GDT: Leafs @ Lightning HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hopefully we see some depth scoring tonight.
After 4 games 11 of Leafs 14 goals have come from the core 4. Leafs Defense has scored Zero, and Leafs only have 2 X ES goals Jarnkrok & Gregor and 1 PP goal from Bertuzzi to date as depth scoring.

1697896961780.png

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
It’s early. A few losses, opposing goalies standing on their heads again. Nothing like a convincing road win to get back on track right, I mean Tampa doesn’t have Vas so it should be easy right? :dunno::banana:

Strangle

May 4, 2009
After 4 games 11 of Leafs 14 goals have come from the core 4. Leafs Defense has scored Zero, and Leafs only have 2 X ES goals Jarnkrok & Gregor and 1 PP goal from Bertuzzi to date as depth scoring.

View attachment 755607

Is there a league average gpg from teams bottom 6 that we can compare 3 goals in 4 games against?

Also, 15 goals in 4 games, or whatever they’ve scored, should be enough for 3 wins

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Minten didnt look close to an NHLer outside if faceoffs

He needs to go and dominate the WHL

I'll be honest, Holmberg never should have been cut to give Minten NHL games.

Holmberg was just as good in the pre-season. He's faster and more skilled right now. He was good last year, got injured and had some issues gaining back that momentum at the time, but then was fantastic for the Marlies in their playoff run.

Next up is to get Robertson back in as well, but one roster move at a time.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Is there a league average gpg from teams bottom 6 that we can compare 3 goals in 4 games against?

Also, 15 goals in 4 games, or whatever they’ve scored, should be enough for 3 wins
However the 16 goals against is the problem when you average 4 GAA/g.

1697898451712.png

As poorly as the Leafs have played they could actually be 0-4-0 right now with only a few goalie out 6v5 goals and a OT win assisting in being .500

Luckily TB without Vas in net are the only team worse than Leafs in GAA/g in the Atlantic,.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think it was worth keeping Minten around. We didn't lose anyone on waivers and the kid gets to see what the next level is all about, and the team gets to know him even better... plus he now has a relationship with many on the main roster. All positives imo. Holmberg is a known entity.

Minten was never staying past the 9 games barring something really unexpected happening.

As for tonight, hoping for a similar defensive effort from the team with a dash of goals added in.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Holmberg was just as good in the pre-season. He's faster and more skilled right now. He was good last year, got injured and had some issues gaining back that momentum at the time, but then was fantastic for the Marlies in their playoff run.

I'll be honest, Willy Nylander should be the #3C at present.

Minten should be in the WHL, and Holmberg the Leafs 4th line C and David Kampf let walk away and his cap better invested in a defense core improvement upgrade.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'll be honest, Willy Nylander should be the #3C at present.

Minten should be in the WHL, and Holmberg the Leafs 4th line C and David Kampf let walk away and his cap better invested in a defense core improvement upgrade.

Kampf has been the worst forward so far next to Ryan Reaves. That fourth line has been putrid and by far the biggest issue... and they only play sparingly 5 on 5.

Replace Kampf and Reaves with cheaper, younger, faster players... and I'm all in with trying out Nylander at center longer term.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

It felt shortsighted to me and will put a lot of pressure and expectations on a middle 6 projected player.

It seems like a nice reward in the moment, but i dont see it helping the team or player

Robertson should have been first call up, but were light on C's so i guess it went to Holmberg

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

View attachment 755607

The lack of offence from the D is staggering. Weren't we like 29th last year in goals from the D? You need your D to contribute sometimes as well. That issue just gets magnified in the ploffs.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
However the 16 goals against is the problem when you average 4 GAA/g.

View attachment 755612

As poorly as the Leafs have played they could actually be 0-4-0 right now with only a few goalie out 6v5 goals and a OT win assisting in being .500

Luckily TB without Vas in net are the only team worse than Leafs in GAA/g in the Atlantic,.

You’re right. After posting this I went and looked at everyone’s GA/GF numbers

The leafs GA is more than their GF, and one of the worst (if not the worst) of any expected playoff team

That’s insurmountable no matter what secondary scoring they get

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs could be 4-0 if <insert thing they didn't do well was instead good>
If you need 2 X 6v5 (goalie out) goals to simply tie the game and a circus time stunt SO winner against a bottom 5 team like Montreal then that is going to be a rather large net cast of issues. IMO

If you spend 1/2 your cap in only 4 forwards and they as a team only manage 1 goal for against last years 32nd place team Chicago and only 1 goal against Florida missing their top 2 X Dmen, while your defense core playing in front of your goalies are averaging 4 goals against per game there is going to a rather large <insert all the problems> here. :wg:

If the Leafs get outplayed and lose to Tampa Bay today without Vasilevskiy in net, then that list of concerns will grow to poor coaching as well, poor game plan, poor roster management etc where even if you play your stars 24+ minutes a night you still can't win then concerns list will grow further.

Leafs could use a solid 5-1 win today with strong defense and goaltending to show the ship is being righted. :crossfing

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kampf has been the worst forward so far next to Ryan Reaves. That fourth line has been putrid and by far the biggest issue... and they only play sparingly 5 on 5.

Replace Kampf and Reaves with cheaper, younger, faster players... and I'm all in with trying out Nylander at center longer term.

Biggest problem is there's absolutely no complimentary chemistry with Reeves and Kampf. Need to be on different lines (which has other issues)

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Biggest problem is there's absolutely not complimentary chemistry with Reeves and Kampf. Need to be on different lines (which has other issues)
The different line point is a tough one, we really dont have many options for our 4th line players right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad