TSN: Leafs in on Vatanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkiLumme

May 9, 2017
Ottawa
well we 2yrs where they played at the same level at the same age:

Age 20 AHL

Brown: 76gms, 21gls, 61pts (82gms, 23gls, 66pts)
Rackell: 46gms, 14gls, 37pts (82gms, 25gls, 66pts)

Age 22 NHL

Brown: 82gms, 20gls, 36pts (82gms, 20gls, 36pts)
Rackell: 72gms, 20gls, 43pts (82gms, 23gls, 49pts)

and of course, rakell got double the PP time brown did at 22.

Yes and for every Rakell there's a Tobias Rieder, Andrew Cogliano or Andrew Shaw. And to bring it back to Vatanen, he had nearly identical PPG to Brown (in less games) in his 22 yr old season.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
You're basically claiming to know more about the trade market than Friedman, Dreger, McKenzie, Lebrun, Button etc all of whom have indicated that there is a broad market for Vatanen and that he will bring back a good young forward piece in return.

If you want to keep saying that the Leafs have the Ducks by the throat so they better take whatever you're offering - go right ahead, but just know that by doing so you are pretending to have a better grasp of this situation than virtually every credible insider.

Any time that there is a "motivated seller" you will bring out bargain hunters.
Why do you think in sales they advertise something as having to be sold by a certain date?
This "urgency" leads buyers to believe they will be able to by the item being sold at a price lower than it's true value/traditional cost.
So it's not surprising that there is lots of interest in Vatanen just not at the price Duck's fans would like.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Why do you think in sales they advertise something as having to be sold by a certain date?
This "urgency" leads buyers to believe they will be able to by the item being sold at a price lower than it's true value/traditional cost.
So it's not surprising that there is lots of interest in Vatanen just not at the price Duck's fans would like.

This isn't a sale, it's an auction. The only way an auction price remains lower than expected is if the number of bidders is limited (it isn't, the entire league is invited and there are multiple teams reported as being interested), or if there's an extremely brief period for teams to bid (there isn't, this has been going on for weeks now).

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

And you know what the actual price is?

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Do you expect brown to post 30+ goals next year? That's a terrible comparison, they play no where near the same type of game, or have anywhere near the same skill level.

And yet Brown , without the benefit to having played in the league before, being used often in a shutdown roll against the opposing teams top line, playing on the PK and not getting as much PP time as Rackell still managed to put up similar numbers.
So why couldn't he produce similar numbers as Rackell at the same age?

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
This isn't a sale, it's an auction. The only way an auction price remains lower than expected is if the number of bidders is limited (it isn't, the entire league is invited and there are multiple teams reported as being interested), or if there's an extremely brief period for teams to bid (there isn't, this has been going on for weeks now).

The number of bidders is limited by the expansion draft handcuffing teams

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Now imagine if people asked for zaitsev or rielly what leaf fans would demand... this thread is getting good :D

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
ITT; leafs fans pump up their players

put down other teams players lmao

brown might become rakell
vatanen isnt worth a 1st
montour played bad in the playoffs
kapanen at worst will score 50+ while being an elite pk'er

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
ITT; leafs fans pump up their players

put down other teams players lmao

brown might become rakell
vatanen isnt worth a 1st
montour played bad in the playoffs
kapanen at worst will score 50+ while being an elite pk'er

JVR is a star(but willing to add leivo to him for a 4d)
Rielly is going to be a top 5 dmen in the league
Gardnir is 1 of the top shut down dmen in the league

it goes on and on, I'm just shocked this allstar team lost to the caps, maybe its a coaching issue

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-might-waive-no-move-clause-ahead-expansion-draft/

13. Don’t think the Ducks are in on Evander Kane. I’d heard that, and have seen it reported, but the Intel suggests otherwise. As half the league swoops around Sami Vatanen, the Ducks are conscious of cap concerns. I’m not sure they wish to take a ton of salary back. Certainly, from a purely hockey point of view, a Vatanen-Jonathan Drouin deal makes sense, but not sure the Ducks can fit a new deal for the talented forward. They’ve got lots of options, tough

friedman saying half the league.not just the leafs wtf

thinks drouin- vatanen makes sense. but i thought he wasnt even worth kapanen straight up????

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
And yet Brown , without the benefit to having played in the league before, being used often in a shutdown roll against the opposing teams top line, playing on the PK and not getting as much PP time as Rackell still managed to put up similar numbers.
So why couldn't he produce similar numbers as Rackell at the same age?

You're comparing apples to Oranges. Once Rakell was moved from center to wing he exploded offensively. How much do you think Brown would produce centering his own line?

I don't get this Brown played on a shutdown line all season narrative, he played a lot with Mathews.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Like I said if you can do better then Kapanen elsewhere good for you because the Leafs won't do better then Kapanen. Hats off if you manage to get Drouin lol.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Like I said if you can do better then Kapanen elsewhere good for you because the Leafs won't do better then Kapanen. Hats off if you manage to get Drouin lol.

If the cost is kapanen we might as well wait until after the expansion and pay it to Las Vegas so we don't have to expose carrick.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If the cost is kapanen we might as well wait until after the expansion and pay it to Las Vegas so we don't have to expose carrick.

Again if you guys traded carrick + kapanen to Anaheim for vatanen I think most fans would laugh at Anaheim.

Carrick is literally an irrelevant asset when you get vatanen

Oct 18, 2011
well we 2yrs where they played at the same level at the same age:

Age 20 AHL

Brown: 76gms, 21gls, 61pts (82gms, 23gls, 66pts)
Rackell: 46gms, 14gls, 37pts (82gms, 25gls, 66pts)

Age 22 NHL

Brown: 82gms, 20gls, 36pts (82gms, 20gls, 36pts)
Rackell: 72gms, 20gls, 43pts (82gms, 23gls, 49pts)

and of course, rakell got double the PP time brown did at 22.

Good luck hoping for that development curve

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Well Leafs fans; guess we are out now that Drouin is being traded for Vatanen. ...congrats Ducks fans, good haul.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Hopefully the Drouin-Vatanen or Drouin-Vatanen+ sweepstakes leave the Leafs out in the cold. I'd much rather the Ducks find other offers more attractive, as they probably will.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Again if you guys traded carrick + kapanen to Anaheim for vatanen I think most fans would laugh at Anaheim.

Carrick is literally an irrelevant asset when you get vatanen

Carrick could be exposed for us if we have to buyout Bieksa. Carrick's only use to us would be to be exposed. So yeah, Carrick + Kapanen for Vats would be a terrible deal for us.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Not to us no. Good luck with vatanen for drouin lol

Yeah, I'm sure Lou and Babcock came to multiple Duck playoff games as a favor to BM. Maybe it's also standard practice since coaches/GMs make a habit of attending other teams playoff games after they've been eliminated. I mean, Murray and RC have been at every Stanley Cup game so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad