Seravalli: Leafs, Kings, Penguins, Devils, Hurricanes, Senators, all fits for Hellebyuck.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
That's Comrie's problem, he played 19 games for the Jets in that season (not all of them were good, there were also failures), which is a very small sample. Adams and we were hoping that Comrie could make a career move, but it didn't happen, he didn't even get a big load and he fell through. Even Hutton played better than Comrie, although he also showed excellent numbers in St. Louis and he had a larger sample.

Ok? You’re getting hung up on entirely the wrong thing though. My point was and still is that the best thing Buffalo can do for its goaltending is improve its defense.

Reactions: Zman5778

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Ok? You’re getting hung up on entirely the wrong thing though. My point was and still is that the best thing Buffalo can do for its goaltending is improve its defense.
I agree that the defense needs to be improved, but I also say that the goalie needs to be improved. I don't want to see Comrie and UPL fail again and we don't make the playoffs. Upgrade goalie and defense.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

They can just wait around for another 10 years missing the playoffs till the superstars they drafted get pissed off and demand a trade and win a cup with that team.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
They can just wait around for another 10 years missing the playoffs till the superstars they drafted get pissed off and demand a trade and win a cup with that team.

Wow such a sick burn :eyeroll:

Not what I suggested and also not even an interesting straw man argument. They missed the playoffs by a single point. I’m pretty sure they don’t need to mortgage all of their best futures to Winnipeg for a single year of Hellebuyck in order to get over the hump. There are a lot of ways in which they could improve slightly.

Last edited:

pickles555

Jun 5, 2023
Calling Hellebuyck a "marginal upgrade" over Samsonov is absurd.

Why?

Last season stats......

Helly SV% .886
Sammy SV% .898

Helly GGA 3.44
Sammy GGA 3.13

I don't see much of an upgrade there

Woll's numbers were even better than Helly

Woll SV% .915
Woll GGA 2.43

If I am Toronto, I run with Sammy and Woll, give the kid a chance, he has done well

You can upgrade at TDL if need be

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Not what I suggested and also not even an interesting straw man argument. They missed the playoffs by a single point. I’m pretty sure they don’t need to mortgage all of their best futures to Winnipeg for a single year of Hellebuyck in order to get over the hump. There are a lot of ways in which they could improve slightly.and fans of a team
It's crazy how fans of a team with their competitive window opening and fans of a team whose competitive window is closing see things so differently.

I think most Jets fans were thinking we'd be perennial contenders back in 2018. And here we are.

Most Buffalo fans are so used to watching their team suck for so long that you're unaccustomed to having a team on the upswing.

At some point, it stops being about the future and it starts being about the "now". Just ask Leafs fans and Oilers fans.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It's crazy how fans of a team with their competitive window opening and fans of a team whose competitive window is closing see things so differently.

I think most Jets fans were thinking we'd be perennial contenders back in 2018. And here we are.

Most Buffalo fans are so used to watching their team suck for so long that you're unaccustomed to having a team on the upswing.

At some point, it stops being about the future and it starts being about the "now". Just ask Leafs fans and Oilers fans.

The Leafs and Oilers are excellent examples of why you shouldn’t fritter away all of your futures and cap space the second you become competitive. I’m not suggesting the Sabres shouldn’t try to improve, I’m suggesting they should do so smartly and carefully.

Reactions: Flair Hay

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020
Why?

Last season stats......

Helly SV% .886
Sammy SV% .898

Helly GGA 3.44
Sammy GGA 3.13

Woll SV% .915
Woll GGA 2.43

If I am Toronto, I run with Sammy and Woll, give the kid a chance, he has done well

It's almost like the team in front of a goalie will affect their numbers, SHOCKING i know.

Try watching a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: FerrisRox

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He’s backup. Leafs should run with Samsonov and Woll.

As was Hellebuyck. Samsonov had better numbers in the playoffs and essentially the same numbers in the regular season.

Hellebuyck has been a year in year out good goalie and plays on a worse team than Toronto. Also, Samsonov has one season being decent, but that also came with what, 4 or 5 times where he missed a little time with injury during season and playoffs. Leafs already did the backup plays pretty good behind us and becomes starter and have it fizzle at playoff time with Campbell and Samsonov is a similar tier goalie.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So if Helly plays for toronto, his numbers might improve to the equivalent of Sammy's

What's the upgrade?

If you don't see a difference between the two, you need to get your eyes checked. Hellebuyck has been a good goalie for a number of years and is one of only 3-5 goalies in the entire league that is good year to year. Vasi, Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin, and Hellebuyck and that is about it. Look at Florida, they look like the magic has worn off, because Bob is not consistent and hasn't been his whole career. One year he sucks, the next year he is awesome. Having a goalie you can count on is something to value. Look at Boston, they dominated the season because they were great all year and Ullmark went along with them with insane good performance. Playoffs hit, he was bad and the Bruins went bye bye!

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
If you don't see a difference between the two, you need to get your eyes checked. Hellebuyck has been a good goalie for a number of years and is one of only 3-5 goalies in the entire league that is good year to year. Vasi, Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin, and Hellebuyck and that is about it. Look at Florida, they look like the magic has worn off, because Bob is not consistent and hasn't been his whole career. One year he sucks, the next year he is awesome. Having a goalie you can count on is something to value. Look at Boston, they dominated the season because they were great all year and Ullmark went along with them with insane good performance. Playoffs hit, he was bad and the Bruins went bye bye!
wtf7.gif

Reactions: Magic Man

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Yeah, you must be one of the many on HF that can't seperate good goalies on bad teams not having great numbers vs if they actually got to play on a good team. Gibson has played on a dumpster fire team for 3+ years and when you watch him play he is constantly saving their bacon all night.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Not what I suggested and also not even an interesting straw man argument. They missed the playoffs by a single point. I’m pretty sure they don’t need to mortgage all of their best futures to Winnipeg for a single year of Hellebuyck in order to get over the hump. There are a lot of ways in which they could improve slightly.
I dont think many Jets fans feel a Helle trade is for 1 year. He will extend with the team he goes to IMO. Jets will do him the courtesy of not trading to a team he will hate to play for.

Question is whether he views Buffalo as being him away from contending?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why?

Last season stats......

Helly SV% .886
Sammy SV% .898

Helly GGA 3.44
Sammy GGA 3.13

Woll SV% .915
Woll GGA 2.43

Look I like Samsonov too, but you can't use such a small sample size it's completely disingenuous.

One is a Vezina trophy winer, and a 3 time finalist.

The other is Samsonov.

Hellebyuck is the better goalie and it's not even a debate

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
I know Seravalli is allegedly connected and an insider, but I feel like anything he says Leafs-related should be taken with a grain of salt.

He's got extreme anti-Toronto bias since his reporting days and I specifically remember him being "extremely confident and almost guaranteeing" that Laine was better than Matthews. The Overdrive guys laughed him off but he was very serious.

And now that he's surrounded himself with similar minds in Edmonton, he's only going to get worse.

AssaultPK

Jul 22, 2014
He’s backup. Leafs should run with Samsonov and Woll.

As was Hellebuyck. Samsonov had better numbers in the playoffs and essentially the same numbers in the regular season.

What do you do with Matt Murray? Nobody taking him unless you add your 1st round pick

Puckluck

Jan 8, 2016
Saros is a big omission there, maybe also others that I can't think about now.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What do you do with Matt Murray? Nobody taking him unless you add your 1st round pick

lol you buy him out. It's a 650Kish penalty this year, and 2M next year (when the cap is supposed to jump 4-5M)

Also, even if we opt for trade, its not adding our 1st, it would be similar to the Mrazek deal where we trade down from late first to early 2nd.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
lol you buy him out. It's a 650Kish penalty this year, and 2M next year (when the cap is supposed to jump 4-5M)

Also, even if we opt for trade, its not adding our 1st, it would be similar to the Mrazek deal where we trade down from late first to early 2nd.
That is the dilemma the Leafs face. buyout or trade or keep. The buyout is cheap relatively but we have been told cap would go up for a couple years now and it hasn't. Can you risk that $2m if Cap does not go up. Any increase in Cap (and then some) is likely to be used to extend Matthews and Nylander.

I'd rather do it via trade if I could or play the hell out of him in camp so he can LTIR himself fairly quickly. I don't think LTIR is a matter of if but when. Problem is Leafs need the space to have him on opening day roster most likely unless someone goes Tonya harding on him in the offseason.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Bobrovsky went 6 seasons of being in the top 10 for Vezina 4 times and never posting under .907. He was absolutely consistent in CBJ...

... and then became a mostly pumpkin in Florida once he got huge money.

Not all goalies are Bobrovsky, but the way moving teams and getting money just seemed to take it all out of him does make me cautious about the idea of giving up a big price for Hellebuyck.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
He was pretty bad in the playoffs.
He played 13 straight games to drag that corpse of a team into the show and stood on his head game 1.

He was simply out of gas. You get him at the 55 start range and he’s a beast in playoffs. Book it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad