Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-1 to Columbus

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I am curious to see him in NHL, but I think it is best for him to finish off with the marlies and a deep playoff run!.

I think he could also benefit from NHL time, while joining the Marlies in the playoffs. (Everyone knows the Leafs aren't making it there) Of course this would be contingent on us moving at least a couple of bodies out by the tdl, and Nylander staying healthy after recovering from his concussion.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I am curious to see him in NHL, but I think it is best for him to finish off with the marlies and a deep playoff run!.

I'd like to see Nylander brought up for 3-5 games this season assuming his head is back on straight. Just a sample.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Was that Simmons?

no - i didn't recognize the voice.

some stats

Bernier wasn't getting run support in his first seven+ games (7 goals total)
Reimer hasn't been getting run support is last seven games (7 goals)

y'all. it is happening.
Babcock can't will them goals.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think he could also benefit from NHL time, while joining the Marlies in the playoffs. (Everyone knows the Leafs aren't making it there) Of course this would be contingent on us moving at least a couple of bodies out by the tdl, and Nylander staying healthy after recovering from his concussion.

Yea, I'd be shocked if Nylander does not get a taste of NHL action before the Leafs season is done. Give him a taste, see what it's like. Especially in games during March and April.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We are not going to score that much with JVR out.

Kadri, Parenteau, Leo, Bozak will generate some, but that's not exactly an all-star crew :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We are not going to score that much with JVR out.

Kadri, Parenteau, Leo, Bozak will generate some, but that's not exactly an all-star crew :laugh:

Liar.
that could totally challenge the Marlies :laugh:

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
That is a lot of new people, Babcock loves structure. If Keefe is doing the same thing well, could be good.

We saw tonight that the Leafs really didn't play the Babcock game till it was deep into the third.

Its no secret its very, very hard work, intelligence, and patience. Well u cannot be patient being down by two goals.

Reason Babcock doesn't kill a team till the playoffs is he lets fourth liners have ten minutes of playing time. Wilson and Cardoofus didn't do that and killed a team by the xmas break.

champs*

I seen an interview with Keefe and he said the marlies are learning all of babcock's systems. Talks to babcock daily and the team watches leafs and red wings videos to help learn. All players coming up are all familiar with babs systems.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Didn't watch the game tonight.. Sounds like it was pretty painful to watch. Goal scoring could be drying up and with JVR that's a big blow. Although based on the comments here the Leafs barely showed up?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Didn't watch the game tonight.. Sounds like it was pretty painful to watch. Goal scoring could be drying up and with JVR that's a big blow. Although based on the comments here the Leafs barely showed up?

- They could barely move the puck compared to previous games. They would string a few passes together but never really got into troubling areas for Columbus to actually worry about.

- Shots were never troubling the Columbus goalie at all.

- Lacked the intensity we're used to this season.

Only positive was that Reimer played pretty good, but that won't mean much while JVR is out since our offence looks dried up without him in the line up.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Here are a few reasons why I think we lost:

1) Grabner sucks and as a result, the whole line is not effective. Put Leivo, Lupul, or Winnik in his spot and there will be a huge improvement.

2) The Bozak line kind of sucks without JVR. I think that Parenteau has been getting pretty lucky to put up the types of numbers that he's getting. He just seems to get the puck in nice spots and seems to randomly shoot pucks in nets. But I think he's getting points based off the play of JVR and Bozak. Once you replace JVR with Matthias, the line just isn't any good anymore.

1 + 2 = our top two lines kind of suck

3) Our third line isn't clicking. Not really sure why, but it's just not working. Maybe try moving Holland to the wing and let someone else play center (Komorov? Matthias? Arcobello? Winnik?).

4) Froese sucks. I have no idea why he is still playing. The first deflected goal was deflected by his man... so if that goal was anyone's fault, it was his. It make no sense because his spot could be used by someone like Arcobello who we might be able to flip for a late draft pick at the deadline.

1+2+3+4 = All our lines suck

5) Hunwick also sucks. Not as bad as Froese, but Hunwick is never going to be good. In the second goal, he didn't cover the front of the net and chased someone out of position. Ya, someone should have covered for him, but still.

Let's look at +/- ... I love this stat even though it's fallen out of favour. Froese leads the team with -9. Followed by Lupul at -8... Then Holland and Hunwick at -7. Hunwick also has 22 penalty minutes. He has no goals and only 5 assists. Look at Rielly his partner... Rielly has 19 points, he's only a minus 1, and has taken just 6 penalty minutes. Do you know who has the best plus minus on the Leafs right now??? Polak! at +9

So I think Froese, Hunwick, and Grabner are our weak links.

I would shake things up a bit for next game:

Leivo - Kadri - Lupul
Matthias - Bozak - Holland
Winnik - Komorov - Parenteau
Grabner - Arcobello - Boyes

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak
Marincin - Hunwick

Reimer
Bernier

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On

1) Grabner sucks and as a result, the whole line is not effective. Put Leivo, Lupul, or Winnik in his spot and there will be a huge improvement.

2) The Bozak line kind of sucks without JVR. I think that Parenteau has been getting pretty lucky to put up the types of numbers that he's getting. He just seems to get the puck in nice spots and seems to randomly shoot pucks in nets. But I think he's getting points based off the play of JVR and Bozak. Once you replace JVR with Matthias, the line just isn't any good anymore.

3) Our third line isn't clicking. Not really sure why, but it's just not working. Maybe try moving Holland to the wing and let someone else play center (Komorov? Matthias? Arcobello? Winnik?).

4) Froese sucks. I have no idea why he is still playing. The first deflected goal was deflected by his man... so if that goal was anyone's fault, it was his. It make no sense because his spot could be used by someone like Arcobello who we might be able to flip for a late draft pick at the deadline.

5) Hunwick also sucks. Not as bad as Froese, but Hunwick is never going to be good. In the second goal, he didn't cover the front of the net and chased someone out of position. Ya, someone should have covered for him, but still.

Let's look at +/- ... I love this stat even though it's fallen out of favour. Froese leads the team with -9. Followed by Lupul at -8... Then Holland and Hunwick at -7. Hunwick also has 22 penalty minutes. He has no goals and only 5 assists. Look at Rielly his partner... Rielly has 19 points, he's only a minus 1, and has taken just 6 penalty minutes. Do you know who has the best plus minus on the Leafs right now??? Polak! at +9

Leivo - Kadri - Lupul

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak
Marincin - Hunwick

Reimer
Bernier

babs loves hunwick.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 3-1 loss against Columbus on Wednesday night.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I expect a close game. Could go either way.

Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 3-1 loss against Columbus on Wednesday night.

I got scared when he said "i think Matty had a good game tonight, probably his best." Because my mind immediately thought Matty meant Matt Hunwick. I was afraid that Babcock hit his head or something.

Luckily a reporter asked "which Matty? Hunwick or Matthias?" And Babcock responded with "Shawn, the one playing on the wing."

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Leivo - Kadri - Lupul

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak
Marincin - Hunwick

Reimer
Bernier

Not going to argue with your position here, but I would sum it up with they lack talent.

IMO, two players in your line-up would qualify as top 6, Kadri and Bozak, and 3 top 4 defenders, Phaneuf, Rielly and Gardiner.

They really do deserve their current place in the standings, so no one should be disappointed.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Babcock should go for broke and dump Leivo in JVRs place. Put him in the fire and get it over with Babs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad