Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I'll take another guess now that we know who the GM is :D

HymanMatthewsKapanen
MarleauKadriMarner
JohnssonNylanderBrown
GrundstromAaltonen(Grabner?)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RiellyDermott
GardinerCarrick
HainseyZaitsev
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

In reality, Dubas is gonna make a move or two out of left field to improve the roster that we're all gonna be in love with.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Wouldn't mind seeing Borgman get another shot at the 6/7 spot. Seems we got a bunch of competition for that spot though.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Wouldn't mind seeing Borgman get another shot at the 6/7 spot. Seems we got a bunch of competition for that spot though.
He absolutely will get his shot in training camp.
Ideally I'd like to see Dermott/Borgman in that 3rd pair D. Let them get acclimated to a full 82 game season and compete with each other.
IMO Hainsey/Zaitsev should be the 2nd and 3rd pair right side D.
We could definitely use a Pesce or equivalent to play above them.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
in case some people haven't noticed, the team replacing it 3 forwards who are most demonstrably either have no interest in helping out defensively (JVR, Bozak) and one who is no longer much help in that area or offence (Komarov). We will be replacing them with younger, faster, far more defensively capable players who have been coached and trained for 200 foot games and/or are good possession players that the 3rd and 4th opposition lines will have a hell of a time handling (Kapanen, Johnsson, Aaltonen, Grundstrom, Lindholm, Lievo are internal options. Possibly a UFA or two might be added to the mix).

Yeqh I'm excited for that. But there's also existing players in Matthews/Marner/Kadri that still cheat sometimes which is odd since we know the're better than that to do that.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Lindholm - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Brown

Rielly - Signing
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Hainsey
Rosen

Andersen
McElhinney
What type of players does Dubas like?
Does he see Gardiner as a long term solution to the blueline? Does he like the D as it is? Does he believe that improving the defensive ability of the forward group make the D better?
What are his views on asset management?
Does Dubas view Nylander as a center and does Babcock share that thought?

These are important questions going forward.
As of right now, can't disagree because your lines are pretty much the depth chart minus Gardiner. But if Gardiner stays it's probably:
Rielly...Hainsey
Gardiner...Zaitsev
Dermott/Borgman...Carrick (UFA)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Johnsson - Nylander - Brown
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Leivo
Lindholm

Rielly - Acquisition
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey
Borgman - Carrick

Andersen
Sparks

I still have a feeling Tanev or a prominent RHD will be had somehow.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What type of players does Dubas like?
Does he see Gardiner as a long term solution to the blueline? Does he like the D as it is? Does he believe that improving the defensive ability of the forward group make the D better?
What are his views on asset management?
Does Dubas view Nylander as a center and does Babcock share that thought?

These are important questions going forward.
As of right now, can't disagree because your lines are pretty much the depth chart minus Gardiner. But if Gardiner stays it's probably:
Rielly...Hainsey
Gardiner...Zaitsev
Dermott/Borgman...Carrick (UFA)

Yes, does Dubas lock up Gardiner for 7 years?

If he does, then I can see some dealing going on as they probably have LHD of:
Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott, Hainsey, Borgman, and Rosen.

Hainsey is a LHD just playing with Rielly on the right.

Zaitsev, Carrick, Liljegren, Holl on the RHD, with Carrick being unusable according to Babcock.

So @SprDaVE I could see Dubas filling a hole on the right via trade or free agency, and @Trapper I suspect there may be underlying stats that determine who he pursues.

Reactions: iSophagus

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

HymanMatthewsKapanen
MarleauKadriMarner
JohnssonNylanderBrown
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RiellyDermott
GardinerCarrick
HainseyZaitsev
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In reality, Dubas is gonna make a move or two out of left field to improve the roster that we're all gonna be in love with.

I like that defense a lot.

Upfront, I like the idea of the org committing to the Pittsburgh model, and going hard after Tavares. Essentially locking in a right side of:

Matthews - Nylander
Tavares - Marner

Then funnelling through young LW and letting those four carry them. I think the Tavares camp is playing coy, and that he really wants to sign here. It can work.

Reactions: Mitts888

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes, does Dubas lock up Gardiner for 7 years?

Dubas should move Gardiner at the draft this year with 1 year remaining on his deal to avoid being in the JVR position of own rentals entering the playoffs and then losing them for free.

With Rielly on the left on the 1st pairing and Dermott primed to be LHD on the 2nd pairing the smart move would be to deal Gardiner now for RHD that can play with Rielly or Dermott in the top 4. IMO

I'd even think dealing Kadri and Gardiner as a package for a RHD and C could be in the opting for Dubas.

example Ryan O'Reilly and Rasmus Ristolainen for Kadri + Gardiner + prospect (Bracco/Kapanen) + pick.

Reactions: HC7

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

HymanMatthewsKapanen
MarleauKadriMarner
JohnssonNylanderBrown
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RiellyDermott
GardinerCarrick
HainseyZaitsev
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Problem is they'd be rolling with basically the same D that wasn't good enough last year. Perhaps with Bozak and JVR gone though, the two-way play from the forwards improves

Reactions: Trapper

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Problem is they'd be rolling with basically the same D that wasn't good enough last year. Perhaps with Bozak and JVR gone though, the two-way play from the forwards improves

In order for the Leafs to get better and more Cup competitive they need/should swap out at least 1/2 of last years defense with only Rielly and Dermott the only 2 locked in to return, with everyone else fair game to be moved.

Gardiner should be moved for sure for help on the right hand side and Zaitsev could also be packaged if need be to strengthen the right side as well.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
HYMAN​
MATTHEWS​
MARNER​
MARLEAU​
KADRI​
BROWN​
JOHNSSON​
NYLANDER​
KAPANEN​
AALTONEN​
LINDHOLM​
LEIVO​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RIELLYDERMOTT
KLEFBOMZAITSEV
ROSENOZHIGANOV
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ANDERSEN
SPARKS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

• Gardiner to Edmonton for Klefbom (Picks and Prospects either way to balance value)
  • McElhinney and Pickard each go for mid-round picks
  • Hainsey and Rosen alternate

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
That's the big question isn't it? Do they lock him up for 7 years at 6+ million per year? Why would Gardiner sign for less? He's UFA and gets his one opportunity to hit the T-Ball homerun.

I am on the fence with Gardiner. He's too volatile as a player to make a concrete judgement call.

If Dubas is not committed to signing him to an extension at some point, then I agree that he should be dealt sooner rather than later. Babs loves him though, so I'm not sure if Dubas will be inclined to move him this summer.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yes it's basically moving the deck chairs around.
Last year our D was:
Rielly...Hainsey
Gardiner...Zaitsev
Dermott/Borgman...Polak

We need to get better so people propose:
Rielly...Dermott (I like Dermott and think he will develop into a solid top 4 D but you want a kid without even 82 games to take on top line opposition and doing that on his off hand side). What could go wrong?
Gardiner...Zaitsev
Borgman...Rosen (or who? Polak?)
Looks good but I think I've seen this movie before.

Dubas needs to make a decision on Gardiner. Sign or trade.
Then IMO, we should be looking for 2 more reliable D. Players need to move down.
Rielly...2
3...Zaitsev or Hainsey
Dermott/Borgman(alternating)...Zaitsev/Hainsey

If Gardiner does stay, then at least one consistent upgrade.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I really think Nylander stays on the wing, rather than getting moved to center. And I'm think that Babcock will go that route as well.

Dubas should be looking to bring in a #3 center, as well as blueline help.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
LEAFS - CAPITALS
Connor Brown, Martin Marincin & 3rd/4th for Tom Wilson

LEAFS - BLUES

William Nylander, Calvin Pickard & Nikita Zaitsev for Colton Parayko & Patrik Berglund

LEAFS - BLUE JACKETS
Josh Leivo & 2nd 2019 for Boone Jenner

WILSON​
MATTHEWS​
MARNER​
MARLEAU​
TAVARES​
KAPANEN​
JENNER​
KADRI​
HYMAN​
GRUNDSTROM​
BERGLUND​
JOHNSSON​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RIELLYPARAYKO
GARDINERHAINSEY
DERMOTTBORGMAN
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
IMO it's a big development year for the Leafs. Nylander moves to centre, Hyman is needed at RW. Due to the lack of RHD available, Dermot plays the right side this year out of necessity

Grundstrom. Matthews. Marner
Johnson Nylander. Hyman
Marleau Kadri Kapanen
Martin/Leivo. Aaltonen/Lindholm. Brown

Reilly. Hainsey. Andersen/Sparks
Gardiner. Zaitsev
Borgman. Dermot
Oz the Russian/Carrick

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
if nylander plays with a strong forechecker and defender in hyman or brown he should be good, hes had two full seasons under his belt now, he has all the speed and talent in the world to play center

Mar 14, 2015
KadriMatthewsKapanen
MarleauTavaresMarner
JohnssonNylanderGrundstrom
HymanLindholmBrown
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RiellyHainsey
GardinerZaitsev
DermottBorgman
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
- Matthews finally gets his wish to play with Marner after his and Babcocks "big talk"
- Babs & Marleau get Thornton to come over on a 1 year

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Kapanen-Thornton-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Martin/Grundstrom-Aaltonen-Johnsson

Rielly-________(trade)
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

Andersen
McElhinney/Sparks

The whole Matthews' wish is to play with Marner thing is overstated and out of context work by our media.

He was asked point blank if he would like to play more with Mitch, to which he basically said "sure, but coach makes line choices and have good linemates already"

It's been a non story since the onset.

I'm willing to bet good money you will not see them together for any significant amount of ES time again this upcoming season. Powerplay they should and believe will be together. There's no real reason to put them together at ES. Our offense is so much more dangerous when we spread our best around. And Marleau-Kadri-Marner was lights out good for the last few months of season and the playoffs

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Dubas should move Gardiner at the draft this year with 1 year remaining on his deal to avoid being in the JVR position of own rentals entering the playoffs and then losing them for free.

With Rielly on the left on the 1st pairing and Dermott primed to be LHD on the 2nd pairing the smart move would be to deal Gardiner now for RHD that can play with Rielly or Dermott in the top 4. IMO

I'd even think dealing Kadri and Gardiner as a package for a RHD and C could be in the opting for Dubas.

example Ryan O'Reilly and Rasmus Ristolainen for Kadri + Gardiner + prospect (Bracco/Kapanen) + pick.

Hard pass on trading Kadri. We're gonna need bargain contracts like his if we want to be contenders.

Reactions: Nithoniniel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad