Rumor: Leafs interested in Domi

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Ohh that’s coming. I’m just waiting for the Nylander trade. Nylander and his camp did this the last contract, they’re doing it again, we need upgrades on D we just signed forward depth, he’s a big a fish they could dangle for a D man

He won’t be as hard to move as you think
You'll be attaching a first to get rid of him.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Domi could play on the wing on the top line. He’s a better talent than almost anyone the Leafs have thrown next to Matthews and Marner
Max Domi is a defensively nightmarish 50 point winger who has bounced around to 7 teams. He is selfish and takes bad penalties. If he is your top line winger, y'all ain't in a good spot (as usual). Please sign him and enjoy!

Reactions: TotalHomer

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Rough napkin math using CapFriendly projections:

Leafs $500k in free cap space today with a 20 player roster.

Trade Murray, that leaves $5.2m to sign Domi and Samsonov. Then run a 21 man roster roster of 12F/7D/2G.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This has been explained over and over.
Muzzin goes on LTIR to cover the current overage and Murray gets traded with a sweetener to cover Domi and Samsonov. Timmins could also be moved if we really need the space as he has some upside but is pretty expendable.

It’s possible Nylander gets traded if they can’t agree on a contract that works for both sides but it isn’t necessary

I get that they can do all of that on day 1. But they have to be compliant exactly on the hour on day 1 before sending anyone to LTIR in order to not incur cap penalties.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Shouldn’t they focus on their D?
IMG_3322.gif

Reactions: BayStBullies

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I get that they can do all of that on day 1. But they have to be compliant exactly on the hour on day 1 before sending anyone to LTIR in order to not incur cap penalties.
You can place a player on LTIR before the season. We did it before with Horton and Clarkson.
It’s also not that hard to trade Muzzin to another team if they have to.

horner

May 22, 2007
They have 500k in cap space, Muzzin isn't playing next Season and Murray isn't returning either.

That said, I don't see how it works financially either at this point, they're far more likely to be signing a depth forward, Samsonov and calling it a summer outside of possibly a minor trade or two.
Domi in
Jamcrock out

Reactions: Kurtz

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Max Domi is a defensively nightmarish 50 point winger who has bounced around to 7 teams. He is selfish and takes bad penalties. If he is your top line winger, y'all ain't in a good spot (as usual). Please sign him and enjoy!

That sounds like Bunting. He served a role for the Leafs and we would have brought him back if we could have got him for 1 x $2.5M which is the rumoured Domi deal.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You can place a player on LTIR before the season. We did it before with Horton and Clarkson.

I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed but I could be wrong. I thought everyone under contract had to be on the "active roster" then guys could be sent to LTIR and others called up.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
ah yes "I support the current thing" guy now coming after Domi after dumping on Bertuzzi for not being vaccinated

Reactions: Metal God

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Well he’d be replacing either a 50 point player in Bunting, or a 30 point player in Kerfoot. Not the worst trade off.

If he plays on the top line both Matthews and Marner are more than competent enough defensively.

If he signs for the rumoured 2.5. It ain’t bad.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed but I could be wrong. I thought everyone under contract had to be on the "active roster" then guys could be sent to LTIR and others called up.
There is off season LTIR. I don’t know all the details but Toronto used it a couple years ago when the had both Horton and Clarkson on LTIR all season

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
He will be on the 3rd line it’s pretty obvious. Would be one of the best 3rd liners in the league easily

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I get attaching a first round pick to Mrazek. He had multiple years left. To Murray a first won’t he needed

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I get attaching a first round pick to Mrazek. He had multiple years left. To Murray a first won’t he needed
They may have attached a first to Mrazek but they got a second rounder back so really it cost them 13 spots in the draft to get rid of him.
So the idea it would cost a first for Murray is extra laughable

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

No, this is a commonly repeated misunderstanding. Teams can place players on LTIR the final day of training camp to be compliant for day 1.

Check out the CF LTIR FAQ, especially the section on Training Camp Equation.

Reactions: Daximus

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I think Domi's career has been a little disappointing, but maybe playing with elite players can change that for him. He's been on a lot of bad teams. And maybe he's not great defensively, but we have a bunch of defensively responsible forwards already, skating is a much bigger weakness for the Leafs and he can help there.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The challenge with Murray is he’s owed $6m in salary this season after retention. He’s played in 26, 20 and 27 games the past three seasons.

If he was a UFA in this market he’s looking at somewhere around $2m as a backup? That’s a $4m overpayment for Murray this season. Maybe not quite a 1st round pick in negative value, but close and should be more than a single 2nd.

Would be more cost effective for Toronto to buy him out, but if they’re pushing themselves into squeezing every last dollar for Domi and Samsonov then buying out Murray might no longer be realistic.

Reactions: socko

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No, this is a commonly repeated misunderstanding. Teams can place players on LTIR the final day of training camp to be compliant for day 1.

Check out the CF LTIR FAQ, especially the section on Training Camp Equation.

Oh that's good to know. So why not just accumulate as many LTIR players as you can, stash them away and then use that leverage to just go ham at the deadline?

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Another thing with this impending signing is Domi also brings toughness. Reaves, Domi, Bertuzzi all bring what Acciari and Bunting were supposed to and are all better players

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Oh that's good to know. So why not just accumulate as many LTIR players as you can, stash them away and then use that leverage to just go ham at the deadline?

Trading for a LTIR player doesn’t increase free cap space.

Trade for a $5m LTIR player, okay now your team can spend another $5m in relief. But that $5m player also Carrie’s his full $5m cap hit. So the net free cap space gained is $5m player - $5m LTIR relief = $0 change in free cap space.

The error many appear to make is thinking LTIR players have both $0 cap hits and provide $X in LTIR relief. Which would make no sense as that would be double dipping on cap relief, both zeroing out a players cap hit plus giving LTIR relief for a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad