It's funny - there were 2 horrific FA signings that I just knew we were going to make even a full year before they went down. I knew we were going to be the suckers that paid big money for Komi, and the ones that signed Clarkson. I could also see the Schenn pick coming a mile away. They were all such obvious Leaf moves, and to some of us such obvious disasters even before they went down.

gahd am I glad to have smart hockey people back in charge.

NHL: Here's 2 compliance buyouts to rid yourselves of bad contracts..
Nonis: Let's use both to free up some $ to sign David Clarkson for 7 years.

Where did we go wrong? :sarcasm:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I can't get excited about either direction. When they win it's like so what, when they lose, I'm just daydreaming of June and July moves.

OvenMittz*

I'm not going to lie to everyone, i when I heard clarkson was coming here I thought it was a great move for the intangibles he would bring. But I wasn't happy with the money he got.

Also he brought none of those intangibles here which was a disappointment. He couldn't even keep up with the big boys in a fight. And was barely the agitator he once was.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I can't get excited about either direction. When they win it's like so what, when they lose, I'm just daydreaming of June and July moves.

Same here.

If we're winning:
-Meaningless wins moving higher in the standings
-A lot of non-core pieces are putting up the points
-Our UFA's price tags increase

Losing:
-Bad for culture
-Rough on core players
-Value of the players get tanked

I'll take my negative shades off

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Same here.

If we're winning:
-Meaningless wins moving higher in the standings
-A lot of non-core pieces are putting up the points
-Our UFA's price tags increase

Losing:
-Bad for culture
-Rough on core players
-Value of the players get tanked

I'll take my negative shades off

why would OUR UFA price tags increase? we aren't keeping any of them.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm not going to lie to everyone, i when I heard clarkson was coming here I thought it was a great move for the intangibles he would bring. But I wasn't happy with the money he got.

Also he brought none of those intangibles here which was a disappointment. He couldn't even keep up with the big boys in a fight. And was barely the agitator he once was.

Same.
I saw us upgrading overall on a team that seemed to be a few character players away.
Bolland and Clarkson, at the time, seemed like perfect pieces to our team. Saw Clarkson as a Komarov upgrade (when he left) and Bolland as a Grabovski upgrade - boy was I wrong!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

mee either. I remember a lot of people wanting him heer.

his contracted sucked banana butt though and Nonis shoulda said "no. we can't justify that." but he + Loiselle basically gave him the candy store. and I defended him pretty much until it was obvious the man sucked.

Feb 26th needs to be a national holiday or something.

OvenMittz*

mee either. I remember a lot of people wanting him heer.

his contracted sucked banana butt though and Nonis shoulda said "no. we can't justify that." but he + Loiselle basically gave him the candy store. and I defended him pretty much until it was obvious the man sucked.

Feb 26th needs to be a national holiday or something.

Yea I guess that's the punishment you receive for judging a player based on 1 yr and not his body of work.. Clarkson would of been great of he was the NJ version.. But even then he was still an over payment.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
If were talking about past moves, i was happy with the kessel trade and still am, would have been better if we got a 2nd instead of Harrington tbh but its ok. I didnt want Bolland back at all because it leaked he was looking for 5M and term.

However I'll admit it I was happy with the Clarkson signing because he was the #1 fa and my bias got in the way. I always hoped he'd play well and looked at the positives but soon gave up on him after he was playing at an AHL level.

@x66 i see Leivo as a third line NHL player right NOW with the potential to be a top six forward, pretty much a Lupul.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Same.
I saw us upgrading overall on a team that seemed to be a few character players away.
Bolland and Clarkson, at the time, seemed like perfect pieces to our team. Saw Clarkson as a Komarov upgrade (when he left) and Bolland as a Grabovski upgrade - boy was I wrong!

Would you take Grabovski back for next season?

OvenMittz*

Would you take Grabovski back for next season?

Lol... No.

Nothing personal to Grabo but that ship has sailed.. He also went public and acted like a child about how pissed he was at Carlye. You just don't flip out like that just because you do not agree with your coach.

I remember him trying to score an open net goal in the playoffs rather than taking it to center and it coated us an iceing that almost lost the game.. He was far from perfect and he wasn't close to what his contract is worth.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Let's see him score 20+ goals before we compare him to Lupul.

I hope Leivo does well. Over the years we've been waiting for players on the Marlies to be able to graduate and contribute the way players in other organizations do. The players not picked in the top 10.
Frattin. Nope
Ashton. Nope.
Kozun. Nope.
Carrick? Not so far.
Blacker? Biggs? Never made it.
I don't expect Lupul numbers. I'd like to see hard work and a fit. I'd like to start seeing that from our picks.

OvenMittz*

I hope Leivo does well. Over the years we've been waiting for players on the Marlies to be able to graduate and contribute the way players in other organizations do. The players not picked in the top 10.
Frattin. Nope
Ashton. Nope.
Kozun. Nope.
Carrick? Not so far.
Blacker? Biggs? Never made it.
I don't expect Lupul numbers. I'd like to see hard work and a fit. I'd like to start seeing that from our picks.

Yea Lievo seems like a late bloomer to me.

He will work hard and try his best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad