Seravalli: Leafs, Kings, Penguins, Devils, Hurricanes, Senators, all fits for Hellebyuck.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Wow such a sick burn :eyeroll:

Not what I suggested and also not even an interesting straw man argument. They missed the playoffs by a single point. I’m pretty sure they don’t need to mortgage all of their best futures to Winnipeg for a single year of Hellebuyck in order to get over the hump. There are a lot of ways in which they could improve slightly.

They built up a ton of assets just for this moment. Imagine if Hellebuyck was your goalie last year you don't miss the playoffs and you might be still playing

That is the problem. You can just keep all those assets and hope and pray or you can seize the chance to improve your team dramatically with all those assets you built up

Buffalo is a team that could make a very good trade and not lose a single roster player other the UPL and acquire a Vezina winner.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That is the dilemma the Leafs face. buyout or trade or keep. The buyout is cheap relatively but we have been told cap would go up for a couple years now and it hasn't. Can you risk that $2m if Cap does not go up. Any increase in Cap (and then some) is likely to be used to extend Matthews and Nylander.

I'd rather do it via trade if I could or play the hell out of him in camp so he can LTIR himself fairly quickly. I don't think LTIR is a matter of if but when. Problem is Leafs need the space to have him on opening day roster most likely unless someone goes Tonya harding on him in the offseason.

No we haven't. It's always been minimal increases until escrow is paid off. That will be done early into next season. There was questions around this year only because the NHL and NHLPA were considering doing an early increase above the minimal 1M ones.

And if the Leafs want to avoid the 2M next season, they can retain 50% this year and trade him and will only need to attach a mid-pick of some sort.

Or, as said, they can do the Mrazek type deal of trading down slightly.

Murray isn't an issue. There's a few different paths they can go.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think if the Jets move Hellebucyk that they'll get a pretty good return. There's just too many good teams that are right on the cusp that could use a top end goalie, and I think more than a couple of them will be interested.

That being said, I can also see the wisdom in not spending a lot of assets as well as a large contract on a goalie. And it's not because I don't think Hellebucyk has been one of the best for many years now, it's just from the perspective of how you want to allocate your cap dollars.

Reactions: PainForShane

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Saros is a big omission there, maybe also others that I can't think about now.

Only left him out because he hasn't had starter workload for very long.

He played 13 straight games to drag that corpse of a team into the show and stood on his head game 1.

He was simply out of gas. You get him at the 55 start range and he’s a beast in playoffs. Book it

13 straight games is not that many. The the rest is just excuses that literally fans of every team can make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad