Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-1 to Columbus

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I found their lack of compete disturbing. For a Babcock team. They should have beaten Columbus even without JVR.

I have to wonder why this team always collapsed in the 2nd half?
Is it conditioning? Does it looks like lack of compete because they are gassed by the 2nd half? Or is it both?
Will 82 games catch up to some playing in higher spots than they should?
Even when we lost in October (1-7) we looked better than last night.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I found their lack of compete disturbing. For a Babcock team. They should have beaten Columbus even without JVR.

Is it conditioning? Does it looks like lack of compete because they are gassed by the 2nd half? Or is it both?

I would agree with you on the 1st period, but most of the 2nd and all of the 3rd, the Leafs were the better team. They had puck possession and many shots, I don't remember what the totals were, but it seemed like the Leafs dominated in that department. The Leafs ran into a hot goalie, are playing with jet lag and are missing their best scorer, so I think a loss even to the worst team in the league wasn't that unexpected.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lets be honest here.

Before the game how many Leaf fans had even heard of rookie 4th string goalie Joonas Korpisalo?

The 21-year-old Korpisalo entered the game with just one win in six starts this season and had a 3.69 goals-against average and .882 save percentage allowing nearly 4 goals a game.

I thought an angry Leafs team after that SJ game debacle would take it out on this goalie tonight against the 30th place NHL team that was playing the back half of a back to back.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/3069266/joonas-korpisalo

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Lets be honest here.

Before the game how many Leaf fans had even heard of rookie 4th string goalie Joonas Korpisalo?

The 21-year-old Korpisalo entered the game with just one win in six starts this season and had a 3.69 goals-against average and .882 save percentage allowing nearly 4 goals a game.

I thought an angry Leafs team after that SJ game debacle would take it out on this goalie tonight against the 30th place NHL team that was playing the back half of a back to back.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/3069266/joonas-korpisalo

I never heard of him either, but he was hot last night, who knows if he was just lucky or the Leafs shots were weak. The Leafs did look like the stronger team for the second half of the game and it did seem like Columbus's goalie stole the win.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I never heard of him either, but he was hot last night, who knows if he was just lucky or the Leafs shots were weak. The Leafs did look like the stronger team for the second half of the game and it did seem like Columbus's goalie stole the win.
Clearly the better of the two goalies last night. He made a number of saves through traffic, on tips, swallowed rebounds, etc..

I would have liked more high quality chances for the amount of shots generated, but there were a number of shots that would have been "excused" had they gone in.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Thought Parenteau had one of his worst games, seemed to be fighting the puck big time. Liked what Matthias/Lupul and Leivo brought. Everyone else was pretty average.
Reimer has looked a bit off his last 2 starts, doesn't seem to be tracking the puck well after the initial save, likely due to his time missed and still getting back into form.

Somewhat a disappointing loss simply because I'd be absolutely shocked if CBJ managed to crawl ahead of the Leafs by season's end, there's no benefit to giving them points vs a team like the Sharks, at least those games have a silver lining, this one had none.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Sometimes I don't get Toronto Media. People praised the LA game even though the Leafs played like garbage. Then they trash the Leafs for this game(even though they should have won regardless) and the Leafs straight out dominated the Jackets.

The jackets had 8 high end scoring chances, compared to the Leafs 21.

Good loss for the tank though

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

no they "shouldn't" Have beaten them.
whatever Columbus's issues are - we aren't better than them.

but we should have shown a better effort.

also - i don't think (this year) it's going to be a "collapse" so to speak. we aren't good. Babcock has this team playing at a very high level and they got really good goaltending from Reimer. if Reimer was so so - we're Columbus. end of story. The "lack of compete" - I am willing to California-road trip that one (yeah it was 3 days, but it was 3 days w/o a game). If we look like hot garbage (ie: no compete/effort) then - basically that is an issue.

but ultimately what it is - I think especially with all the stuff they are doing with sports science etc - it's "when you have a team that is basically all 3rd-4th line talent - that'swhat you get at the 1/2 way mark of the season." a lot of them simply are playing way too much (games/minutes) and you naturally hit a wall.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I guess I was the only one expecting this?

I said in the pre-game thread that anyone with a memory knows that this team lays a stinker the first home game back from California.

Like clock work, lads.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Heads weren't into it to start. We didnt play badly but we were losing the front of the net battles on both ends, and it cost us.

Leivo looks sharp though. Very impressed with the quickness of his decision making. No hesitating whatsoever, and they were mostly good decisions.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Heads weren't into it to start. We didnt play badly but we were losing the front of the net battles on both ends, and it cost us.

Leivo looks sharp though. Very impressed with the quickness of his decision making. No hesitating whatsoever, and they were mostly good decisions.

Horrible game to watch, I lasted for two periods of zombie hockey and then packed it in. Seems like they got better in the 3rd, but those first two periods were awful. They couldn't do anything right, and instead of digging in and working harder to compensate, they seemed to get more and more disengaged.

It was funny watching Babber on the bench, he seemed more baffled than anything. Leivo seemed pretty lively, and Lupul had some jump 'til he got drilled with the puck, so start the pool for his next trip to IR.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Horrible game to watch, I lasted for two periods of zombie hockey and then packed it in. Seems like they got better in the 3rd, but those first two periods were awful. They couldn't do anything right, and instead of digging in and working harder to compensate, they seemed to get more and more disengaged.

It was funny watching Babber on the bench, he seemed more baffled than anything. Leivo seemed pretty lively, and Lupul had some jump 'til he got drilled with the puck, so start the pool for his next trip to IR.

1st game back from a west coast road trip (particularly one through Death Valley California) with the travel and the time change is always a tough game for teams (not just the Leafs). So this performance was not totally surprising.

While it was the worst team in the league with their 4th string goalie, the game still had the equivalent of watching paint dry.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
1st game back from a west coast road trip (particularly one through Death Valley California) with the travel and the time change is always a tough game for teams (not just the Leafs). So this performance was not totally surprising.

While it was the worst team in the league with their 4th string goalie, the game still had the equivalent of watching paint dry.

So would any one trade the Leafs roster for the Bluejackets roster.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
This was a great game to lose. Not sure why so many are upset.

It was a clutch loss tbh

As for the good in this game:
-Marincin had a solid showing
-Leivo did not look out of place one bit
-Gardiner continues playing well offensively
-Reimer shoulders only some of the blame on the Wennberg goal. Sure swallowing the rebound would have been good but so would not leaving CBJ forward uncontested in front of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad