GDT: Leafs@Lightning 7:30 PM TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I don’t understand why a leafs fan would want a loss tonight just enjoy the game and it doesn’t matter who we play in the first round they are both good teams.

Agree 100%. Either opponent will be tough. Go into the playoffs winning imo.

Kicking Tampa's ass tonight will do way more for confidence than losing to them just to play them again in a few weeks.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You would hope the contract has zero to do with it.

Put it this way, if your employer did something to keep your salary down, and you had an opportunity later to give them a hometown discount ... or not.

well, i'd imagine if Matthews was healthy to play - he'd be playing.
i doubt very much any decision with Matthews is predicated on his contract, because I'd reckon had he'd been healthy all season we're closer to the division title vs. 10pts out.

it was just a joke.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Way Leafs are playing, why not gun for 1st to play devils or florida?

Pretty sure that is Babcock's game plan to attempt to win every game. :)

The Leafs are however running out of runway and games left to catch and pass both TB and Boston.

If the Leafs lose tonight its over and your thought will be a nice after thought.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Silver lining?

You know what could also happen?.

Matthews and his agent may not want to sign his next contract this summer (due to his injury plagued season) missing 1/4 of it and that preventing the Leafs from locking him up long-term. Are Leafs management willing to commit to the $$ required without Matthews having the #'s to support that next contract.

Non silver lining of that glass half empty viewpoint.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

Matthews and his agent may not want to sign his next contract this summer (due to his injury plagued season) missing 1/4 of it and that preventing the Leafs from locking him up long-term. Are Leafs management willing to commit to the $$ required without Matthews having the #'s to support that next contract.

This is a definite possibility, especially because he's missed a lot of time. Why would Brisson cost his client a few million extra per year potentially long-term? Now, if AM goes balls to the walls in the playoffs and dominates and his agent feels he sorta made up for missing the portion of the season then we'll have to see. Obviously we would love to get AM at $8-9 million long-term (team friendly deal) but I don't see him or his agent going for that, especially because he hit 40G and ~70 points in his first year, and was on pace to destroy that this year - if anything like @Mess mentions, they will have the new contract signed July 1st, 2019.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I really don't know who I'd want to play in the first round.. I feel like Boston is more dangerous when healthy? Tampa is pretty deep though. If anything I hate the seeding setup..

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Mess with a "glass half empty" viewpoint? Shocking!!!

I am serious, this is shocking, you normally have the "Glass is empty" viewpoint

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I really don't know who I'd want to play in the first round.. I feel like Boston is more dangerous when healthy? Tampa is pretty deep though. If anything I hate the seeding setup..
There is no doubt that we are a victim to the new playoff structure. Top 6 team in the league and we have to play the 2nd or 3rd best team in the league in the first round. To me it doesn't matter who we play, because we'll have to play the other team in round 2. They should just take it 1 game at a time and try to win the first series. If we end up out of the playoffs in round 1 or 2 there is no shame in it this time around, we'll just have to finish 1st in the division in coming years.

I'm sure Tampa and Boston are in the same boat we are. They are set to finish as 2 of the top 3 teams in the league. One will be playing the 6th best team in the league in the 1st round and the other gets to play the winner of 3rd and 6th in the league in the second round. I imagine they aren't happy about it either and they sure as hell don't want to play us.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

It doesn’t matter. We’ll need to play both to make it out of the division most likely anyway.

Not too mention, we can beat both.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Wow i didnt realise Tampa's PK was that brutal. With how hot our PP has been, we have to take advantage of every opportunity we get we get. With the way Vasy has been playing, this game could get out of hand scoreboard wise.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I don’t know about you guys but I feel Babcock is using the media to pressure Matthews to return early, saying things last week like “Matty might be good to go next week”

Separated shoulders are extremely painful and take time to heal. I’d prefer Babs to keep his mouth shut on the matter until the doctors give him clearance to play, rather than get the fans and media hopes up or even worse, pressure the kid to play and aggregate the injury.
Just say “it’s up to the doctors “, don’t say “it’s up to Matty”.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don’t know about you guys but I feel Babcock is using the media to pressure Matthews to return early, saying things last week like “Matty might be good to go next week”

Separated shoulders are extremely painful and take time to heal. I’d prefer Babs to keep his mouth shut on the matter until the doctors give him clearance to play, rather than get the fans and media hopes up or even worse, pressure the kid to play and aggregate the injury.
He said it's up to Matthews whether he can play or not?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

you realise... once you get the clear from the doctors it is up to the player?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I don't care who we play, both are really good teams, but both are also beatable. Either way we're gonna have to go through both of them if the goal is to win the cup.

I prefer the Bruins because it'd be so sweet to take them out, and I think if both teams are playing their best hockey, TBL is the better team.

Who knows, either way, GO LEAFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad