GDT: Leafs@Lightning 7:30 PM TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
DYuuzQ1WsAEJl9q.jpg:large

Tuesday game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Tampa Bay Lightning

The Lightning’s Nikita Kucherov is the favourite for the Hart Trophy as NHL MVP.

Tuesday game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Tampa Bay Lightning | Toronto Star

freddie.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Leafs goaltender Frederik Andersen has missed the last two games with an upper-body injury. (Chris Young / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Mon., March 19, 2018

AMALIE ARENA
FACEOFF:
7:30 p.m.
TV: TSN
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Kucherov/Andersen
This matchup pits Tampa Bay’s Nikita Kucherov, the leading Hart Trophy candidate, against Leafs goaltender Frederik Andersen, who has been in the Hart and Vezina conversations. Kucherov scored two goals in the Lightning’s 3-1 win over Edmonton on Sunday and now has a league-leading 93 points, four more than Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin, Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon and the Oilers’ Connor McDavid. Andersen is expected to return to the Leafs net Tuesday after missing the past two games with an upper-body injury.
NEED TO KNOW
Tampa Bay punched its playoff ticket with Sunday’s win, and has earned a playoff berth in four of the past five seasons, reaching the East final two years ago and the Stanley Cup final in 2015 ... When the Lightning were blanked by Boston last week, it was just the second time they had been shut out this season ... Tampa Bay has gone 5-2 on an eight-game homestand that wraps up Tuesday.
UP NEXT
Thursday, at Nashville, 8 p.m.

Game Day: Maple Leafs at Lightning
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan

Game Day: Maple Leafs at Lightning

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS at TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING
Tuesday, 7:30 p.m., Amalie Arena,
TV: TSN4, Radio: 1050 AM
THE BIG MATCHUP
Andreas Johnsson vs. Anthony Cirelli

While players such as Nazem Kadri and Mitch Marner and Steven Stamkos and Nikita Kucherov have been excellent, count on a couple of rookies — Toronto’s Johnsson and Tampa Bay’s Cirelli — making an impact in the divisional rivalry for years. Neither was a high pick (Johnsson 202nd in 2013 and Cirelli 72nd in 2015) but both have shown in their initial NHL days that they have plenty of potential.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Freddy vs. Curtis
We should have a clearer idea after the morning skate whether it’s Frederik Andersen or Curtis McElhinney in the Leafs net, but it might not matter. Andersen has been the Leafs’ top performer this season, while McElhinney has been terrific as the backup, posting a .935 save percentage. Either way, the Leafs should be in good hands.
2. A powerful run
The Leafs have been lights out on the power play, going 8-for-12 in their past five games. Mitch Marner has been the catalyst, figuring on six of the goals (two plus four assists), while Morgan Rielly has five assists. Tampa Bay is not great on the penalty kill, sitting 28th overall in the NHL at home (76.1%). This could tip the scales on Tuesday night.
3. Not like last time
The Leafs lost in a shootout in Tampa just 22 days ago, going down 4-3 on Feb. 26. Afterward, Mike Babcock said “This wasn’t one of our better games by any means,” and the Leafs coach was right. Tampa Bay was 62% in possession and the Leafs were inconsistent throughout. We’ll be curious to see what Toronto has learned in going 4-2-1 since.
4. Miller fits in
Though Tomas Plekanec made his Leafs debut when the teams last met, the Leafs did not see Tampa Bay’s J.T. Miller and Ryan McDonagh, acquired from the Rangers. Miller could be a problem, as he has 10 points in nine games since the trade. Miller has six career goals against the Leafs — tied for the most he has versus any NHL club.
5. Road Woe-riors
As much as the Leafs are unbeatable at home, riding a 2017-18 NHL-best 12-game winning streak, they have had trouble recently in unfamiliar buildings, going 2-4-2 in their past eight road games, beating only lowly Detroit and Buffalo. A simple approach against a Tampa Bay team that has clinched a playoff spot should be at the top of the list.
MAPLE LEAFS LINES
LW-C-RW
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-Mitch Marner
Andreas Johnsson-William Nylander-Zach Hyman
James van Riemsdyk-Tyler Bozak-Connor Brown
Josh Leivo-Tomas Plekanec-Kasperi Kapanen
Defence pairs
Morgan Rielly-Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner-Roman Polak
Travis Dermott-Connor Carrick
Goaltenders
Frederik Andersen
Curtis McElhinney
LIGHTNING LINES
LW-C-RW
J.T. Miller-Steven Stamkos-Nikita Kucherov
Yanni Gourde-Brayden Point-Tyler Johnson
Alex Killorn-Anthony Cirelli-Adam Erne
Chris Kunitz-Cedric Paquette-Ryan Callahan
Defence pairs
Victor Hedman-Jake Dotchin
Ryan McDonagh-Dan Girardi
Mikhail Sergachev-Anton Stralman
Goaltenders
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Peter Budaj
INJURIES
Lightning — F Ondrej Palat (lower body).
Maple Leafs — C Auston Matthews (shoulder), F Leo Komarov (leg), D Nikita Zaitsev (illness).
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power play
Lightning: 24.0% (2nd)
Maple Leafs: 23.0% (4th)
Penalty kill
Lightning: 76.8% (26th)
Maple Leafs: 82.3% (9th)

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Is Matthews back in?

Also winning this goes a long way to playing Tampa in the 1st round. I think is rather them than Boston, Vasi has been looking weak lately

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Who was the better trade deadline acquisition... McDonagh or Dermott.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Matthews ruled out for Leafs-Lightning matchup, Andersen a maybe

Both Auston Matthews and goalie Frederik Andersen participated in practice on Monday. Nikita Zaitsev and Leo Komarov will also be out of the lineup on Tuesday.

Matthews ruled out for Leafs-Lightning matchup, Andersen a maybe | Toronto Star

By Mark ZwolinskiSports Reporter
Mon., March 19, 2018

Auston Matthews won’t be in the lineup when the Maple Leafs play the Lightning in Tampa on Tuesday night.
There was an air of expectation that Matthews (shoulder), along with defenceman Nikita Zaitsev (flu), would be returning to action against the Bolts after both took part in practice at MasterCard Centre on Monday, but Leafs coach Mike Babcock said neither is able to play. Same goes for Leo Komarov (suspected knee injury), who skated lightly on his own Monday but did not practise.
But there is a chance Frederik Andersen (upper-body injury) might return to the Leafs’ net even if Babcock was non-committal — “I don’t know if Freddie is ready to go,” he said — after stepping back on the ice in his usual spot at practice. The club also sent Garret Sparks back to the AHL Marlies prior to the skate, indicating Andersen’s health is no longer enough of a concern to keep a call-up on hand.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rest Andersen and Matthews and Zaitsev and Komarov for a long playoff run.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Torn on this game, a win and we may play Tampa in the first round, a loss and we may play Boston in the first. Not sure who id rather face, I think we match up better against Boston and the eye test shows that. But Tampa has really cooled off since earlier in the year, so im not sure who id rather play. It'll be a good series either way, we'll be the underdogs but we'll have a real chance of coming out of the first round with a W

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Boston scares me more when healthy.

Vasilevsky is a seive right now, our offense should eat him up.

Boston is indeed scary right now. I've been hearing for a long time now that we have a good shot at catching them and they'll slow down because their schedule is so tough, now they have all these injuries too and they just keep outplaying the opposition night after night. Apparently they had a huge edge in play again last night and picked up another point. The regular season means squat IMHO, they project to be at close to full health for the playoffs and if they are, they are going to be super tough to beat and if I had to choose, I'd probably choose to face TB too. That could change after tonight though, we'll see. Oh well, luckily it isn't up to me, I can just drink beer and wait to see what happens. Should be a great series no matter who we play.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Boston scares me more when healthy.

Vasilevsky is a seive right now, our offense should eat him up.

Not sure if he was lucky or good against Edmonton, but McDavid was involved in a handful of great chances that could be finished.

Ebbs and flows throughout the season, we can't count anyone in or out, it really depends on whether they are on the downslope or upslope.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Big night for Plekanec. First real test. He was brought in for when we face teams like Tampa Bay or Nashville with several offensive weapons.

We’ll see if he can control one of Tampa’s lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad