Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Boring, promote from within, no star UFA's lineup...

Hyman Matthews. Nylander
Marleau. Kadri. Marner
Johnsson. Aaltanen Kapanen
Grundstrom Lindholm. Brown
Leivo

Rielly. Hainsey
Gardiner. Zaitsev
Dermott. Carrick
Ozhiganov

Interesting thought on this one @crump . I was thinking like you that it would be good to do what you're suggesting. Bring in the guys that have developed in the system and continue to progress the plan that they've made.

I just don't see the optics behind it anymore though.

1. Babcock loves the vets. I guess in one aspect, if he doesn't have them to play, then he can't play them. In the other aspect, I'm sure he's going to push for at least 2-3 guys that are close to 30.

2. Rookie GM looking to make his stamp on the organization. My guess is he tries to make 1 or 2 trades. It could be a small one in terms of prospect for prospect. Or it could be for an NHL regular.

3. Leafs need to make the jump. In the past 2 playoffs, their defense has been terrible. That will be the focus. They can't trot Hainsey out for that many minutes for 5 on 5 and the PK. Get him back to a better number and let some other players help.

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
With the hole at C, it probably makes sense to now slot Nylander there..Leafs have lots of wingers to fill Nylander on wing or can easily sign one.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
What’s your point?

Between going back to work and responding to other people just trying to figure out what you’re getting at.

Lolll I’m trying to understand your point. You replied to my post in regards to the leafs having rookies in the bottom 6. Go back to your previous messages. I respond with facts, which you clearly took offense too. I question if you even watch hockey...

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Lolll I’m trying to understand your point. You replied to my post in regards to the leafs having rookies in the bottom 6. Go back to your previous messages. I respond with facts, which you clearly took offense too. I question if you even watch hockey...
Come down from your high horse there “I respond with facts”. Jut like everyone else responds with facts. Arm chair GMs.

I actually didn’t take offence to it. I was asking you what your point was so I didn’t have to run back and forth trying to find what was written. I was working and wanted you to get straight to the point of what you were trying to say.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hyman - matthews - nylander
kovy - tavares - marner
marleau - kadri - brown
johnsson - gauthier/aaltonen/par - kapanen

i hope this happens lol

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Marleau Matthews Marner
Hyman Kadri Brown
Johnsson Nylander Kapanen
____ Gauthier Grundstrom

Rielly Myers
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Zaitsev

I want to see the Matthews line stacked, the Kadri line impossible to play against and the Nylander line sheltered as shit, allowed to wheel and make mistakes.

Gardiner for Myers

Reactions: Ulysses31

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Come down from your high horse there “I respond with facts”. Jut like everyone else responds with facts. Arm chair GMs.

I actually didn’t take offence to it. I was asking you what your point was so I didn’t have to run back and forth trying to find what was written. I was working and wanted you to get straight to the point of what you were trying to say.
I did respond with facts though.. you started replying to my messages not vice versa.. shortfuze indeed

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I did respond with facts though.. you started replying to my messages not vice versa.. shortfuze indeed
No shortfuze or offense at all my man. All I asked was what your point was so I could skip going back to check. If it makes you feel big to think that someone is losing their temper because of a post, feel free.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Marleau Matthews Marner
Hyman Kadri Brown
Johnsson Nylander Kapanen
____ Gauthier Grundstrom

Rielly Myers
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Zaitsev

I want to see the Matthews line stacked, the Kadri line impossible to play against and the Nylander line sheltered as ****, allowed to wheel and make mistakes.

Gardiner for Myers

Swap Brown and Kapanen and that's pretty much my hope for next season. I'm not as convinced as others that Gauthier is the solution at 4C but he might surprise me.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
No shortfuze or offense at all my man. All I asked was what your point was so I could skip going back to check. If it makes you feel big to think that someone is losing their temper because of a post, feel free.
No not at all. We are brothers at the end of the day that want a leafs cup.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
To Carolina: Gardiner and Sparks
To Toronto: Faulk

Sign Derek Ryan and Calvin De Haan

Lineup next year

Hyman Matthews Marner
Johnsson Kadri Nylander
Marleau Ryan Kapanen
Grundstrom Aaltonen/Lindholm Brown
Martin

Rielly Faulk
DeHaan Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman

Andersen
Pickard

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Aaltonen isn't good on the draw, so he likely won't make it as center.

But he is skilled, tenacious, good at both ends of the ice and has played wing in the past.

I could see a 4th line of:

Aaltonen - Lindholm - Brown

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
To Carolina: Gardiner and Sparks
To Toronto: Faulk

Sign Derek Ryan and Calvin De Haan

Lineup next year

Hyman Matthews Marner
Johnsson Kadri Nylander
Marleau Ryan Kapanen
Grundstrom Aaltonen/Lindholm Brown
Martin

Rielly Faulk
DeHaan Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman

Andersen
Pickard

Just dump Martin somehow

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Swap Brown and Kapanen and that's pretty much my hope for next season. I'm not as convinced as others that Gauthier is the solution at 4C but he might surprise me.
I'd like to see him get a full training camp in and an extended look. He's having a great playoffs right now in the A. It would be a huge plus if we could fill at least one of our C spots from within.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Christian Hanson Matt Stajan Viktor Stalberg

Zack Hyman William Nylander Mitch Marner

Pierre Engvall Auston Matthews Andreas Johnnson

Patrick Marleau Naz Kadri Kasperi Kapanen

Morgan Rielly Igor Ozhiganov
Jake Gardiner Timothy Liljegren
Ron Hainsey Nikita Zaitsev
;)

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Tavares would just be unfair, although not impossible I guess

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Brown

People are going to hate me for this but .... if I had a say;

Tavares - Kadri - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Marleau - Big Joe - Brown
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Jonsson

That should be enough to tell the NHL the cup is OURS for the next 3 years

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Could be right.

Hyman Matthews Kapanen
Johnsson Kadri Marner
Marleau Nylander Brown

I'd be happy with that.
Lots of combinations that could be used but there something to be said about continuity. I would be shocked if the Marner, Kadri Marleau line isn't a line to start next season.

The rest of the lines will have a face lift of some kind and agree with the fact you have Nylander at center next season in the Bozak role. The questions will be who the wingers will be for both Nylander & Matthews. This is where we're going to see change the most IMO.

I know this wont be popular but I'm convinced we'll see the Goat as the 4th line center next year.

Matthews
Kadri
Nylander
Gauthier

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
As a rather realistic baseline, I wouldn't mind seeing us walk into next season with this:

Marleau - Matthews - Kapanen
Leivo/Grundström - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Hyman
Aaltonen/Czarnik - Lindholm/Aaltonen - Brown

Rielly - Pysyk
Dermott - Zaitsev
Klefbom - Andersson

Andersen
Sparks

That includes assets in for Gardiner, assets out for Klefbom and Andersson. There should be a ton of cap space for one season, which I'd like to see used to take on cap dumps in exchange for good assets.

The biggest change comes at RHD, where we add a high-end complement for Rielly in Pysyk, and another Dermott-type d-man in Andersson. I believe in Klefbom being able to turn it around, so I don't think that the left side is necessarily weakened all that much with realistic improvement from Dermott and Klefbom instead of Gardiner. Another change is that this lineup features stronger two-way ability in the lineup, and more skill on the fourth line. It has depth on both special teams as well.

It's not ideal, but it has the potential to grow into a lineup without holes, and it has long-term strength as well. I want Nylander in the middle, and while we could throw tons of money at say Thornton for one year, it doesn't feel like a necessary move. We have strength on the wings, and Nylander would have a similar impact.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Aaltonen isn't good on the draw, so he likely won't make it as center.

But he is skilled, tenacious, good at both ends of the ice and has played wing in the past.

I could see a 4th line of:

Aaltonen - Lindholm - Brown
I don't think Brown will be on the fourth line this year. I think management are going to give him every opprtunity to produce offensively so they can see what he can do at an NHL level.

He has been asked to play a checking role his entire NHL career and he more of a two way Jack of all trades winger. He hasn't been given a chance to see how he can do when put into an offensive role.

They have more time to figure out what to do with Kap and AJ contract wise so ya I don't see them playing higher in the lineup than Brown.

If Nylander plays center, Marner slides up to play with Matthews and I think Brown goes back onto the Kadri line.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Like the idea of Nylander at C, but think he'll still be a winger. If so, I imagine Hyman-Matthews-Nylander and Marleau-Kadri-Marner are intact to start the season. If Bozak doesn't return, we'll need to acquire a C. Lindholm has the inside track for 4C. Might need to acquire a LW as well if neither JVR nor Komarov return. Could also acquire a d-man to pair with Dermott, at the very least. Ozhiganov should be in the mix, though I don't see him paired with Dermott.

Outside additions will probably be short term, but there figures to be some in the event all of the UFAs walk.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Like the idea of Nylander at C, but think he'll still be a winger. If so, I imagine Hyman-Matthews-Nylander and Marleau-Kadri-Marner are intact to start the season.
Yeah, that's still a very good bet. If I would look at what I believe will happen, I'd say that's the most likely. I just don't think it's the right choice. Sure, Matthews and Nylander are good together. I don't really buy the chemistry-argument though. I don't think they look better together than what you'd expect from two players of that high quality.

Reactions: IPS

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yeah, that's still a very good bet. If I would look at what I believe will happen, I'd say that's the most likely. I just don't think it's the right choice. Sure, Matthews and Nylander are good together. I don't really buy the chemistry-argument though. I don't think they look better together than what you'd expect from two players of that high quality.

I'd be okay for some mixing within those six, but in the event all of JVR, Bozak, Komarov and Plekanec leave, there will already be instability within the other forward lines, so some familiarity to start may be a way to go. Think expectations increase every year, so changes could happen at any time if that's what is best.

Probably easier to immediately split Nylander and Matthews only if necessary though (aka Nylander becoming a full time centre). I think they work well together, but they could also thrive apart. How we line up will also depend on which players go out and which come in.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I think Matthews Nylander as a combination is overrated. Matthews produced quite well with Hyman and Brown as well. I can't see why Kappy couldn't play that similar zone entry role. He also has a shot and more size to compliment Matthews and Hyman. It turns that line into a pretty heavy fast skilled force.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What it should be?

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Leivo-Nylander-Hyman
Johnsson-Kadri-Marner
Grundstrom-Alt\Goat-Brown

What Babcock will do?

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-UFA-Brown
Martin-UFA-Kapanen

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Marleau - Matthews - Marner (Lethal first line/ keeps Matthews happy)
Hyman - Kadri - Brown (shutdown/ energy line that can chip in offensively)
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen (high skill and speed, would be a matchup nightmare for most teams/ awesome chemistry from the AHL)
Martin - Aaltonen - Leivo (won’t have to play a lot of minutes but can bang and chip in offensively/ Martin and Leivo should be motivated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad